Adverts on Youtube videos

Soldato
As said before, UBlock origin on desktop, youtube vanced app for android. If want on your tv then just cast from vanced.
What if I just want to watch on my TV without casting? What if my daughter wants to watch youtube on the TV without having to borrow my phone to cast? What if I'm on iOS and not Android? What if I can afford £1.32 a month to cover it all with zero hassle?

Soldato
So what would your alternative be? They're going to harvest my data anyway, regardless of if I pay or not, so it's a moot point.
This is about watching adverts or paying £1.32 to not watch adverts.

Soldato
I'm shocked that people are unaware of ad blockers in this day and age.

Yeah. I literally don't know how people with iphones deal with youtube on a mobile as I didn't think you could properly block it without buying premium?

I use ublock for chrome and vanced for android. I built a PC the other day and the first thing I did once in windows was download chrome and ublock.

Soldato
Convenience. It's less than the price of flat white from McDonalds. If it means I can download videos, have no adverts and have access to YouTube music, it's well worth the price.

I watch tonnes of YouTube daily so in terms of value, it's one of the best value subscriptions I have.

I understand the sentiment of looking after the pennies so the pounds look after themselves but I can't help think it's a bit tight-fisted worrying about £1.30 a month. Assuming you watch a lot of YouTube content.

Where does it stop? Why buy games/music/movie/streaming services like a chump when you can just torrent them:rolleyes:

Soldato
What if I just want to watch on my TV without casting? What if my daughter wants to watch youtube on the TV without having to borrow my phone to cast? What if I'm on iOS and not Android? What if I can afford £1.32 a month to cover it all with zero hassle?
Then pay the man.

Soldato
I use Revolut to pay and sign up with a VPN via India. You can't pay yearly, it's just a rolling monthly subscription but once it's set up it just keeps ticking over at £1.3x a month.

Permabanned
uBlock Origin is great for PC, already 4.2 mill adds blocked but can't find anything decent for the app on android. Anyone can recommend something that will limit or block the adds on the app, or is getting premium, the way to go for this?
YouTube without ads on Android = Firefox + uBlock Origin

Soldato
Adblockers get rid of all the ads for free. You can also right click on the sign-in and terms popups and block those using ublock.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I suspect that the increased number of ads is in response to the increased use of adblockers.

As for Youtube farming me for data they can sell or use to manipulate me, well, yes, they will do so as much as they can because that's the whole point of Google. That's what Google is for. However, I prefer not to make it easy for them. So I don't log into Google, which means I don't and won't have a Youtube Premium account. I don't have cookies that persist over sessions - all cookies are deleted when I close a browser or tab and all cookies are deleted during a session if they haven't been used for 30 seconds. I don't have DOM storage enabled, so they can't use that to track me. I use a VPN, so my easily viewable details vary from session to session and are fake anyway.

Judging by the videos Youtube recommends to me, it works. They're always related only to the videos I have watched that session, which implies that Youtube doesn't know who I am.

I also don't use an adblocker, as a deliberate choice. I do use security software that blocks almost all ads because they're served in an insecure way, but Youtube ads aren't. I could block them, but I choose not to as I consider it a fair price to pay for the content. I even let some of the ads play in full, if they're shorter than a minute.

Caporegime
I'm watching a YT game OST video right now, and there are adverts every 5 mins. Almost every track is being interrupted.

This is getting beyond a joke.

Not long now, and you simply won't be able to view lots of videos without a subscription. There will be no free service at all.

Associate
Let's be fair, full time creators don't get enough from YT this is why they have their own sponsors. Personally i'm happy to watch the adverts from sponsors who directly support the creator, the random YT ones can do one.

Strangely enough, my Chromecast only pops 3 second adverts at most, and those are usually just once before a video. I don't use it much so i'm not sure if that's the reason.

Soldato
Any advice or tips for ublock origin on chrome?

I made a htpc out of old parts, so new install of Windows, put ublock on worked perfectly the first time, I didn't change anything and now it's a bit intermittent, sometimes will work but other times not.

Am I doing something wrong?

Back
Top Bottom