• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone just given up on looking for a new GPU?

Associate
I went through that rigmarole for a few months and had a 3080 in my cart a couple of times but never managed it, bearing in mind I work from home and can typically click through within <10 seconds of a notification. Never managed it...then decided I had better things to do with my life, gave up and got a PS5 and Series X, which were trivially easy to acquire in comparison.

I wavered over a 3090 a few times when they were available....easily affordable for me personally, but just horrible value.
The trouble with gamers is that it's a luxury purchase. If you're mining, there is no point in waiving because a GPU in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Soldato
No its not a new thing, which why there was an arms race for asics in the first place

If it was *just as profitable* back then as it is now this is the first I have heard of it. I didn't hear of graphics cards being able to print enough money to pay for themselves in under a year until last year.

I imagine a great number of other people only got into this recently as well.

GPU's are money printers. The prices on money printers have to get very high before demand starts to drop. (Or the ability to print money has to be reduced...as in LHR and the lower street price than non-LHR cards)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
If it was *just as profitable* back then as it is now this is the first I have heard of it. I didn't hear of graphics cards being able to print enough money to pay for themselves in under a year until last year.

I imagine a great number of other people only got into this recently as well.

GPU's are money printers. The prices on money printers have to get very high before demand starts to drop. (Or the ability to print money has to be reduced...as in LHR and the lower street price than non-LHR cards)

People were buying up Pascal cards in 2017 and paying them off in three months.

Subsequently there was a crash in early 2018 which meant Turing was not only a rip off anyway but regular miners didn't see much gain over the pascal/polaris cards. Some were still bought but nobody was itching to buy a Turing card only the ray tracing hype adopters.

Just because you didnt hear about it means nothing. Like mentioned in all these threads, CPU's and GPU's have been used for mining since they were able to which has been over a decade.

Soldato
Just because you didnt hear about it means nothing. Like mentioned in all these threads, CPU's and GPU's have been used for mining since they were able to which has been over a decade.

I'm not saying that I am of particular importance, but I have maintained more interest in PC components than random consumers and something changed between pascal mining and the current mining situation in order to grab my attention. (Maybe the info is better spread to the masses this time vs back then)

Had I been able to pay off an over-priced 2080Ti , in a short period of time, by mining, I would have found that information very interesting...yet I never stumbled accross such news.

Pascal cards were more reasonably priced then Turing so ROI didn't require profitability to be as high as today. Todays cards cost a *lot* more....but the profits are high enough to cover the inflated prices. (Unlike during Turing apparently)

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm not saying that I am of particular importance, but I have maintained more interest in PC components than random consumers and something changed between pascal mining and the current mining situation in order to grab my attention. (Maybe the info is better spread to the masses this time vs back then)

I understand that, the general bandwagon seems to lazily knee-jerk the headline parrot fashion when in fact its sloppy at best. The wider population has more adoption/awareness is one thing but its also because an unprecedented volume of people seem to have bought/upgraded PC's since the pandemic that they also want to cash in on the latest way to earn more or less free money. Couple this with social media and apps like whatsapp/telegram/discord etc then its no wonder the information is blasting it this time round!

If you think about it from this perspective and consider how long crypto mining has been around you would know that there has been years and years of this going on over multiple GPU generations. Each time the cycle happens it gets worse, its inevitable as its also so easy. Many years ago it was a little harder messing about with command line wallets, no how to guides, exchanges were rough and ready etc.

Mining that's *this profitable* is new.

I disagree.

Associate
A few cards trickling in to stock at ocuk that I can see, and oddly there is a 3060 well cheaper than a 2060s? Granted it's a small single fan card but still.....

Associate
A few cards trickling in to stock at ocuk that I can see, and oddly there is a 3060 well cheaper than a 2060s? Granted it's a small single fan card but still.....
New cards are 12GB not 8GB...and they'll have to be a lot cheaper than that if they're expecting them to sell at all.

Soldato
New cards are 12GB not 8GB...and they'll have to be a lot cheaper than that if they're expecting them to sell at all.

Sadly... whatever price they pitch them at.... they will sell :(

Just look at the sorts of prices that folks are prepared to shell out for the current crop of cards. Basically people moan about the prices, but still go out in their droves to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom