Adverts on Youtube videos

Soldato
It's just more reasons to use UBlock Origin and/or Ghostery on your browsers (TV's obviously an issue).

I'm upto 2.2M blocked adverts so far on UBlock but, should I actually want to support a YT'er or website I can unblock a video or website individually whilst still keeping the anti-Advert protection on everything else.

On some SM heavy sites (icanhazcheezburger etc) it takes the page loading time down from an average of 12-15 seconds to an average of 5-6 seconds, plus a lots of bandwidth saved!

Without Blocking -

mBr6rkY.png

With Blocking-

ojaQ0VK.jpg

or convert an unsightly advert filled page into a simple design - Pics inside spoiler due to 1080p size.

ZKiXJVh.png

sRSvEKE.png

Associate
uBlock Origin is excellent on the PC ;) Can't recommend it enough.

YouTube Premium (Family) is well worth it in our household. We have a few people using it on multiple devices, Also devices that we can't block adds on, Not to mention we use YouTube quite a lot these days, Far more than any other service we have access to.

Come to think of it we've cancelled other services like Netflix and Sky TV over the last few years because it's simply not worth paying for a service that barely get's used due to work and other commitments.

Soldato
Is it only me or have these seemed to increase rapidly over the past year? A lot of videos now have a least two adverts before you even watch it, each being 3+ seconds, some with ~10 seconds ads.

A few years ago there were no adverts apart from on things like film trailers

Does everyone who uploads of video include adverts or something? I've got to the point now where if I see an advert I close the video and search for another or on another website to find what i'm looking for

I'd started noticing a good few months ago that several ads were playing on every video. When i used to use YT for listening to music, it would only play adverts after X number of songs/videos, which you didn't mind so much. Having 2 ads stuck in front of every video you watch is just taking the ****.

I used to use the actual youtube app, and after researching it seems like it's impossible to block ads from within the app, so i've now swapped to an adblock browser just for youtube which blocks them all.

Try installing uBlock on a TV?

I've got Adguard Home setup on my network which stops ads from the likes of My5, 4oD and ITV player from loading, i haven't yet checked if it blocks YT - will try and confirm if it does.

Associate
I have also done the youtube premium via india. Easy to do and still uses my present username, etc. I was beginning to hate the adverts as well!

Soldato
And for those using uBlock Origin, add this to the 'Your Filters' section of the Dashboard too. It removes that irritating overlay with four squares at the end of the videos.

Code:
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-overlay
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element-shadow
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-covering-image
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-expanding-image
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element.ytp-ce-video.ytp-ce-element-show
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element.ytp-ce-channel.ytp-ce-channel-this
youtube.com##.ytp-cards-teaser
youtube.com##.ytp-ce-element

Associate
uBlock Origin is great for PC, already 4.2 mill adds blocked but can't find anything decent for the app on android. Anyone can recommend something that will limit or block the adds on the app, or is getting premium, the way to go for this?

On some SM heavy sites (icanhazcheezburger etc) it takes the page loading time down from an average of 12-15 seconds to an average of 5-6 seconds, plus a lots of bandwidth saved!

Off-topic from the main thread: is icanhascheezburger classed as SM? It's similar to Something Awful, Rathergood and B3ta. They all have funny videos and image contests and while they're usually user-created, I didn't think it was classed as SM? I checked out icanhascheezburger just now and it's pretty much the same as how I've always known it. B3ta is my favourite out of that bunch.

On-topic: I use uBlock as well although I'm interested to see how Ghostery compares as I didn't realise it was a blocking tool.

Another one to consider is NoScript which turns JavaScript off by default and then you can start whitelisting primary domains while blocking off-site domains. You can also hide elements of a web site which is remembered for later visits.

Also to consider is Greasemonkey, or anything that ends with -monkey e.g. Violentmonkey or Tampermonkey. Once installed, you can search for scripts (Greasyfork is a good site) that can block stuff such as Facebook's "sponsored" and "suggested" posts. These scripts can also augment a site (so the opposite of blocking). An example of this is adding CamelCamelCamel pricing history on Amazon product pages, as a chart that appears next to the product image.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Weren't Ghostery scraping user data at one point?

I switched to Privacy Badger instead along with uBlock and it works very well.

Doesn't always feel ethical but the way ads are done now isn't going to influence me in the slightest.

Soldato
Off-topic from the main thread: is icanhascheezburger classed as SM? It's similar to Something Awful, Rathergood and B3ta. They all have funny videos and image contests and while they're usually user-created, I didn't think it was classed as SM?

I meant that cheezburger had lots of SM plug-ins from Facebook, Twitter, instragram etc rather than meaning it was an SM site itself.

Soldato
WOW the Ads are getting worse! Last night i watched 3-4 10-15 minute videos and every one of them had 3 unskippable adverts and 1 that i could graciously skip!

Man of Honour
Some content creators upload their videos to other platforms as well as youtube. e.g. LBRY/Odysee which don't have adverts. It's always worth checking those and avoiding adverts altogether. The LBRY app also has the advantage of being able to turn your screen off while listening to a video. This is really useful to save battery if I'm out walking and listening to something. The unpaid version of youtube turns off completely when you turn the screen off.

Back
Top Bottom