How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Man of Honour
Just the one here a 3b+ running octoprint. I did fiddle around with it a little and did quite like it. Some of the projects in here are really cool. I keep meaning to get one to play with but have little real world use for them aside from tinkering.

Soldato
I've put the shelly between the meter and consumer unit so it measures total usage (I think), been turning more lights off than usual ;)

Ah I didn't realise they made one with a CT clamp, although that's quite expensive considering you could make something up for quarter of the price. Which is unusual as shelly devices were pretty well priced.

Associate
Ah I didn't realise they made one with a CT clamp, although that's quite expensive considering you could make something up for quarter of the price. Which is unusual as shelly devices were pretty well priced.

Not sure about a quarter of the price given the effort needed to build in all the web functionality, I always was a lazy coder though. Happy with my used item :)

Associate
Has anyone done much with object detection and general machine learning? I'm thinking of doing a project for an autonomous vehicle with object tracking capabilities, but would likely need to have better ML processing through something like a Coral or NCS2 USB type interface.

Looks like there are a few good tutorials out there, but is anyone else working in this space?

Soldato
I now have 4 Raspberry Pi's. The 4th arrived today unexpectedly, a free Zero 2 W from Magpi Magazine.

Pi Number 1: 8Gb PI 4 which is used as a desktop computer/talking to headless Zero machine.

Pi Number 2: 2Gb Pi 4 running Apache and I am using it as a server to test my web programming on.

Pi Number 3: Pi Zero W which is running headless and used to photograph Hedgehogs in the feeding station.

Pi Number 4: Pi Zero 2 W, which is sitting in an antistatic bag waiting to be found a use for.....

All these Pi's and I do not even have a wispy beard or strong spectacles.

Interested in the 3 one as we too have visiting hedgehogs. How do you power it and so forth? Wouldn't mind building something similar.

Associate
At the moment it is powered by outdoor extension lead as the feeding box is outside the dining room window. It has just been upgraded to the Pi Zero 2 W. I ought to try batteries and/or solar charging but never quite get round to it.

Don
I'm wanting to get a Steam cache going. I've already got my 4B pretty busy doing other things so I might try it on a 3B+
I'd be surprised if a 3B+ can provide much throughput with lancache given the shared usb/Ethernet.

Cheap Lenovo tiny/dell micro/hp mini is a better option imo.

(I use a Lenovo m700 tiny for my lancache instance and other Docker/VMs under esxi)

Associate
Raspberry pi 3b+ running, portainer, bitwarden and pihole on docker containers.

Want to also add a nas capability more so a network share for central storage, but I'm aware its throughput speeds are shared by the USB and network port bus so I've held off...plus it's powered from a mobile Samsung charger so that won't help to.

Soldato
Updated my post with Raspberry Pi Zero for temperature monitoring fridge, freezer and combi boiler central heating output / return temps.

Enables me to tweak the fridge / freezer to minimise power usage (why they don't all come with temperature readings / settings instead of a "1-5" setting is beyond me!).

Also to monitor the combi boiler to ensure return temps as low as possible to maximise condensing mode efficiency.

Also running a full BTC node using Umbrel on a Pi 4 4GB

Associate
pi4 8gb running hassio plus a bunch of addons like grafana, influxdb, adguard - running off a usb3-sata adapter with a 120gb ssd, no SD cards will be ruining my life thank you very much :D Powered by a PoE hat off a unifi PoE switch

Associate
1 zero with Pihole and a other zero sitting in a box, used to be an IR movement camera but I got bored with that. Might sell it and pay for a holiday ;)

Soldato
I have 2 RPI3 and 1 RPI4 I with occasionally. I have one set up as a share between my 3 pcs to swap files. Problems I have are that if I get something working then when I look at it a few months later something in raspbian has been updated and it doesn't work. Another issue is that coding away from simple tasks is not well documented and the only way is can achieve things is to copy code from projects I find on the web. A lot of the projects on the web were written when the rpi was first produced and the code is out of date.

Projects in the MagPi magazine a generally too complicated

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom