Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I think there would have been a review anyway. I don't see what Merc gain by backing down, apart from saving money on resource thrown into it. I don't think their reputation would have been damaged by having a proper court hearing on it at all, since most of the world agree it was robbery of the highest order.
I'm disappointed they backed down. The FIA have won. They will now over promise and under deliver on changes "for the better" for next season. Michael Massi needs to step down. I expect the FIA will "restructure" and claim that MM has not been demoted but "moved into a different role" or some such BS where he is still involved. It's all completely corrupt. The statement from the FIA is so out of touch it's like it has been written by an angry shareholder.

Caporegime
Heck of a change from October in the Turkey GP thread when you were still declaring this to be one of the best seasons in recent history:

;)

Well considering the championship was handed to Max due to an imaginary rule that the Race Director pulled out of his bottom on the last lap of the race, it makes the rest of the season seem rather pointless.

If i knew from the start that it was going to be decided by 'Masi's Mad Minute' at the final curtain, i wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited:
Associate
No it wont. Max won, everyone has accepted it apart from you it seems.

Accepting and agreeing with somehting are two different things. I accept Max is Champ but do not agree with the events on Sunday.

Why only let the five cars between Lewis and Max unlap themselves? If we go by Horner's interpretation of 'any' not meaning 'all' then I wonder what Horner's reaction would have been had Masi said the only cars that can unlap themsleves are the ones between Max and Sainz. Afterall any does not equal all.

Soldato
It's a shame that season ended like this. Either driver deserved to win it this year and it's unfortunate that it ended following a questionable decision by the race director. Now that Merc and presumably also Lewis decided to move on, hopefully people can stop moaning and get on with their lives too. As other's already said there was no way to overturn the result, that ship sailed when their protest against Max overtaking under SC was dismissed, at best they'd get the race voided and overall standing wouldn't have changed.

I'm hoping they will review the Race Director role, and either give it more support or split it into several roles. I want to see Masi go, but getting rid of him won't solve the structural problems with the setup. Appeals should also no longer be looked at by the same stewards who are active during the race.

Not sure which interview it was but some said that the race director is pretty much a one man band with no support and ideally needs couple of people to support him. Apparently Charlie had an assistant but Masi is on his own.

Caporegime
Isn't it the rule that all lapped cars are supposed to be allowed to overtake the SC?

I thought restarting the race while not allowing lapped cars to overtake the SC was the made up rule?

No, he had the option of starting the race with no cars unlapped. Instead he started the race with only the lapped cars between Max and Lewis unlapped.

This obviously is an absurd thing to do.

A. It meant Max got a free run at Lewis, with no Sainz behind him to worry about/defend from (sainz had actually been catching them time wise)
B. It means the 5 cars that got to unlap themselves are then miles up the road, from those they were racing with still stuck behind Max

That obviously is not an option in the regulations as it totally penalises some competitors and not others.

Associate
Well considering the championship was handed to Max due to an imaginary rule that the Race Director pulled out of his bottom on the last lap of the race, it makes the rest of the season seem rather pointless.

If i knew from the start that it was going to be decided by 'Masi's Mad Minute' at the final curtain, i wouldn't have bothered.

Masi could have ordered the lapped cars through on the previous lap and the result would have been the same. Hamilton got shafted by the safety car more than Masi... Welcome to Formula 1.

Caporegime
Masi could have ordered the lapped cars through on the previous lap and the result would have been the same. Hamilton got shafted by the safety car more than Masi... Welcome to Formula 1.

Nope, there were still marshalls on track (there are pictures that show this).

Also, the result would not necessarily have been the same throughout the field, as highlighted in my post above.

Soldato
No, he had the option of starting the race with no cars unlapped. Instead he started the race with only the lapped cars between Max and Lewis unlapped.

This obviously is an absurd thing to do.

A. It meant Max got a free run at Lewis, with no Sainz behind him to worry about/defend from (sainz had actually been catching them time wise)
B. It means the 5 cars that got to unlap themselves are then miles up the road, from those they were racing with still stuck behind Max

That obviously is not an option in the regulations as it totally penalises some competitors and not others.

Ah, i thought the rule was they "had" to be allowed to pass.

Lewis Vs Max doesn't really matter if it was just the 5 cars. If all had gone through the result would have been the same. But yes, I had thought it was a bad call for those cars stuck behind Max.

Caporegime
Ah, i thought the rule was they "had" to be allowed to pass.

Lewis Vs Max doesn't really matter if it was just the 5 cars. If all had gone through the result would have been the same. But yes, I had thought it was a bad call for those cars stuck behind Max.

Yes, but for all cars to go through - A. that takes longer B. they safety car has to do an additional lap after that before coming in.

Mercedes made their call on the assumed length of the safety car if all cars get to unlap based on the rules.

Soldato
I think their wasnt enough laps, if he let them all through, then usually you let them allow to catch up to the back etc. The race would have, or really should have, ended under safety car.

Caporegime
I think their wasnt enough laps, if he let them all through, then usually you let them allow to catch up to the back etc. The race would have, or really should have, ended under safety car.

indeed. Which is what Merc based their entire strategy on. You can't operate in this sport if the RD can maniuplate/make up the rules as he sees fit.

Soldato

Yeah I think Masi panicked after realising he made the mistake of not letting them through a lap earlier, crash was pretty much cleared at that point, and came up with this crazy decision to only let some of them through.

Nope, there were still marshalls on track (there are pictures that show this).

I think as long as the crane/ front loader is already of the track then that's fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom