Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don
I suspect both will leave for free and to me a business person it shocks me that Manchester United have allowed assets to be in a position to leave for nothing.

I am even more staggered at PSG for allowing Mbap to do the same.
Believe it or not, football clubs typically aren't run by idiots. Utd (PSG or whoever) haven't just allowed players to run their contracts down for the sake of it but unfortunately sometimes there's little clubs can do and they're left with no win situations.

Take Lingard as an example, he has reportedly refused to agree a new deal and also refused to leave last summer - what more could Utd do? You may say they should have done something about his situation a year or two earlier but do you think Utd weren't open to selling Lingard 2 years ago? Of course they were but finding a buyer for him isn't easy. There aren't a host of clubs queuing up for Lingard and the type of clubs that were or are interested in him couldn't or wouldn't pay the wages he was earning. Lingard is probably earning more at Utd than any player at West Ham for example. The fact that Utd have struggled to sell Lingard in the past couple of years is a direct consequence to them extending his contract previously.

Like Lingard, I have no doubt Utd have been willing to let Pogba go for the past couple of seasons but nobody will pay anything meaningful for him. If Utd give Pogba a new contract they wouldn't be protecting his value, they'd be stuck with him. If Utd couldn't sell him 6-18 months ago, they've got no chance of selling him when he's just signed a new 5 year £400k per week contract, which is what he'll no doubt demand. Utd's decision with Pogba is do they want to keep Pogba around and if so, is he worth giving a massive contract to? One of the considerations when making that decision will be the knock on effects with other players contracts. It's one thing paying Ronaldo £400-500k per week but when you're giving it to Pogba then Fernandes and everybody else who is considered more important to the side will be demanding those figures too.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Not sure I agree with some of that Baz. I have repeatedly read that United haven't sold players because they are squabbling over a few million. I thought the generally accepted wisdom was that WHU wanted Lingard this summer but United wouldn't budge on the price they wanted for him and WHU were unwilling to pay Lingard what he wanted as well as paying United what they wanted.

Pogba is a weird one because I think there is a certain level of ambivalence towards him from the club. They realise that he is a top talent when he is in form (same as Martial) and they keep hoping that he will get some consistency to his game. Hes also fantastically marketable. I imagine that they are also pricing him far to high when clubs come knocking.

With the delta between the money in the PL and every other league bar the oil clubs, more and more PL clubs are going to have this issue with their deadwood. No one outside of the PL will be able to afford their wages so clubs will either have to take hits on transfer fees, subsidise wages or keep players.

Oh and United 100% are run by idiots. What sort of club with the lure and resources of United that is clearly being run as a cash cow doesn't maximise their profits by, you know, being good on the pitch, winning trophies and triggering those tasty performance related clauses in contracts they sign with corporate partners.

Soldato
I disagre, lingard is a bit different, but pog and Mbap were top talent when purchased and clubs have allowed them to get to a situation where both could end up signing for Madrid in 4 weeks time for free.

They basically had 4 years to lock them down. In the olden days it would have been you sign or you play for the under 18s

Soldato
I disagre, lingard is a bit different, but pog and Mbap were top talent when purchased and clubs have allowed them to get to a situation where both could end up signing for Madrid in 4 weeks time for free.

They basically had 4 years to lock them down. In the olden days it would have been you sign or you play for the under 18s
**** happens to be honest. I’d be more concerned if they were trying to tie him down to a new contract with an extortionate weekly pay as it would highlight the ineptitude of the club even more. Just let Pogba and Jlingz go and be done with it.

Don
I disagree as well lingard is a bit different, but pog and Mbap were top talent when purchased and clubs have allowed them to get to a situation where both could end up signing for Madrid in 4 weeks time for free.

PSG have been trying to convince Mbappe to sign a new deal for ages but he's refusing to sign a new deal. PSG also don't care about missing out on a transfer fee - they'd rather keep him in the hope that he could help them win the CL this year than cash in on him. We also know from Raiola's comments well over a year ago that Pogba has refused to sign a new deal too. Unlike PSG, Utd would have sold Pogba but who is buying him and would he leave?

