How many Raspberry Pis do you have and what are they used for?

Associate
I've noticed lately that my philips Hue bridge has a large amount of requests compared to normal (19001) .. apart from unblocking the domain's that it keeps trying to connect to is there any other way of stopping the constant trying to connect?

I don't need the cloud side of things so have also blocked any outbound connection via firewall.

Last edited:
Commissario
OP
The detailed Pi-hole discussion had gone a long way off topic so I've moved the posts into the Pi-hole thread. Our discussion about adlists starts around here:

Soldato
Now that it's possible to actually buy a Pi I've been making some changes so now have the following.

Pi 4, 4Gb. Pi-Hole & Sonos HTTP API so that I can group speakers using Siri Shortcuts.
Pi 4, 2Gb. 2nd Pi-Hole. Kept in sync with primary Pi-Hole using gravity sync. Runs an rsync job to download backups of my UniFi controller and push them to OneDrive.
Pi 4, 4Gb. Flight tracker reporting to Flight Aware & Flight Radar 24. Also running a RIPE Atlas Probe.
Pi 4, 2Gb. PiVPN (WireGuard & OpenVPN) & Cloudflare Tunnels endpoint.
Pi 4, 4Gb. Home Assistant.

They're all powered using PoE HAT's and using the Pi Hut PoE case. Quality of the case is pretty poor, but they do the job.

Last edited:
Associate
One pi zero w which I was running home assistant on for a while - it's a bit slow for this but worked for my use case with a few devices. That was quite fun and got me into programming again for a side project I wanted to use with it, which eventually led to a job.
I also have a single Pico which I'm using in an input labs alpakka controller which is quite an interesting project..

Associate
I run a RPI 4 as a VPN server running Wireguard. Used when I need to access my NAS or camera NVR remotely.

During lockdown, I bought a few ESP32 modules. A lot cheaper than the PI (and easier to get hold of at the time of writing) and during lockdown I turned a dumb analog burglar alarm into a smart alarm, with web access and email notifications. Great fun.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its worth it or not?

I don't think so. Web hosting from home isn't worth the bother in my opinion when you look at how cheap commercial hosting is. That commercial hosting will be more reliable, more up to date and faster.

I've done it in the past (I used to host loads of stuff at home) but really don't see the point these days.

Associate
Almost a full Pi family here.

Pi Zero W - runs retro pie in a handheld gameboy like shell.
Pi 1 with 128MB ram, the earlier first one. Currently unused.
Pi 2 - runs pi hole attached to my router
Pi 3 - currently unused
Pi 4 - Runs retro pie, sometimes attach it to tv.

Associate
4x zeros for cctv
1 x 4 for unifi controller and pihole
1x 4 for home assistant
1x 4 for thin client in shed
2x 3 for future greenhouse project
1x zero w for bee monitoring

Associate
I am planning to add 4 load cells to the corners of the hive to give me a live read out of the hive weight so I can determine the amount of honey in the supers. Also as you have said a camera to watch coming and going along with a temp humidity sensor for hive internals

Associate
Current RPi in use;

1x Pi 4 8GB - PLEX
1x Pi 4 8GB - Pi-Hole, network DHCP, Transmission.
1x Pi 4 4GB - OpenWrt, started off as being a bit of a novelty to mess with SQM, but I am surpised how good it is (replacing my Vodafone router on a 500mb/s Openreach connection).

Then i've got a 2x 1B, a 2B and 2x 3B sitting around waiting for a use (it sounds wasteful, but I have been using RPi since their release).

Back
Top Bottom