Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Looking to add a bit of pizzazz to my coffee making, just because. Do bottomless portafilters add anything to the experience other than looking mighty cool? I'd assume it would help me work out if I'm getting channeling?

Also, any decent scales around? The cheap ones I got are fine for weighing but they're a bit slow when it comes to actually timing the shot as it jumps up quite quickly.

They help with technique but can be a bit of a rabbit hole chasing perfect visual pours especially if you use VST baskets that are fussy about puck prep.

The main reason I use it all the time is it allows a bigger mug under the filter with scales. I drink mainly 21g triple shots so for those I pull the shot directly into a mug and top with water or steamed milk.

Soldato
Same, I use my bottomless when I'm pulling straight into a mug.

Need a new group head gasket for my Mara, any recommendations? Silicon, or OEM?

Associate
I find bottomless good for learning, but it’s also easier to even tamp as can get it flatter on surface. It’s definitely better for some larger mugs too as stated. I don’t honestly see any disadvantage other than when first starting and haven’t got your technique right it’s sputters and spurts, but once you mastered it that’s gone. My machine came with both and after using standard one for 6m or so I switched just to see and haven’t switched back. My traditional now is just my backflusher

Soldato
Going back Moka pots for a sec... I'm after a small 2 cup one (90ml I think?). Can you get Bialetti stainless steel ones at that size? I'm struggling to find one yet it seems it's well worth getting stainless steel rather than the normal aluminium ones. Also, does anyone know how much coffee grams that 2 cupper would take?

I'm a white Americano drinker via Aeropress normally but occasionally want something shorter pre-cycle ride (and I figure 90ml can be diluted to a small Americano too if I just want to mix up brew methods a bit)

Soldato
Missed out on this by a matter of minutes yesterday on FB Marketplace — gutted!

tRuClqSl.png.jpg
Damn! I caught a similar deal once... I wanted a grinder, spotted that Bodum up as a freebie with a Delonghi ICO310 for £35. Jumped on it for the grinder, but had a good couple of years out of the espresso machine too. Bargain however you looked at it!

Soldato
£35 ?! That is the older (better) one too. He is like missing a zero off that.

My thoughts exactly!

Damn! I caught a similar deal once... I wanted a grinder, spotted that Bodum up as a freebie with a Delonghi ICO310 for £35. Jumped on it for the grinder, but had a good couple of years out of the espresso machine too. Bargain however you looked at it!

Nice catch. :)

I will continue to keep an eye out for a deal but I'd be amazed if anything that good comes up again, especially as it was literally (and I mean, literally) around the corner. <sigh>

Soldato
Soldato
Like the previous gaggia, lower than ebay typical price, and, if you can see/collect it without putting gallons of petrol in the car, could be a bargain,
plus, with charity, the option to take it back immediately if it had issues.

Black friday damp squib Other than Rave etc. mailing out black friday vouchers didn't see any black friday coffee deals eg breville.

Soldato
One for 80 here.

Please view this ad:

Coffee machine gaggia #47473 £80,
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/...ampaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_android

Price: £ 80

Like the previous gaggia, lower than ebay typical price, and, if you can see/collect it without putting gallons of petrol in the car, could be a bargain, plus, with charity, the option to take it back immediately if it had issues.

That is a decent deal, but a round-trip from Cornwall to Essex means it's a no-go for me. :)

Soldato
So actually fancy an Aeropress, both for home use and to take on hikes with me as be nice to have a decent coffee. Assume I'll want to go for the newer Go Travel version unless it makes worse coffee than the original?

Soldato
So actually fancy an Aeropress, both for home use and to take on hikes with me as be nice to have a decent coffee. Assume I'll want to go for the newer Go Travel version unless it makes worse coffee than the original?
I'd check James Hoffman's video. I think he ended up preferring the original. It's pretty compact already, unless you're desperate for those last few CCs of bag space.

Back
Top Bottom