Show us your kitty cats

Soldato
I know little about domestic cats, does anyone here have a cat that will reliably catch and kill fully grown, healthy rats? I know they are excellent small rodent killers, but a full size rat? Just curious as to what they'll tackle, thanks.
not known domestic cats to tackle rats but at least stable/farm/semi-feral cats probably would.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Oh its not hard to encourage him to come out, any toy or treat will get his attention. Its just any attempt to approach him when he's out, and he will head straight for the cover of the bed.

Then you're already halfway there. He will get used to you eventually. If I remember correctly ( it was 17 years ago! ) it took over a month for Meg to feel comfortable enough to come out around us without any encouragement.

If he comes out for treats from you, then try gentle petting while he's eating, it will get him used to your touch and show that food is associated with petting and that it isn't anything to be frightened of.

Soldato
My lola goea to hide/sleep under my brother's bed when she needs some peace and quiet at my parents. I don't think it's a bad thing to letbher sleep there.

Its more of a safe space than somewhere to sleep. I guess its not a bad thing while he's small, 6 months time he may be too big to get under there anyway. Thanks for your input.

Then you're already halfway there. He will get used to you eventually. If I remember correctly ( it was 17 years ago! ) it took over a month for Meg to feel comfortable enough to come out around us without any encouragement.

If he comes out for treats from you, then try gentle petting while he's eating, it will get him used to your touch and show that food is associated with petting and that it isn't anything to be frightened of.

He will approach me for treats or just to attack/smell my hands when I'm not looking. He will play a game on my iPhone, climb on me to reach for a treat, sneak under my pillow when I'm asleep. But any movement from me to him and he's off.

Thanks for your help, it's my first cat and I'm trying to make sure I don't make a mistake that causes behaviour issues further down the line.

Soldato
This is where he normally sleeps.

6tHT88B_d.webp

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Its more of a safe space than somewhere to sleep. I guess its not a bad thing while he's small, 6 months time he may be too big to get under there anyway. Thanks for your input.

He will approach me for treats or just to attack/smell my hands when I'm not looking. He will play a game on my iPhone, climb on me to reach for a treat, sneak under my pillow when I'm asleep. But any movement from me to him and he's off.

Thanks for your help, it's my first cat and I'm trying to make sure I don't make a mistake that causes behaviour issues further down the line.

You sound like you're doing well. If he's doing all that he sounds perfectly fine to me. He will come around eventually, there is no set time for them to adjust, they all have individual characters. My last 2 burmese, the male (Ozzie) was very curious and fussy from the beginning but his sister (Meg) was complete opposite, very wary, skittish at first.

At that sort of age they just love anything to play with, bits of string, boxes etc. The more you play with them, the easier they'll feel around you and treating for good behaviour will encourage it as well. Keep at it!

Soldato
You sound like you're doing well. If he's doing all that he sounds perfectly fine to me. He will come around eventually, there is no set time for them to adjust, they all have individual characters. My last 2 burmese, the male (Ozzie) was very curious and fussy from the beginning but his sister (Meg) was complete opposite, very wary, skittish at first.

At that sort of age they just love anything to play with, bits of string, boxes etc. The more you play with them, the easier they'll feel around you and treating for good behaviour will encourage it as well. Keep at it!

Ok great I'll carry on as I am then.

I have a ribbon on a stick that he goes crazy for, that's the only toy I have to hide.

Soldato
Frank had his bloods taken after the first 28 days of treatment and they have come back with flying colours - so he is well on the way to recovery, just another 50+ days to go. Should be cured by the end though at this rate :)

U1NT6r5.jpg

Caporegime
Frank had his bloods taken after the first 28 days of treatment and they have come back with flying colours - so he is well on the way to recovery, just another 50+ days to go. Should be cured by the end though at this rate :)

U1NT6r5.jpg

Frank is a very handsome boy.

My weird little girl is getting bigger and fluffier by the week.

3tnA4xnl.jpg

I often wonder if there's anything happening behind those eyes.

FAxw395l.jpg

Soldato
I managed to get a pic mid-yawn the other day. He looks pretty crazy:

IMG-2744.jpg

For some reason he absolutely loves this cardboard thing and sleeps on it despite having cat beds available. I can't see how it's comfortable but to him it somehow is:

IMG-2799.jpg

Back
Top Bottom