• Series S

Votes: 104 11.8%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Had every playstation apart from 5 but i think Microsoft deserve this, my brother has one and its a fantastic console and i think sony need to pull off something special in 2022.

Sony won’t be getting my money while I still have to pay big one-off fees to play their flagship games.

Soldato
Yep. Sony need a game pass for me to switch. Everyonr should buy an xbox to support game pass, just to force Sony to do the same.
Sony have said that day-one release of there $100 million dollar games is never going to happen as they wouldn't recoup the cost let alone a profit. I have no issues buying a first party physical game for £50-60 on release complete it within a fortnight and then sell for most of my money back. If i'm forced to go digital only next gen i will have to re-think though.

Soldato
I've had the series X now for nearly a week. It's fantastic. I've not turned on my PS5 since it arrived.

One thing that I can already see being an issue is the storage situation. I'm not one to want to install a crap ton of games but I've got 8 games installed and I'm already maxed out on storage. Looks like Xbox is tied to Seagate for exclusivity of the expansion SSD for the foreseeable. Definitely not something I'd expect from Microsoft and more like a Sony move of old.

Charging £200 for the 1TB is criminal, even the times when it comes down to £150 in a sale is still too much. The 2TB Seagate expansion is now out in the US, looks like it should be here very shortly.. but at what cost? £350? Eyewatering stuff. May need to do what I have done with PS5 and go for an external drive and copy the games back and forth as I want to play.

Soldato
I've had the series X now for nearly a week. It's fantastic. I've not turned on my PS5 since it arrived.

One thing that I can already see being an issue is the storage situation. I'm not one to want to install a crap ton of games but I've got 8 games installed and I'm already maxed out on storage. Looks like Xbox is tied to Seagate for exclusivity of the expansion SSD for the foreseeable. Definitely not something I'd expect from Microsoft and more like a Sony move of old.

Charging £200 for the 1TB is criminal, even the times when it comes down to £150 in a sale is still too much. The 2TB Seagate expansion is now out in the US, looks like it should be here very shortly.. but at what cost? £350? Eyewatering stuff. May need to do what I have done with PS5 and go for an external drive and copy the games back and forth as I want to play.

Can I ask why you have so many games installed, not having ago just curious. I tend to have two games installed one would a big RPG game generally then the other would be a casual type game.

Soldato
Can I ask why you have so many games installed, not having ago just curious. I tend to have two games installed one would a big RPG game generally then the other would be a casual type game.

I like to jump in and out of games, spend half an hour here and there, especially multiplayer games. I just checked Cold War and it's consuming 167.8GB without the campaign, which I literally have no words for.

I have been a bit like a kid in a sweet shop with Game Pass.

I just got back from picking up my first physical Series X game, Tales of Arise. The reviews won me over and it appears to play beautifully on Series X. This will likely settle me down over the Christmas period.

Soldato
You'll love my situation with storage... XSX with an external 8TB Seagate (bought when I had my One X and slow broadband) and a 2TB SATA Crucial MX500 via USB adaptor cable.

I've got ~300+ games downloaded and installed across all three drives. I tend to stick with the rule that any OG Xbox, 360, free Gold games and very infrequently played games go on the 8TB in semi-cold storage, Xbox One and more frequently played games on the 2TB Crucial (got it cheap on offer), and then leaving the 1TB internal drive for required games. Being on 500Mb FTTP means that I probably don't need to keep so many titles downloaded but some titles were just carried over from my One X days on the existing external drive and SATA SSD (did swap from a Sandisk II to Crucial with the XSX).

Last edited:
Soldato

I do this i use a WD 4TB external and store games on there and just transfer. It does not take very long to move then to internal. The Seagate SSD is too expensive sadly

Soldato
I like to jump in and out of games, spend half an hour here and there, especially multiplayer games. I just checked Cold War and it's consuming 167.8GB without the campaign, which I literally have no words for.

I just got back from picking up my first physical Series X game, Tales of Arise. The reviews won me over and it appears to play beautifully on Series X. This will likely settle me down over the Christmas period.

My grandad is on the final part of tales of arise, he really liked it and thinks it's a breath of fresh air for the Tales Series.

Man of Honour

You'll love my situation with storage... XSX with an external 8TB Seagate (bought when I had my One X and slow broadband) and a 2TB SATA Crucial MX500 via USB adaptor cable.

I've got ~300+ games downloaded and installed across all three drives. I tend to stick with the rule that any OG Xbox, 360, free Gold games and very infrequently played games go on the 8TB in semi-cold storage, Xbox One and more frequently played games on the 2TB Crucial (got it cheap on offer), and then leaving the 1TB internal drive for required games. Being on 500MB FTTP means that I probably don't need to keep so many titles downloaded but some titles were just carried over from my One X days on the existing external drive and SATA SSD (did swap from a Sandisk II to Crucial with the XSX).

I do this i use a WD 4TB external and store games on there and just transfer. It does not take very long to move then to internal. The Seagate SSD is too expensive sadly

You guys must have very poor bandwidth. My 10Gb connection (of which the X only use 650-800Mb )is significantly faster than the transfer rate of external USB HDDs so I just re-download them if I want to play them.

For older generation games I use a 1TB USB SSD and for current generation games I use the X + 1TB expansion card storage.

Caporegime
You guys must have very poor bandwidth. My 10Gb connection (of which the X only use 650-800Mb )is significantly faster than the transfer rate of external USB HDDs so I just re-download them if I want to play them.

For older generation games I use a 1TB USB SSD and for current generation games I use the X + 1TB expansion card storage.
That's incorrect. Usb 3.0 HDDs will easily write at about 90-100 megabytes per second to the series consoles

As you mentioned your 10gb connection is totally irrelevant as the series X can only see 1gb of that and even if you are getting 800 megabits (ive never seen it go over 650 personally) that is still slower than via USB.

An external HDD is great alternative to redownloading content until the series consoles get a faster network interface, if you are talking about speed.

Edit: now I'm not so sure and maybe I'm having a maths fail :p will leave the post until I'm (inevitably) corrected!

rp2000

Soldato

No issues with my FTTP now, on FTTC yes. I agree that times are that I could download a title quicker onto the internal than transfer across from the 8TB but most of my transfering that I bother with is usually between the Internal and SATA SSD which is still quicker than re-downloading.

The other benefit to having most things downloaded is plug and playing my drives on other boxes (not happening as much in recent times) and not having to worry about intnernet connection speeds at other locations.

Caporegime
Sony won’t be getting my money while I still have to pay big one-off fees to play their flagship games.

How many games on gamepass are actually flagship games? I think it's poor value at the intended price. When my 3 years are up I can see me going back to gold. I look through the list of games and of the ones I hadn't already got or played on the 360/xbox one there's almost nothing I'd have played. I've downloaded a few like Gears Tactics, Back4Blood but got bored and deleted it. Same with most of the game pass games. I know it's not a rich period of time in the gaming industry but I wouldn't say there are that many flagship games on gamepass?

Halo, Forza. I can see the appeal if you like old games but I don't find the current content amazing. My son plays a few more but I doubt Minecraft and Rocket League at this point is saving us money. Some might argue Gears is flagship but it mostly definitely isn't and I say that as probably the person on this forum who has played it the most :D

If it carries on for £1 sure I'd get it. For anything more than £4.99 a month I will happily go back to buying and selling games.

You guys must have very poor bandwidth. My 10Gb connection

What a weird flex, come now you haven't been out of the UK for 20 years and have no idea what the current standard of home broadband is in the uk :p

Back
Top Bottom