Windows 11 upgrade - Yay or Nay at the moment?

Man of Honour
It is going to be a somewhat subjective one - some games and applications even benefit from it on the other hand some games and applications have issues currently under 11 so it will depend a bit on what you do and what you want.

Also the odd driver/hardware issue on some setups.

Overall it is no less or more terrible than Windows 10.

Soldato
I just dont like the UI changes, will wait for a classicshell or startisback to fix it, wait for the first service pack type update, then I will consider it.

Windows 10 is still been supported for another 5 years.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
It is going to be a somewhat subjective one - some games and applications even benefit from it on the other hand some games and applications have issues currently under 11 so it will depend a bit on what you do and what you want.

Also the odd driver/hardware issue on some setups.

Overall it is no less or more terrible than Windows 10.

Yup, that's why I'm not bothering atm, will possibly upgrade later when things have had a little time to mature but each to their own.

Associate
I just dont like the UI changes, will wait for a classicshell or startisback to fix it, wait for the first service pack type update, then I will consider it.

I've upgraded to Windows 11 and I have StartAllBack (made by start is back) and it's amazing. Can make the UI like Windows 10 and even have small taskbar icons (praise the lord)

Man of Honour

It amuses me how many people I talk to are all "rar rar Windows 10/11" in a newer is better kind of way but then I find they go to increasing lengths to actually make it just like Windows 7 - even some going as far as trying to block security updates despite banging on about how people should be on 10 because Windows 7 is unsupported.

Soldato
I've upgraded to Windows 11 and I have StartAllBack (made by start is back) and it's amazing. Can make the UI like Windows 10 and even have small taskbar icons (praise the lord)

Ahh so its already been done interesting, The 11 UI I think is a regression, they trying to do a win 8 again by going tablet UI, its massively padded out with huge icons lol.

I still need to compensate for lack of quick launch though, even though quick launch was officially removed back in Windows 7, it has worked since then due to the code been left in the OS, it just needs enabling which I kept doing, but it was part of the IE code, and IE of course is now fully removed from Win 11.

Now the replacement would have been pinned small icons on the start menu, but they also removed that from Win 11 so I have that dilemma. But it is good that workaround you have at least brings back small taskbar icons, sometimes I wonder what these dev's are thinking when they make these kind of changes.

I also why so many people dont care.

Only issue is my startisback keys no longer activate and when I emailed them I got no response, I literally thought the company was dead.

It amuses me how many people I talk to are all "rar rar Windows 10/11" in a newer is better kind of way but then I find they go to increasing lengths to actually make it just like Windows 7 - even some going as far as trying to block security updates despite banging on about how people should be on 10 because Windows 7 is unsupported.

Pretty much yeah, when that happens, basically its just because its "newer" they want to use it.

I did stay on 8 for a while when 10 got launched, (was made bearable with startisback), however I Also feel I jumped to 10 too late, essentially buying the 3080 forced forward my migration and I dont regret it, but by the time I moved 10 had considerable improvements over 8 (and 7), but right now 11 doesnt have that, it will of course in years to come, but not right now.

Soldato
Ahh so its already been done interesting, The 11 UI I think is a regression, they trying to do a win 8 again by going tablet UI, its massively padded out with huge icons lol.

I still need to compensate for lack of quick launch though, even though quick launch was officially removed back in Windows 7, it has worked since then due to the code been left in the OS, it just needs enabling which I kept doing, but it was part of the IE code, and IE of course is now fully removed from Win 11.

Now the replacement would have been pinned small icons on the start menu, but they also removed that from Win 11 so I have that dilemma. But it is good that workaround you have at least brings back small taskbar icons, sometimes I wonder what these dev's are thinking when they make these kind of changes.

I also why so many people dont care.

Only issue is my startisback keys no longer activate and when I emailed them I got no response, I literally thought the company was dead.

Pretty much yeah, when that happens, basically its just because its "newer" they want to use it.

