BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
My 3 series GT needs new disks. It's a 328i GT, it wasn't mentioned during the MOT that BMW did last month but was picked up by ATS when replacing my tyres last week.
What kinda price would i be looking at the 4 discs including labour? Pads have loads of life according to the iDrive.

Soldato
Joe Achilles didn't like it, reporting a major lack of space and noted BMW offered better packages for less money.
yes doesn't have the rear passenger space his 3 GT has, wonder if I should shun frameless too (always have frost problems, even on cars even with frames), and, at a premium, as JA says vs 3. ... red is nicer than the green.

Soldato
yes doesn't have the rear passenger space his 3 GT has, wonder if I should shun frameless too (always have frost problems, even on cars even with frames), and, at a premium, as JA says vs 3. ... red is nicer than the green.
I like Sanremo Green metallic and it would be my choice if I was buying a M440i GC or i4 M50

Soldato
I subsequently watched JA's review of the m340i g** touring (with gold wheels) was interesting it didn't have the front strut-braces that were prominent in the 440i videos,
looks as though you can get the M-sport LSD (my vid acclaimed) even on a M330i, but, have read some comments that its perceptible benefits on a lower powered 330 are questionable.

Man of Honour
looks as though you can get the M-sport LSD (my vid acclaimed) even on a M330i, but, have read some comments that its perceptible benefits on a lower powered 330 are questionable.

There is no M330i. The only M Performance 3 Series are the M340d and the M340i.

Soldato
The only M Performance 3 Series are the M340d and the M340i.

ok - so that's not the uk -I had been reading an australian thread - which has some intereseting technical information on g20 M-sport suspension/drive I'd not seen before.
taster

The BMW 3 series M- Sport front sway bar is firm & heavy relative to the softer front spring rates. At times the front sway-bar may overwhelm the front springs with heave when one-wheel bumps are struck mid corner with the outside front wheel loaded. The driver can feel the transverse lateral force of the sway-bar twisting & flexing across the front end of the vehicle. When the outside front wheel is really loaded up at greater speed, you not only feel the loss of independence of the front end, but you can see the front sway-bar pushing the inside front unloaded front mud-guard down limiting the chassis body roll.

The loss of independence in the front end is not a pleasant feeling for the driver when striking one-wheel bumps mid-corner. The stiffer sway-bar overwhelms the softer front springs, trading off independence for a flat cornering stance. The longitudinal heaving forces are not violent enough to through the BMW off-line mid-corner. It does upset the natural flow of the chassis when impacting one-wheel bumps with the loaded outside tyre. This issue may relate to owners who drive out in the country on rougher B-grade country roadways.

BMW may have alternatively gone for a stiffer front spring rate and smaller, lighter more flexible front sway bar. This would make the ride firmer all of the time, but added some independence when striking mid-corner bumps.

Or better still: BMW may have ditched the versatile front strut suspension for a double-wishbone front end akin to the larger brother 5 series. The BMW 5 series has a great reputation for striking that balance between ride comfort/handling balance. Double-Wishbone suspension does a better job of consistently keeping the tyre in contact with the roadway. It provides for more consistent negative camber, reducing tyre scrub as the chassis leans from side to side. A double-wishbone front end may have allowed BMW to have a smaller & lighter front sway-bar, allowing for greater independence for the front end of the 3 series. ...
The ZF 8-speed auto gearbox is not as compact as the earlier generation ZF 6-speed auto. This may explain why the transmission tunnel of the G20 3 series BMW is quite wide. ..
...creating a slightly offset seating position for the driver and front passenger.

edit: I guess the distinction you are making is between, say a 340i M sport , and a M340i ...

Last edited:
Soldato
I like the XM.
Clearly it's a concept designed to generate online discussion. The production version will look very different - i.e. those front lights will need to change.
Also, it's going to be out of most people's price range, being the 'most expensive BMW ever made' and probably fully allocated already.

Soldato
Opinions on design and aesthetics is a very objective, personal thing.
The Tesla Cyber Truck has over 1.2 million pre-orders and look at that !

MOst of those will never be legally transacted, ie every single deposit for EU market buyers.

How many preorders did the iX have, cos this is iX + Monkfish = XM. Another world of WTAF.

Of course at the other end we have the New Range Rover....

Soldato
I like the XM.
Clearly it's a concept designed to generate online discussion. The production version will look very different - i.e. those front lights will need to change.
Also, it's going to be out of most people's price range, being the 'most expensive BMW ever made' and probably fully allocated already.

I love how tall she is

Caporegime
I like the XM.

Why will those front lights need to change? I am sure I had read, before this XM "model" appeared, that was the way BMW were going with all their headlights on upcoming models.

Back
Top Bottom