The 4 years to lock them down comment is a bit mad too. If a player already has 4 or 5 years on their contract what do you want clubs to do? Give out 10 year contracts. You can't just force a player to sign a new deal either and we are starting to see more and more players take the decision to run their contracts down so that they're in the driving seat when it comes to contract negotiations.

Soldato
Feel like Jim's completely disregarding that player power is key now, if they're not wedded to the shirt then they will serve themselves on the factors of success, play time and pay.

Which isn't even an issue... Well run and good clubs will keep their stars the vast majority of the time. United haven't been that for 9 years now. They have such little bargaining power beyond their bank account which is indicative of the ridiculous wage structure that currently exists at the club.

Ralf's philosophy and success has been at clubs with far different operating models to United of the last 9 years (recruit young, develop, nurture, prosper as a club and then allow them to leave with the club fully compensated - like Dortmund). It's going to be interesting to see how adapts his philosophy or if he'll find himself at odds and we hear very little of his involvement in 12-18 months time.

Last edited:
Soldato
PSG have been trying to convince Mbappe to sign a new deal for ages but he's refusing to sign a new deal. PSG also don't care about missing out on a transfer fee - they'd rather keep him in the hope that he could help them win the CL this year than cash in on him. We also know from Raiola's comments well over a year ago that Pogba has refused to sign a new deal too. Unlike PSG, Utd would have sold Pogba but who is buying him and would he leave?

The 4 years to lock them down comment is a bit mad too. If a player already has 4 or 5 years on their contract what do you want clubs to do? Give out 10 year contracts. You can't just force a player to sign a new deal either and we are starting to see more and more players take the decision to run their contracts down so that they're in the driving seat when it comes to contract negotiations.[/QUOTE

Nope you deal with it midway, 2 years in you start talking if no luck you list them, force them out.

It's poor and if you disagree that's fine. PSG might not care about the money.... (I am sure they do BTW)

But whoever gets on Kylian Mbappé aged 22 on a free transfer will be pinching themselves daily.

Soldato
Feel like Jim's completely disregarding that player power is key now, if they're not wedded to the shirt then they will serve themselves on the factors of success, play time and pay

I get all that, but you start early lay it out. You sign or you're sold, you don't want to be sold, but not sign then you don't play in the 1st team.

Don
Nope you deal with it midway, 2 years in you start talking if no luck you list them, force them out.

It's poor and if you disagree that's fine. PSG might not care about the money.... (I am sure they do BTW)

But whoever gets on Kylian Mbappé aged 22 on a free transfer will be pinching themselves daily.
You can't force players out. This is why pretty much every club has players on their books that they don't want but they can't shift.

As for PSG, they literally turned down €180m for Mbappe in the summer despite Mbappe saying he won't sign - they don't care. And nobody will be getting Mbappe for free - at least half of that €180m that PSG turned down will now go to Mbappe.

And we're now wildly off topic.

Soldato
You can't force players out. This is why pretty much every club has players on their books that they don't want but they can't shift.

As for PSG, they literally turned down €180m for Mbappe in the summer despite Mbappe saying he won't sign - they don't care. And nobody will be getting Mbappe for free - at least half of that €180m that PSG turned down will now go to Mbappe.

And we're now wildly off topic.

Ok I will leave it there and get back on topic.

Which was having an interim may not be the best option for contract situations, but the deed is done.

Soldato
Another German enters the fray! Klopp said it’s bad news , about time things got serious :p

Forgot about Martial, he’s a bit like Berbatov isn’t he talented at times but no energy off the ball

shame we got rid of James? Was a bit like a dog run into the ground . Could have been played in the right position and done so much better.

at the right team with Leeds though now.

Caporegime
Another German enters the fray! Klopp said it’s bad news , about time things got serious :p

Forgot about Martial, he’s a bit like Berbatov isn’t he talented at times but no energy off the ball

shame we got rid of James? Was a bit like a dog run into the ground . Could have been played in the right position and done so much better.

at the right team with Leeds though now.

What position :confused: Haven't heard a single thing about him at Leeds so I assume he's been nothing special.

fez

fez

Caporegime
We're not trying to claim James is actually a footballer are we? Fast and a great work ethic but fantastically limited when it comes to actually kicking a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom