• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 6900/6950 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
I would think he would have used all these Features the guy is pretty switched on regarding to getting the best and most outa his hardware.

I’ve seen his intel and amd overclocks

Caporegime
I would think he would have used all these Features the guy is pretty switched on regarding to getting the best and most outa his hardware.

I’ve seen his intel and amd overclocks
He might know how to tune a Intel system, but he has some serious issues with his AMD system if I’m getting 90% higher performance in the same spot.

The screenshot I posted was during a video recording I took with SAM off, so even with the 5FPS recording cost I am still getting 90% higher FPS at that same spot with the same GPU.

I’ll upload the video to YouTube, but if I post it as a reply to him he’ll ban me from his channel. Some people can’t be helped once they’ve made their mind up unfortunately.

Caporegime
So you can’t even get as low as he does with say a stock cpu and gpu without Sam enabled?
No. Didn't see it drop below 175ish, and averages were very similar to my previous video.

GPU overclock doesn't make any difference as it is CPU limited. GPU usage 50-70% only.

He was running his GPU at 2800Mhz according to his video where he showed Radeon Software.
8U6ov40.png

I could re-run it stock if you want, but it won't make much difference due to the GPU not being fully utilised. My FPS may even improve as I'll be less CPU limited with lower clocks.

SAM was already off in my 2nd screenshot and video which is uploading to YouTube.

Last edited:
Caporegime
So you can’t even get as low as he does with say a stock cpu and gpu without Sam enabled?
No. Didn't see it drop below 175ish, and averages were very similar to my previous video.

GPU overclock doesn't make any difference as it is CPU limited. GPU usage 50-70% only.

He was running his GPU at 2800Mhz according to his video where he showed Radeon Software.
8U6ov40.png

I could re-run it stock if you want, but it won't make much difference due to the GPU not being fully utilised. My FPS may even improve as I'll be less CPU limited with lower clocks.

SAM was already off in my 2nd screenshot and video which is uploading to YouTube.
And here's the video.

I am also happy to do one long video, where I show SAM being toggled on and off and restarting Warzone to show the 10-20% performance difference/settings used in Warzone.

Caporegime
I took home a 6900XT Red devil ultimate last night. The sag is unreal.

Moving on from a Vega 56 that I modded with an AIO.

Wanted a sapphire toxic extreme but couldn't find any so I went with the red devil ultimate.

XIgLhcm.jpg
Setup your trust so I can send you an email. I can help you find what you are looking for in terms of GPU & sag bracket.

Speaking of sag, I thought the Red Devil came with a sag bracket?

Associate
Setup your trust so I can send you an email. I can help you find what you are looking for in terms of GPU & sag bracket.

Speaking of sag, I thought the Red Devil came with a sag bracket?

Thanks mate. I've actually installed the sag bracket/stand they included (it's hidden behind my notepad lol).

I had to put it up on top of a fan due to the case I have being very deep (phanteks 719) so it's alleviated the sag.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Rebar is not the same as Sam

It is though, Resizable Base Address Register is the technical same, SAM is more of a marketing term there "maybe" some extra stuff in the drivers but the fundamentals are the same as I understand it. As it allows full access to memory buffer of the GPU rather than limiting it to 256MB, this is where the gains come from.

Associate
"Is Smart Access Memory only a fancier term for Resizable BAR? Are they the same thing?"

Well, they are similar but there are also differences. AMD’s SAM feature is originally based on Resizable BAR, but it has been developed further to bring extra performance improvements to the table.

Caporegime
"Is Smart Access Memory only a fancier term for Resizable BAR? Are they the same thing?"

Well, they are similar but there are also differences. AMD’s SAM feature is originally based on Resizable BAR, but it has been developed further to bring extra performance improvements to the table.
Exactly.

Soldato
They're the same thing. You even enable them in the same way.

It gives the CPU direct access to the full-frame buffer instead of 256MB blocks. What the GPU vendors are doing beyond that won't be that dissimilar, either

Caporegime
Not seen the video but I would imagine there is maybe some extra "optimisation" amd can do with their drivers when using an amd chipset/cpu and amd gpu.... which is "generally" why a full amd system sees more of a benefit over a mixed system.

RSR is 100% correct in that they both do the exact same technical thing i.e. remove the 256MB temporary swap/buffer bottleneck

Caporegime
What are the technical differences then?
That information is not publicly available, but there’s a reason why ReBar is hit and miss with some vendors. But at the core they are the same technology, don't believe I've ever said any different.

Didnt you watch Lisa's video ??? :cry:
I think you meant Linus video right? :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
That information is not publicly available, but there’s a reason why ReBar is hit and miss with Nvidia and SAM isn’t.
Happy New Year Matt. It is 1st January not 1st April mate. Nvidia and AMD have the same feature. It is basically this a pci specification and is nothing new and has been used for years on workstations and servers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

https://pcisig.com/specifications

https://pcisig.com/specifications?speclib=resizable bar&&&&order=title&sort=asc

AMD just renamed an industry specification as they always do to market it as their's..the only thing they are doing is adding support for it in games they sponsor and some driver tweeks.

Please stop with the made up facts. I have been using rebar for almost a decade and a half in the server and workstation environment. Amd and nvidia have finally opened it up to the general consumer on consumer grade computers and even HEDT motherboards have had it for over a decade. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Happy New Year Matt. It is 1st January not 1st April mate. Nvidia and AMD have the same feature. It is basically this a pci specification and is nothing new and has been used for years on workstations and servers.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/resizable-bar-support

https://pcisig.com/specifications

https://pcisig.com/specifications?speclib=resizable bar&&&&order=title&sort=asc

AMD just renamed an industry specification as they always do to market it as their's..the only thing they are doing is adding support for it in games they sponsor and some driver tweeks.

Please stop with the made up facts. I have been using rebar for almost a decade and a half in the server and workstation environment. Amd and nvidia have finally opened it up to the general consumer on consumer grade computers and even HEDT motherboards have had it for over a decade. :rolleyes:
With all due respect, you have no idea what you are talking about mate. :cry:

You are welcome to think what you like however, so go right ahead.

Take it elsewhere, but please don't come in here with your usual bait and troll posts in the 6900 XT owners thread.

Back
Top Bottom