I did stay on 8 for a while when 10 got launched, (was made bearable with startisback), however I Also feel I jumped to 10 too late, essentially buying the 3080 forced forward my migration and I dont regret it, but by the time I moved 10 had considerable improvements over 8 (and 7), but right now 11 doesnt have that, it will of course in years to come, but not right now.

power toys powersearch job done

Soldato
power toys powersearch job done

What happens if I dont want to use search to launch applications, I want the same I am used to not a new system others feel I should change to. :)

Why did Microsoft add app pinning, animated tiles etc. if they were to just get bored of it and replace later, its a common theme, they introduce a UI change, then remove it in next OS version as if because they are bored of it or something.

Soldato
Upgraded to 11 about a week ago on Gaming HTPC. No issues so far, though only really gamed on it. Got used to the UI in a few hours of use and a fan of it for most the part, though do get used to UI's pretty quick.

Did a full clean install, something I do every few years anyways so was kind of due. Everything is very smooth and quick, though to be honest, usually is with a clean OS, but still do like it after getting accustomed of few hours use.

Soldato
What happens if I dont want to use search to launch applications, I want the same I am used to not a new system others feel I should change to. :)

Why did Microsoft add app pinning, animated tiles etc. if they were to just get bored of it and replace later, its a common theme, they introduce a UI change, then remove it in next OS version as if because they are bored of it or something.
ah thought quick launch was the search in W7, its not its is the odd extra icons..
which icons did you use?

Caporegime
The reality is, sooner or later you'll have to move from Win7, unless you want to join the unwashed cult of people who still use XP, or Win2000, that is :p

All you can do is delay the inevitable.

I'd say that for most people, unless they know of a damned good reason not to move on, they should simply move on. All you can do is drag your feet, not stop the world from turning.

Personally I hated the Win10 UI and it's flat, nothingness. Still moved on tho, when it was time.

Thankfully they've reworked a lot of the UI in Win11, and now it's it least decent again.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The reality is, sooner or later you'll have to move from Win7, unless you want to join the unwashed cult of people who still use XP, or Win2000, that is :p

All you can do is delay the inevitable.

I'd say that for most people, unless they know of a damned good reason not to move on, they should simply move on. All you can do is drag your feet, not stop the world from turning.

Personally I hated the Win10 UI and it's flat, nothingness. Still moved on tho, when it was time.

Thankfully they've reworked a lot of the UI in Win11, and now it's it least decent again.

Problem is Windows 10/11 are not compatible with my usage - I have a variety of Windows 10 systems including higher spec than what is in my sig but I stick with the systems in my sig w/ 7 because for the broad spread of my day to day use 10 does not cut it.

I have Windows 10 running on one monitor along side my 7 systems every day - hate that flat, aesthetically objectionable UI but I just can't rely on it as an OS - the updates implementation and the way it does its own thing in respect to unattended behaviour are actual show stoppers for adopting it as a main OS so once Windows 7 is no longer viable as a main OS I literally have nowhere to go unless MS in the interim hire some people with broader vision to take the lead on the OS development.

I have some fancy GPD tablets, etc. but most days I end up using an ancient 2013 era Toshiba Encore with Windows 8.1 as I can actually rely on it - even though I dislike 8 and had to build my own start menu replacement - but at least it doesn't actively interfere with my usage of the system.

I literally had to facepalm when using 11 as in concept the UI is what a modern Windows should be but they've obviously borrowed heavily for it without understanding the design language and how the principles of it should apply to every aspect - it is actually kind of grotesque just how removed the execution of it is from the strengths of the concept. While the OS underneath still keeps all the bad things from 10 - despite a lot of talk about improvements to the user experience - in fact in some things worse as they've added additional steps or removed some useful features in some areas.

Associate
Staying with windows 10 for a while as it does everything I want well enough - gaming abs web browsing. I don’t find the UI offensive (have tweaked a bit - classic start menu) and it’s all quite quick to navigate.

Windows 11 just feels like a huge regression at the moment and not very user friendly, much like the newer versions of Outlook which make email painful.

Back
Top Bottom