• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Associate
Just waiting on motherboard pre-orders. One with OCUK and two with two other competitors.

Asus Extreme, Formula and Hero. No idea who’s going to come up trumps first. This ‘shortage’ is really rather annoying.

Have the RAM and the CPU in hand, and also waiting on a waterblock from EK (velocity 1700) so won’t be building until first week December at least…

Associate
Hiya.
How long you all been waiting for your mounting kits from different manufacturers?
Ive got all the gear ready except the cooling for CPU and I'm not sure what to do now to get my rig up and running... Ordered retro kit from corsairs but they've not even processed the order...

Associate
Reminder kids, just say no to Micron. Hynix or Samsung only.

aa-jpg.png

Soldato
Will be getting myself a 12700K and a Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Pro before Xmas, hopefully the Crucial Dominator 5200 memory will be available by then.

Corsair dominators are only 5200Mhz and are Micron IC's, which are the worst type of DDR5. I'd reccommend waiting for a 6200, 6400Mhz kit, as these have a MSRP of the same £400ish that the Corsair kits are currently selling at, and are signifcantly faster.

I personally opted for a temporary 16GB 4800Mhz kit to use, while I wait for a 32GB 6400Mhz Gskill or similar kit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh great.... I have the Corsair Dominators. I clearly know nothing of the world of RAM!

They're not bad, they were in fact the best you could buy on release just because they were all that was available. It's just that at close to £400 that they were being sold for (due to supply/demand) they are significantly overpriced, vs their MSRP of £280.

The 6200Mhz+ kits have MSRP's of £380-400, so once production/supply catches up, these will be much better buys and will of course be much faster.

Soldato
Corsair dominators are only 5200Mhz and are Micron IC's, which are the worst type of DDR5. I'd reccommend waiting for a 6200, 6400Mhz kit, as these have a MSRP of the same £400ish that the Corsair kits are currently selling at, and are signifcantly faster.

I personally opted for a temporary £100 16GB 4800Mhz kit to use, while I wait for a 32GB 6400Mhz Gskill or similar kit.

Meh, I guess I can wait a few more months for the faster memory.

What's wrong with Micron, is it just slower by a few %?

I really want the Dominators, like the look of them, and I already run iCue so could control them from that.

Do Corsair use Micron exclusively or do they use others, I wonder?

Soldato
Meh, I guess I can wait a few more months for the faster memory.

What's wrong with Micron, is it just slower by a few %?

I really want the Dominators, like the look of them, and I already run iCue so could control them from that.

Do Corsair use Micron exclusively or do they use others, I wonder?

Micron doesn't seem to overclock at all, most report not being able to post with anything > 5200Mhz. Whereas, Samsung or SK Hynix IC's overclock to 6400Mhz+ more easily. I imagine the XMP 3.0 kits @ 6400Mhz + will all use exclusively SK/Samsung.

Back
Top Bottom