Hell Let Loose - Console Edition

Soldato
Played around 20hrs of this on PC but easily 40+ hrs on XSX since release.

I find the "mutes" usually do as you ask but it's hard to explain if they don't know what's what.

What really boils my urine is Sl's not placing outposts at the minimum, garrisons ideally. It takes you literally seconds to do....

I'm level 32 and absolutely loving it. After the car crash 2042 is, this will be my game of choice for atleast the remainder of the year.

Add me if you fancy some laid back squad action. I'm STILL learning but have a good grip on what's what.

Alabamatick1

Soldato
I think not having cross play has really hurt the longevity of this game on consoles. If you were able to partner up with PC players I think it would’ve been great. It’s not even a twitch shooter like CoD games etc so aim assist wouldn’t have been a big issue, but could’ve been resolved by adding auto aim with controllers.

Soldato
I think not having cross play has really hurt the longevity of this game on consoles. If you were able to partner up with PC players I think it would’ve been great. It’s not even a twitch shooter like CoD games etc so aim assist wouldn’t have been a big issue, but could’ve been resolved by adding auto aim with controllers.

Haha, are you joking? The fact that it's not a twitch shooter is why it could never be cross play. **** trying to aim at someone 100m away on PC only for them to spin around and aim-assist you. It would totally kill the PC version if there was crossplay.

Soldato

I was keen (sad) enough to grab this 10 minutes after midnight, when released - though I had to search for it in the store, as PS+ was still showing the September games - I swear it must have put me into games with PC players; as they were all on comms and working amazingly as a team.... some pretty high ranks too.

Ever since though, I've not had a single game so well coordinated - it's almost as though they have turned off matchmaking with the PC guys for some reason :(

Soldato
There was never any crossplay. Chances are those like you who jumped on it straight away already knew how to play etc.

Must have been people with early access or something - there were plenty of rank 20, 30+ players in the game. Probably why they were all so clued up.

Edit: oddly, a lof of the reddit posts on the HLL subreddit, after it came out on Plus, suggested that PC and console players were together at some stage....

Soldato
I'm hoping this will come free to play I think it needs to, to get its name out.

It was free on PSN, but I personally would have been more than happy to pay full price for it - it's an utterly brilliant game that easily puts AAA stuff to shame. It also has a pretty huge following of loyal fans, so doesn't really need to get a name anywhere.

Been playing it since it came out, though only rank 68 (lots of demands on my time), but have most classes ranked up to unlock the different kit loadouts - just need the final AT kit (deployable AT gun) and the last Assault kit (iirc it's a bit of a powerhouse).

One of the things I love about the game, is the nearly vertical learning curve, as it weeded out all the COD and Battlefield players pretty fast; was pretty funny seeing them moaning online about it being too hard etc :D

But put in the effort to learn the roles and how the game needs to be played, contribute on Comms, and you'll get a gameplay experience hard to find elsewhere on console!

Soldato
I'm hoping this will come free to play I think it needs to, to get its name out.

This does not need to be free to play. Its 10x better than BF2042 for example and that cost a lot more.

Its well worth the asking price and there is loads of people playing it.

It also has an excellent friendly community player base that want to play as a unit to complete objectives.

Soldato
It was free on PSN, but I personally would have been more than happy to pay full price for it - it's an utterly brilliant game that easily puts AAA stuff to shame. It also has a pretty huge following of loyal fans, so doesn't really need to get a name anywhere.

Been playing it since it came out, though only rank 68 (lots of demands on my time), but have most classes ranked up to unlock the different kit loadouts - just need the final AT kit (deployable AT gun) and the last Assault kit (iirc it's a bit of a powerhouse).

One of the things I love about the game, is the nearly vertical learning curve, as it weeded out all the COD and Battlefield players pretty fast; was pretty funny seeing them moaning online about it being too hard etc :D

But put in the effort to learn the roles and how the game needs to be played, contribute on Comms, and you'll get a gameplay experience hard to find elsewhere on console!

Any tips on settings if any?

Just started myself and can already see this is miles better than BF.

One of the best things I love about it is the kills are very rewarding, due to it being more difficult as well as not knowing if you got a kill, due to nothing popping up on screen to say "you killed this player", especially at long range. unless you hear that slight ping getting a helmet headshot, or look at the scoreboard.
Its fantastic so far.
I admit I used no comms as had work later in the day, so didn't have time to set up, and it made me feel bad playing as everyone else seemed to be using comms. Will be connecting comms up when I play next.

Soldato
My problem is trying to drive friends away from the main Call of duty and Battlefield they wont fork out on game they dont know much about.

I know it has a good following but it breaking that mold.

Soldato
Any tips on settings if any?

Just started myself and can already see this is miles better than BF.

One of the best things I love about it is the kills are very rewarding, due to it being more difficult as well as not knowing if you got a kill, due to nothing popping up on screen to say "you killed this player", especially at long range. unless you hear that slight ping getting a helmet headshot, or look at the scoreboard.
Its fantastic so far.
I admit I used no comms as had work later in the day, so didn't have time to set up, and it made me feel bad playing as everyone else seemed to be using comms. Will be connecting comms up when I play next.

I'll fire it up in a sec, and list my controller settings - though a personal preference, it's a good starting point; think I got them from the HLL subreddit and slightly tweaked until it felt just right.

Just bear in mind, the aiming on the game is quite hard on targets over 200-300m, but I guess it mimics real life in that case, it's certainly lacks the finesse of other FPS out there.

