• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** The Official Alder Lake owners thread ***

Sgarrista
Commissario
Current build status:

Lost 2 compression orings for the last tube. :mad:

IMG-20211221-211403.jpg

Soldato
I haven't described DDR5 as a game changer, it's not. It's the fastest RAM available though. Just as the 12900k is the fastest gaming CPU. Does it make financial sense to the majority? Nope, the flagship CPU/GPU/RAM never have, they've always been atrocious from performance per £. It's just silly when you see people claim DDR4 is just as fast - it's clearly not, the fast 6000Mhz DDR5 kits superior, even if it's only a few % difference.

In a land of shortages, there is no problem selecting a 12900K with DDR4. Especially when you can sometimes only see single percent, or even negative performance difference in some areas.

Soldato
@Kelt That looks to be a very nice setup in the making. I used the same board and CPU when I first bought my AL system. Sadly I needed to return the board and bought a gigabyte one. A decent board and exceptional value. I did like the access to the M2 slots.

Good luck with your build.

Soldato
No just, lost lost... put them down somewhere and cant find them :D

Welcome to my world. Could I find my MX5 paste - nope. Had to use some crappy stuff and then reorder some more decent paste. When it arrived and was used, made a big difference, I then put it into a box of gubbins right next to............................

well I have two now :D

Soldato
Sgarrista
Commissario
Welcome to my world. Could I find my MX5 paste - nope. Had to use some crappy stuff and then reorder some more decent paste. When it arrived and was used, made a big difference, I then put it into a box of gubbins right next to............................

well I have two now :D

Found em haha your post made me realize where I put them!

IMG-20211222-124853.jpg

All glassed up, pressure testing now.

Soldato
MSI 690 Pro and P-Core issue from Sleep | MSI Global English Forum - Index

They have acknowledged the problem and perhaps it can be resolved with a BIOS update. I just had to make a choice on keeping it and hope they resolved it, or exchanged within the window the retailer would allow. You have to make your mind up as best you can within a returns window, as such.

I wish I hadn't asked! :p

So basically after waking up from sleep, the board will downclock the CPU.

Not what I want to hear when building a new system!

Soldato
I wish I hadn't asked! :p

So basically after waking up from sleep, the board will downclock the CPU.

Not what I want to hear when building a new system!

Understand, sorry for letting you know that. But felt obliged to at least inform you. They are trying to fix it with a BIOS update and it could work. For some reason each and every time the P cores will not go back to what they should do, they are erratic at their maximum core speeds. They are not at defaults, nor are they at their maximum set. The E cores will just keep at 3.8Ghz. IIRC when I set the E Cores to 4Ghz they would still only return to 3.8Ghz after sleep.

If they resolve that issue, for me anyway, it would have been a keeper. For those not using the sleep function they would never notice. But I use that, a lot. I got an email from MSI this very morning that they have a beta (I assume) BIOS for me to test on that board, but I can't as I no longer have it.

I assume that it is on every board as they can replicate it.

I could tell you of another smaller issue I noted with the board, but I can already feel a pointy thing between my shoulders :D

Soldato
Understand, sorry for letting you know that. But felt obliged to at least inform you. They are trying to fix it with a BIOS update and it could work. For some reason each and every time the P cores will not go back to what they should do, they are erratic at their maximum core speeds. They are not at defaults, nor are they at their maximum set. The E cores will just keep at 3.8Ghz. IIRC when I set the E Cores to 4Ghz they would still only return to 3.8Ghz after sleep.

If they resolve that issue, for me anyway, it would have been a keeper. For those not using the sleep function they would never notice. But I use that, a lot. I got an email from MSI this very morning that they have a beta (I assume) BIOS for me to test on that board, but I can't as I no longer have it.

I assume that it is on every board as they can replicate it.

I could tell you of another smaller issue I noted with the board, but I can already feel a pointy thing between my shoulders :D

Nah, I'm a big boy, you can tell me! :D

I'll probably just not use sleep, hopefully I'll have a faster boot time with these new parts!

Soldato
Nah, I'm a big boy, you can tell me! :D

I'll probably just not use sleep, hopefully I'll have a faster boot time with these new parts!

If you wanted I could send you an email with their "fix" they wanted me to try and that will give you the contact details for the person at MSI who is trying to resolve this...? I'm not going to be able to see this through.

Ok the other, kinda OCD, thing..................

Take a look at that link for the fault I noted and note the Mhz clock speeds when at full. The bus clock on the MSI board runs at 99.951Mhz and not 100Mhz. This is what I get on the Gigabyte board when OC to 5.1Ghz and 4Ghz.....

clocks.png

that is due to it using a true 100Mhz bus clock speed.

told you it was a smaller / non issue.

The MSI..........

No-Sleep-2.png

at 5.1Ghz P and 3.8Ghz E core.

Soldato
If you wanted I could send you an email with their "fix" they wanted me to try and that will give you the contact details for the person at MSI who is trying to resolve this...? I'm not going to be able to see this through.

Ok the other, kinda OCD, thing..................

Take a look at that link for the fault I noted and note the Mhz clock speeds when at full. The bus clock on the MSI board runs at 99.951Mhz and not 100Mhz. This is what I get on the Gigabyte board when OC to 5.1Ghz and 4Ghz.....

clocks.png

that is due to it using a true 100Mhz bus clock speed.

told you it was a smaller / non issue.

The MSI..........

No-Sleep-2.png

at 5.1Ghz P and 3.8Ghz E core.

Yeh, that'd be great.

I've seen that rounding up issue on a few boards, wouldn't bother me TBH.

Soldato
Yeh, that'd be great.

I've seen that rounding up issue on a few boards, wouldn't bother me TBH.

If you Trust me an email address I'll forward you their email, and I would download their BIOS, whether you use it or not is up to you. But at least it is there for now. I'll then send them another email with your email address inserted and maybe they'll write to you for updates.
I had emailed them this morning to tell them I have no longer got the board. But if I do the above before they close the case, that might be good for you.

Soldato
Will finally be building my system at the weekend but curious how did folk apply thermal paste, did you just do the standard dot in middle?

Small pea size in the middle is what I did. When I needed to remove my AIO from the 12700k that small pea sized paste had filled the whole area evenly. So it seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom