Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
They aren't going to throw out the entire coaching team mid-season. They will get the job done with some direction - and we need some people to put the cones out :p Rangnick is bringing at least a couple of people in.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Fingers crossed he will bring in some skilled coaches and Carrick etc will be able to learn from them before they are let go at the end of the season.

Just can't shake that nagging feeling that despite our apparent willingness to actually move in the right direction we are still hoping that Carrick and co. will be the future of the club.

I'm intrigued to see what we do manager wise. Is Rangnick 100% gone as manager at the end of the season. Will they give it until Feb to see how hes getting on an reassess then? Will they go for Poch or someone like ETH.

As much as I am super positive right now I am just waiting to see how United **** this up spectacularly and revert to form.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fingers crossed he will bring in some skilled coaches and Carrick etc will be able to learn from them before they are let go at the end of the season.

Just can't shake that nagging feeling that despite our apparent willingness to actually move in the right direction we are still hoping that Carrick and co. will be the future of the club.

I'm intrigued to see what we do manager wise. Is Rangnick 100% gone as manager at the end of the season. Will they give it until Feb to see how hes getting on an reassess then? Will they go for Poch or someone like ETH.

As much as I am super positive right now I am just waiting to see how United **** this up spectacularly and revert to form.

Pretty sure if we get a top managers in come July he will bring his own team in. It's what normally happens

Soldato
Didn’t LVG and Mourinho have their own coaches? I know the latter had his own assistant but obviously Carrick was there too.

I get what Roy means though about “helping the boys”, obviously the thinking was to have coaches that know the culture and identity of the club but times have moved on. You need the right coaches at the right time and not every coach will be up to the task. Regardless of whether they played for the club or not.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pretty sure if we get a top managers in come July he will bring his own team in. It's what normally happens

Oh whoever comes in will 100% bring their own people. That doesn't mean that the idiots in charge at OT won't make sure that anyone they want to remain won't remain. You can always say that the manager can bring in their own people but Carrick must be involved in first team coaching etc.

I get what Roy means though about “helping the boys”, obviously the thinking was to have coaches that know the culture and identity of the club but times have moved on. You need the right coaches at the right time and not every coach will be up to the task. Regardless of whether they played for the club or not.

That sort of thinking is bordering on the retarded however... culture and identity have nothing to do with being a good coach. Being good at teaching people and expressing ideas and principles is useful for a coach. Its exactly the sort of thinking that kept Ole in a job for so long. Ignoring the main thing that is required for a job and prioritising the minor aspects. It would be like a bank hiring an investment banker because he was an amoral **** rather than because he was actually good at making money. The top guys are both but if you had to pick one, you would pick the guy that is actually good at the job.

Soldato
Oh whoever comes in will 100% bring their own people. That doesn't mean that the idiots in charge at OT won't make sure that anyone they want to remain won't remain. You can always say that the manager can bring in their own people but Carrick must be involved in first team coaching etc.

That sort of thinking is bordering on the retarded however... culture and identity have nothing to do with being a good coach. Being good at teaching people and expressing ideas and principles is useful for a coach. Its exactly the sort of thinking that kept Ole in a job for so long. Ignoring the main thing that is required for a job and prioritising the minor aspects. It would be like a bank hiring an investment banker because he was an amoral **** rather than because he was actually good at making money. The top guys are both but if you had to pick one, you would pick the guy that is actually good at the job.

Completely agree.. at least they have learnt now and adapting which is what’s required. Definitely a couple years behind City and co though still.

Don
Just a little advanced notice. At some point later tonight this thread will be locked - Ole's been sacked and his replacement appointed which was what this thread was for. You can use the Utd thread for discussing how players might fit into his system and all that sort of stuff. We'll no doubt have a transfer thread for any Utd/Rangnick transfer links and obviously match chat goes in the matchday threads.

Man of Honour
Not really. They are assets and you sometimes need to invest in them before you can flip them.

Neither will sign a new deal based on a interim managers views so you will get nothing for them. That's makes no logical sense. Why would either move in Jan for any fee when they can limp through to may and get even more money ?

So you paid them all year and get nothing back. I would imagine that would amount to a good 150mil in Pogba's case. Letting him leave for free twice is a utter joke.
This made sense years ago when wages were lower. In fact in the 90s I did this on Champ Manager all the time, sign players up on 5 year deals to make them worth more regardless of whether they would get many games for me. The max wage was £9999/week.

However the issue now is players like Pogba will be on mega-money. So if you sign him on a new deal, he will demand absolutely top whack, because he knows another club will pay him that much if they don't have to pay a transfer fee. Juve pay Aaron Ramsey £400k/week for this very reason, because he was a Bosman, so how much would they pay a higher rated player with prior experience of doing very well at their club Pogba? So then MU have Pogba tied down on a new deal but he costs ~£2m/month in wages. This then rules out a lot of options, not many teams can afford to buy him out of his contract at MU AND then also pay him the same wages. So there's a risk of it backfiring if you sign him up again, it's a Winston Bogarde situation but at 10x the price because of the escalation in wages since then.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Pogbas issue will be that there are few clubs that would want him and be able to afford the wages he would want. Juventus went nuts for a few years there and weren't rewarded for it. The Spanish clubs are largely bankrupt and Bayern are too sensible to pay Pogba what he wants. PSG is the only sensible destination but I am not sure they want him.

Would be funny if he runs down his contract and still has to take a pay cut or get paid the same as at United.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom