The Tesla Thread

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Most defensive drivers do. I cant get on with a B road blast either with high regen, you need to be able to flex max deceleration the same way you can acceleration with the throttle. So the transition between the pedals simply ruins car balance and driver intuition.
Driving with your left foot over the brake pedal sounds totally bizarre - that’s not how you operate a car EV or not :confused:

Caporegime
It literally makes no difference to that? Do you drive with your left foot over the break pedal?
No my right foot is covering it when I’m on overrun. Cause I don’t need to hold my right foot on the accelerator to reduce regen. I guess it depends on the car. The ipace regen in high will pull 0.4g and makes passengers feel sick.

to be honest regen is such a waste of power. Better off driving in a way that needs little braking/regen in the first place

Soldato
No my right foot is covering it when I’m on overrun. Cause I don’t need to hold my right foot on the accelerator to reduce regen. I guess it depends on the car. The ipace regen in high will pull 0.4g and makes passengers feel sick.

to be honest regen is such a waste of power. Better off driving in a way that needs little braking/regen in the first place

If you've not used it then it's difficult to explain, but the one pedal mode just allows you to feather acceleration. Coming off completely is the same as softly breaking and you'd still press the break pedal if you needed to break quicker, though if you're driving sensibly that's very rare.

It's an absolute dream to use when you get used it and driving any other car where you continue rolling with your foot off the gas (particularly downhill etc) just feels weird and you have far less control imo.

Soldato
Mine for both too. High and lo. High is too high for much beyond low speed urban issues in my opinion. But then my car does the WLTP without using friction brakes and I know the pedal effort will do blended braking anyway.

more gradients would be better. I thought Tesla took away the setting

Caporegime
If you've not used it then it's difficult to explain, but the one pedal mode just allows you to feather acceleration. Coming off completely is the same as softly breaking and you'd still press the break pedal if you needed to break quicker, though if you're driving sensibly that's very rare.

It's an absolute dream to use when you get used it and driving any other car where you continue rolling with your foot off the gas (particularly downhill etc) just feels weird and you have far less control imo.
I have used it though and don’t like it. I can feather acceleration in my V8 too

Caporegime
You never cover the brake pedal unless braking?! If anything by default one pedal is safer since releasing = braking, unlike creep etc.
I’m talking about driving around country lanes or city environment and something jumps out. Always over the brake if not accelerating.

One pedal driving means your reactions are slower

Soldato
I’m talking about driving around country lanes or city environment and something jumps out. Always over the brake if not accelerating.

One pedal driving means your reactions are slower
If something jumps out in front of my car then my car applies full braking before I can react. If the car hits it, then there is nothing better I could have done myself to save the situation.

This applies to driving forward or backwards.

Soldato
I took out a Model 3 today on a test drive, I liked it, I liked it a lot.

The good:

The interior, I have to say I really like the minimalist interior, everything I touched seemed well put together and decent quality. The infotainment is really intuitive, super slick and I got used to the location within a couple of mins, voice commands worked well but I can see a few things being more difficult than needed compared to having a metric ton of buttons and switches.

I had the pick of the SR/dual/performance but I took out the SR which is what I would be looking to buy. The performance was more than any normal person really needs in a car, I don't think I can really say any more than that in the time I had it for. I had it in one pedal mode and after a couple of junctions it was pretty much second nature, I just 'got it' and by the end of the drive it felt 'odd' going back to my old manual ICE.

Tested autopilot for a few miles and autosteer felt very alien at first. I think that was as much to do with having used it before and well using it in someone else's £40k car that I'd only driven for 20 mins previously while on unfamiliar roads. I think I'd just need more time to settle into it, I'm not usually the 'back seat driver type' at all.

Thumbs up to the two chaps I spoke to today at Chelmsford, very helpful and polite and total no nonsense approach, I liked it. They knew who I was, why I was there and had me in the car within a few mins. They knew the product, explained what needed to be explained, suggested I went to Gridserve and I was off. When I got back, we had a quick chat, like two normal people, they were just genuinely helpful and just let the product do the talking instead of trying to 'close a sale' as car sales people do. It's been a few years since I have been in a car showroom but every time I have, its never been a pleasant experience, from the double glazing pressure sales approach to the 'let me just go and check that with the manager' nonsense and it just completely rubs me up the wrong way. Dealers could take a leaf our of Tesla's book here.

The bad:

It's pretty clear that the design battery pack is impacting the depth of the rear footwells and it isn't the best and I can see this could be an issue for tall people. I'm 6ft1 and it wasn't uncomfortable but if I was back there for a few hours, I would need a break to stretch my legs. It's not often you take long journeys in the back of your own car and I found the front very comfortable so I don't think it will be an issue.

Let's just say its going to be a long 4 months...;)

PS. I've seen all the Gridserve videos from all the usual outfits but in my head it was still one of those 'I'll believe it when I see it' things and now I've seen it and Rugby previously, I'm impressed. It's a great facility, I just don't know how it makes any money - there was no one charging when I pulled in.

There was an Ionic 5 parked up in the carpark which I had a quick look around. I really like the way these looked in the press photos and it also had really impressive feedback in all the video's I have seen online, my only real 'gripe' was that I thought it was a bit expensive. I've seen two in the flesh and now I have has a chance to walk round it I've completely gone off it. I don't really know how to express this in any way other than to say it's just really very ugly in the real world.

Soldato
Dealers could take a leaf our of Tesla's book here.

Having a fixed price with zero negotiation is what makes this approach possible for Tesla. There was an interesting video CNBC posted on their YouTube channel that highlighted why people dread going to buy a car, and the negotiation and fear of sorting out a deal came at the very top of the list.

Soldato
Almost certainly but I was more referring to the complete lack of any kind of ‘sell’ which you typically get at car dealers before you even start talking about the money. At the end of the day they are still competing with other car makers. They just let the product do the talking. It was very akin to an apple store retail experience.

The staff were enthusiastic but casual at the same time, It’s very different to the usual sales person pretending to look important, while trotting out the usual dodgy double glazing lines.

Soldato
Having a fixed price with zero negotiation is what makes this approach possible for Tesla. There was an interesting video CNBC posted on their YouTube channel that highlighted why people dread going to buy a car, and the negotiation and fear of sorting out a deal came at the very top of the list.

Ditto. The one thing I loved was that the only options are basically SR/LR/P? + Colour? + Tow Hitch? Rest of the software options can be added later. Compared to basically any other new car I've bought and there must be a million and one combinations and confusing packs where you need to become rainman to work out if it's better to buy the cruise control and heated seats separately or the "Driver's Comfort" pack which includes a couple of other things you don't really care about.

Back
Top Bottom