Well I fell down the custom keyboard world.

Soldato
So 2021 was an exciting year for me in tech I pretty much upgraded the entire home setup. Including PC, home network and home office equipment.

The last thing on the list was the keyboard, for the past 14+ years I have always stuck with what I knew Razer products but after some poor recent experiences with them from after sales support and quality of their products seemingly failing at a faster than expected rate I decided to branch out and started to look at a new keyboard.

Like many who ask "what keyboard should I get?" I wasn't sure if I wanted to get another "gamer" keyboard or actually build my own this time.

After watching what feels like hundreds of YouTube videos and keyboard streamers I took the plunge and I present the following as my first effort:

QxSrfzf.jpg

oXJ7c2I.jpg

4Hr8SQ5.jpg

So the details of the board:

Cypher 1800 F-Rowless keyboard body with Carbon Fiber Plate
EV-01 Linear switches (lubed and filmed)
Tecsee screw in Stabs (purple housing)
GMK Mecha 01 Key caps
Custom coiled USB cable

Now having never really used anything other than a "standard" keyboard layout this took a bit of getting used too but I seem to have adapted already. The process of building this although long (due to it being my first board and having to learn how to solder as well) was totally worth the time, effort and money.

Soldato
Just done the same, got parts on order! £184 later and i'm hoping what im getting is worth it over my Logitech. I've watched countless videos and hearing that same sound a well built and lubed keyboard sounds, i'm sold!

Went for Gateron ink blacks, durock stabilisers and a 60% setup.

Still undecided on keycaps but i want something that's really chill and a bit different to my usual norm. Have you joined any group buys?

Soldato
OP
Just done the same, got parts on order! £184 later and i'm hoping what im getting is worth it over my Logitech. I've watched countless videos and hearing that same sound a well built and lubed keyboard sounds, i'm sold!

Went for Gateron ink blacks, durock stabilisers and a 60% setup.

Still undecided on keycaps but i want something that's really chill and a bit different to my usual norm. Have you joined any group buys?

Yes I have joined a number of group buys.

This was actually the second custom keeb I ordered via raffle. But the first one I purchased and finally being delivered is the KBDFans Odin (arrives Wednesday) this was actually the first group buy I went in on.

I have one more keyboard group buy I am on the CruelWorld CW88 TKL and then I am on a number of key cap group buys (5 I think currently) as well. I am currently waiting for a TKL by the same designer who did the cypher to enter group buy and then I will hopefully be snapping that up as well.

I kind of just jumped in at the deep end with this and it has been an expensive but enjoyable hobby to say the least.

Associate
Custom keyboards is a seriously expensive and addictive hobby, Geekhack is dangerous.

I think I have 20 keycap sets with 3 or 4 more in GB, 6 different switches and a few keyboards (Ikki aurora devoted, GMMK Pro and NK87). I'm still trying to get a Frog TKL, but they sell out so quickly.
Tempted by a Mode80 or a space80 if I can find one for decent money in a colour i like.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sure thing...

And here's a couple of other builds for good measure...

Switch Couture Murder Alice, Cherry Vint Blacks again, with GMK SkiiData.

Handwired Void40 Ortho with Outemu Clears and some cheapo Amazon jobber caps. :)
Damn, those are very nice. Love the split one.

Associate
If anyone is reading to get into this hobby - don't. It's really addictive and expensive.

I have a heavily modded Akko Mod 003 (sanded down the tray mount posts, replaced with silicone, cut down the plate - its pretty scuffed tbh) with Gat Box inks. Just ordered a KBD67Lite and will order the Keychron Q5 when its out.

Soldato
OP
If anyone is reading to get into this hobby - don't. It's really addictive and expensive.

I have a heavily modded Akko Mod 003 (sanded down the tray mount posts, replaced with silicone, cut down the plate - its pretty scuffed tbh) with Gat Box inks. Just ordered a KBD67Lite and will order the Keychron Q5 when its out.

Oh I know of the expense and have skipped the initial entry level boards and kind of went in at the more premium end. Still waiting for my CruelWorld CW88 to arrive and then have my eye on a couple more boards. and on about 5 GB's for various keycap sets already.

I have now built my KBDFans Odin (just waiting for the colour matched USB cable to arrive :p )

With Brass weight & Brass logo with nicePBT Noel and ThickThoc Marsmallows switches (lubed and filmed) and using OWlab Stabilisers

tbSNjN1.jpg

mYnI74o.jpg

qfMi203.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Oh I know of the expense and have skipped the initial entry level boards and kind of went in at the more premium end. Still waiting for my CruelWorld CW88 to arrive and then have my eye on a couple more boards. and on about 5 GB's for various keycap sets already.

I have now built my KBDFans Odin (just waiting for the colour matched USB cable to arrive :p )

With Brass weight & Brass logo with ePBT Noel and ThickThoc Marsmallows switches (lubed and filmed) and using OWlab Stabilisers

That’s really nice, I was looking at the Noel key caps yesterday, they look great.

I managed to order a Frog tkl yesterday finally. Now to decide which switches and caps to use.

Soldato
I'm starting with a beginners build to test all the different types of mods and how to do them properly. I have a Mode65 on order now since im a lot more confident with what im doing compared to before! Plus all the terminology and different parts make a lot more sense to me now and how they affect each other. The mode is so expensive but if i can make this RK61 sound this good im sure the Mode65 will wow me even more with the appropriate layout and the right amount of lube!

Specs:

RK61
Box Inks Lubed
Stock stabs lubed and holee mod with band aid mod for tighter fitness on the plate
EVA Foam layered
Tempest tape mod
Traitors UKIYO-E keycaps

OIhwMYy.jpg

UGCifmK.jpg

rJEZV7g.mp4

Excuse the echo, my room is very open!

Associate

Praise be to sticking rigidly to ISO UK limiting options on both keyboards and keycaps, lol.

Can't use more than one set of keycaps let alone another keyboard at the same time!

Soldato
OP
That’s really nice, I was looking at the Noel key caps yesterday, they look great.

I managed to order a Frog tkl yesterday finally. Now to decide which switches and caps to use.

Nice. Frog is on my list of TKL's to add at some point but I have a couple other boards on my list first.

I'm glad the designer got Noel re-released via ePBT rather than having to wait 2 years with a GMK re-run. But if a GMK re-run is done in the future then I will be sure to add to my collection. I think another round of Noel is already under way and should be in stock "soon"

Now I just have to wait for the next build and all the various key cap sets I have ordered and plan that next purchase

Associate
Anyone got any opinions on Linear switches, currently using alpaca v2 and banana splits, prefer the alpaca's for weight, noise and feel. It's to go with a purple frog with FR4.
I'd lke some purple swithces if possible, but will look at anything. Max $1 a switch.

Has anyone tried Lavenders or NK Creams

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom