• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Caporegime
Seems bit of a lottery these 6900xt’s . Hopefully find out soon once the unicorn Ddr5 appears somewhere :p
It's really only the MSI one that has some issues with the Junction temperatures. You can expect higher junction temperatures once you go past 325W+ on air though.

It's a non issue with the XTX models, but the XTXH models have higher power limits and voltage available for overclocking, so for best results you need to put those under water - be it AIO or waterblock.

If I was going for an XTXH 6900 XT, I'd go for the Red Devil Ultimate. It looks great and it has a 110c max Junction temp.

XTXH models have a boost clock of 2425Mhz or higher, some of the Liquid cooled models have a 2525Mhz core clock. There is one XTX model with 2425Mhz boost clocks, that's the Powercolor Liquid Devil but it is not a XTXH model.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's really only the MSI one that has some issues with the Junction temperatures. You can expect higher junction temperatures once you go past 325W+ on air though.

It's a non issue with the XTX models, but the XTXH models have higher power limits and voltage available for overclocking, so for best results you need to put those under water - be it AIO or waterblock.

If I was going for an XTXH 6900 XT, I'd go for the Red Devil Ultimate. It looks great and it has a 110c max Junction temp.

Doubt I’ll be overclocking much these days, so hopefully totally fine at stock levels! Plays up I got a year to return I’m guessing.

Caporegime
Doubt I’ll be overclocking much these days, so hopefully totally fine at stock levels! Plays up I got a year to return I’m guessing.
Same. I’m undervolting mine. I bought it because it was a decent price, didn’t even realise it was a better binned chip (or there were hotspot temp issues).
Yes, price is good for an XTXH model. If you run stock and undervolt you should be fine btw, just keep the power limit at or below 300W.

I bet you would also get better results with a re-paste and using Liquid Metal. I was tempted to get one myself and try it given the price, but that video put me off.

HWINFO64 will measure the power limit you can set (GPU PPT Limit) using the Power Limit slider in Radeon Software, using that you should be able to set it to around 300W by adjusting the power limit up or down, depending on what the stock power limit is for the MSI Bios.

The screenshot below is taken from my 6800 XT Midnight Black Edition MBA card. Stock power limit was 255W, power limit set to -6%. +15% power limit gives a PPT Limit of 293W.
PWzk3UL.png

Soldato
Yes, price is good for an XTXH model. If you run stock and undervolt you should be fine btw, just keep the power limit at or below 300W.

I bet you would also get better results with a re-paste and using Liquid Metal. I was tempted to get one myself and try it given the price, but that video put me off.

HWINFO64 will measure the power limit you can set (GPU PPT Limit) using the Power Limit slider in Radeon Software, using that you should be able to set it to around 300W by adjusting the power limit up or down, depending on what the stock power limit is for the MSI Bios.

The screenshot below is taken from my 6800 XT Midnight Black Edition MBA card. Stock power limit was 255W, power limit set to -6%. +15% power limit gives a PPT Limit of 293W.
PWzk3UL.png

Ok thanks for that, been a while since I’ve done any OC related stuff(like 8 years I think)so well out of the loop!

Associate
I am lazy and just use the Radeon auto turning to undervolt to 1175mv, the fans curve with these auto settings seems to be more aggressive (around +10% rpm and no zero rpm) than the default settings.

Soldato

PWzk3UL.png

Going for the normal Red Devil to replace the MSI. Can’t sit here thinking it’s a dud while I wait for the Ddr5 to turn up

Soldato
I was getting quite frustrated with my 6900XT with stutters (trying to play forgotten city), i was cursing it, installed it on my other pc with a 3090 and the same thing happening, pretty shoddy these game developers putting out stuff that makes these high end cards look rotten.

Soldato
Guys I know this isn't really the right place for questions but thought I'd ask here amongst owners rather than make a thread.
I've been out of the PC scene for a while, currently using a 8700k and a 2070super, looking at getting back into it all with a high end build, eying up these two:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39m-sp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-46b-as.html

Any first hand experience of using either? Are the AIO options worth it?
It's been hard work deciding which route to go down, either 6900xt or 6800xt, I'm still not 100% yet but leaning more towards the 6900xt.
Any experiences and thoughts would be most welcome.
Cheers

Caporegime
Guys I know this isn't really the right place for questions but thought I'd ask here amongst owners rather than make a thread.
I've been out of the PC scene for a while, currently using a 8700k and a 2070super, looking at getting back into it all with a high end build, eying up these two:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-39m-sp.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-46b-as.html

Any first hand experience of using either? Are the AIO options worth it?
It's been hard work deciding which route to go down, either 6900xt or 6800xt, I'm still not 100% yet but leaning more towards the 6900xt.
Any experiences and thoughts would be most welcome.
Cheers
The Sapphire is probably the best overall 6900 XTXH out there all things considered. The Strix is probably second. Depends on whether your case can fit the rads. That is assuming you will use the provided coolers.

If you intend to put a block on the GPU then you can widen your search a little and consider some of the other options, such as the Red Devil Ultimate or the Asrock Challenger/Gigabyte Xtreme/XFX EKWB/MSI Gaming Z Trio.

Make sure you pair a 6900 XT with a Alder Lake or Ryzen 5000 series (5600X or better) CPU please. Anything less will hold you back performance wise.

Last edited:
Soldato
The Sapphire is probably the best overall 6900 XTXH out there all things considered. The Strix is probably second. Depends on whether your case can fit the rads. That is assuming you will use the provided coolers.

If you intend to put a block on the GPU then you can widen your search a little and consider some of the other options, such as the Red Devil Ultimate or the Asrock Challenger/Gigabyte Xtreme/XFX EKWB/MSI Gaming Z Trio.

Make sure you pair a 6900 XT with a Alder Lake or Ryzen 5000 series (5800X or better) CPU please. Anything less will hold you back performance wise.

:eek: I'm running a 5600X as that was sold as all you need for gaming!

Back
Top Bottom