Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Breville max - ok curry's excellent deal still at 299 - I don't get that barista express is much more expensive there
and seems to have all the same functionality like temperature&pre-infusion adjustment, 58mm portafilter
-doesn't seem to have timed grinder like express - personally would be a don't care as I always grind/weigh individual shots (Rocky)

Associate
Been practicing and practicing probably shouldnt drink every coffee I make
Getting better but still not as good as I'd like to be. HIard to get the mlk right. Can anyone recommend beans for flat whites. Looking at 'fudge' from rave are they a good place to get from?

Caporegime
Been practicing and practicing probably shouldnt drink every coffee I make
Getting better but still not as good as I'd like to be. HIard to get the mlk right. Can anyone recommend beans for flat whites. Looking at 'fudge' from rave are they a good place to get from?

Reminds me going to Rave once and saw 2 guys in the warehouse (the front of the shop has a glass wall looking into the warehouse at the back) practicing latte art, with a bucket in the floor. They threw away at least 3 cups the time I was there.

I thought they could have at least gave them for free as the shop is also a cafe.

Caporegime
It's better looking imo :p

Has got poncy diamond burrs, too. Not that I'd notice any difference in the coffee that comes out of either tbh.

It’s probably a worthwhile buy, less waiting than the Niche for a start. Although the Niche has a burr from a £1200 Mazzer grinder in it. Wonder how they compare.

side note, I’ve keep wanting to get a Fellows flat burr grinder for pour overs just for curiosity sake.

Soldato
the diamonds are just diamond cut ... but I now watched a review of df64 , which original Oro review I saw, said would be a competitor ...
I think I'd go for that £100 less than oro, cosmetically not as nice - but it has a pump already -
doesn't look like it has any static issues either - what's the espresso machine he's using , portafilter mount/support for pouring in grind is interesting too. ???
Turin DF64 vs. Niche Zero | The Battle of Single Dose Coffee Grinders

edit: never realised kitchenaid had a grinder - can't see burr size - but they probably have economy of scale, so might be good value
https://www.kitchenaid.co.uk/coffee.../coffee-grinder-artisan-5kcg8433-almond-cream

Last edited:
Soldato
guy in video before last is using one (white art deco looks the part) not sure if he has a review, the latest thermojet sysystem it uses has has some criticism about temperature stability though, there are some earlier posts in here;
it's more like £600 versus the breville max at £300, whose internals&functionality are very similar, without the lcd display - tough to justify.

Caporegime
very nice! wheres the are they from? is the magnet on the wdt for mounting to the coffee machine?

I got it on Etsy, Both are Walnut (you can choose other wood). The magnet on the WDT is to attach to the coffee machine which is neat. It doesn’t stick sideways on the Gaggia Classic though being stainless. Actually the only thing that I could stick it to is the drip tray and shower screen lol not even the Niche.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/111361...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

https://www.etsy.com/listing/784403131/58mm-espresso-dosing-ring-portafilter?click_key=9c8dd2cd92f7ffdbd1d1c41e7d41751587dc71b4:784403131&click_sum=09ac6229&ref=shop_home_active_2&crt=1&sts=1

Last edited:
Caporegime
i'd be tempted to glue a magnet to the side of the group head so it can be hung there - there are some pretty cool wdt tools floating around, kind of want one with retractable prongs :D

I almost bought one that’s sits in top and you spin it around. Then I thought that just means the needles are going round on the same place round and round and not really moving grounds evenly.

Caporegime
Update, the WDT is so worth it. I can’t believe I didn’t get one or made one until now. Before I could never really knock the ground into the porterfilter evenly, a lot of the times I notice channeling. Often from the edges. Now I just move it around and don’t need to knock it at all. Not change to any settings. Using it gets me an ideal 25s shot. Without it, it can shoot out in like 10s.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this might have just taken my "Grinder I'd by if/when my current grinder gives up the ghost" spot:

https://www.eureka.co.it/en/eureka_oro.aspx#71

The Eureka Oro Mignon Single Dose. Just like the original Mignon but angled for zero retention, and it is currently available for £500 :)

Nice, but that price tag is a bit of a joke for some nicer finishing. My two mignons (Silenzio and Filtro) were cheaper!

Always tempted to buy some top end burrs and make a grinder. Maybe a project for next year....

Back
Top Bottom