I too like the way they have done kills - you do hear dull flesh thumps at close to medium range, less so at distance, but the helmet ping of a headshot is fantastic. I also like how you don't know who you have killed, as the game is clearly not about just kills; so unless you check your stats straight away you never know.

Don't worry too much about no Comms, though it does add a huge layer to a round, so long as you are not trying to go solo, your squad will appreciate someone helping. Sometimes I play mute, as baby sleeps just above the living room.

Having said that, it's great playing with people all over Europe, can have some decent banter with them, the Dutch especially; and playing in a squad of Germans adds a layer of authenticity :D

Soldato
My problem is trying to drive friends away from the main Call of duty and Battlefield they wont fork out on game they dont know much about.

I know it has a good following but it breaking that mold.

For those who go for the COD churn year on year, I think HLL would be completely lost on them - they'd probably call it a walking simulation or something; but they're coming from something that's a twitch shooter, to something that's aligned with milsims on PC.

I tried it with my mates, but they didn't take to it, so I will often play solo and just buddy up with squad mates in game, and honestly, I still have tonnes of fun; and don't have to put up with whingeing mates

Soldato
Right, I use Layout C for controller - I found that having steady aim on L3, made mid-long range shots easier.

For controls I have:

Lean toggle On
ADS toggle Off
Sprint toggle On
Steady aim toggle On
Vibration and Adaptive triggers both High (some set these to off to help aim)
Aim assist Off
Sensitivity X 70%
Sensitivity Y 50%
Sensitivity ADS X 24%
Sensitivity ADS Y 24%
Controller scoped 44%
Acceleration X and Y 100%
Movement Deadzone 60% (too low and you can end up slightly moving and putting away your bipod)
Look Deadzone 12%

Those are the settings that matter.

Soldato
Right, I use Layout C for controller - I found that having steady aim on L3, made mid-long range shots easier.

For controls I have:

Lean toggle On
ADS toggle Off
Sprint toggle On
Steady aim toggle On
Vibration and Adaptive triggers both High (some set these to off to help aim)
Aim assist Off
Sensitivity X 70%
Sensitivity Y 50%
Sensitivity ADS X 24%
Sensitivity ADS Y 24%
Controller scoped 44%
Acceleration X and Y 100%
Movement Deadzone 60% (too low and you can end up slightly moving and putting away your bipod)
Look Deadzone 12%

Those are the settings that matter.

Thanks very much, I will play the game some more to get used to things before I try these settings, much appreciate your time to post these. I was going to play some tonight but I had other things to do. Hopefully get on tomorrow.

Soldato
@Scort Using your settings now, had my best match with them getting 13 kills as infantry, not that this game is just about kills. Had such great fun in a random squad earlier, all worked together defending areas, and all using comms. This game is immense, the map design and battles that evolve in this is superb.

Soldato
@Scort Using your settings now, had my best match with them getting 13 kills as infantry, not that this game is just about kills. Had such great fun in a random squad earlier, all worked together defending areas, and all using comms. This game is immense, the map design and battles that evolve in this is superb.

Happy days, it's great when you have rounds like that, it really helps to cement just how this game needs to be played. I still get enjoyment playing without comms, often it's nice to just be the recon spotter and bugger off behind enemy lines on my lonesome, but having a great squad is always better.

Had a decent few games last night, though ended up being dragged into the Squad Leader role for a few of them, after the SL just up and left - luckily though, the guys in my squad were on comms and happy to follow orders; we ended up being the only team guarding the second to last point, which turned into quite a busy spot and we had to fend off a couple of attempts to take the point.

Soldato
Happy days, it's great when you have rounds like that, it really helps to cement just how this game needs to be played. I still get enjoyment playing without comms, often it's nice to just be the recon spotter and bugger off behind enemy lines on my lonesome, but having a great squad is always better.

Had a decent few games last night, though ended up being dragged into the Squad Leader role for a few of them, after the SL just up and left - luckily though, the guys in my squad were on comms and happy to follow orders; we ended up being the only team guarding the second to last point, which turned into quite a busy spot and we had to fend off a couple of attempts to take the point.

Yeah, our squad last night also focused on some defending, the farm, forgot the name. It was also quite an important point that enemies kept attacking, I just love how enemies come out of nowhere from all directions from trees in the distance or across fields, you have to keep a good eye on whats ahead, so much vegetation to take cover. Really good stuff.

Do you play with HUD?

Wondering if there is a dynamic hud option, will have to take a look.

Soldato
Yeah, our squad last night also focused on some defending, the farm, forgot the name. It was also quite an important point that enemies kept attacking, I just love how enemies come out of nowhere from all directions from trees in the distance or across fields, you have to keep a good eye on whats ahead, so much vegetation to take cover. Really good stuff.

Do you play with HUD?

Wondering if there is a dynamic hud option, will have to take a look.

Yeah, it is pretty cool how on one mode (I forget which) you can be in the red areas without the dreaded "return to combat" countdown - it allows you to sweep the areas and take out enemy Garrys etc. That gives scope to pop out on enemies and keep a stead push on objectives, you also need to keep an eye on the sky too - it's a great way to spot where enemies might be; supply drops from the enemy commander will often mean that there will be an enemy SL waiting to place a Garry - so go get them lol. Also, the enemy airhead, those things need to be taken out pronto, as a well-placed one unnoticed by your team, could easily turn the tide of a round!

Moving around, it is always best to hug the hedgerows, and never leg it over an open field - I have lost count of the number of times I had to do this, only for a 'ping' followed by the KIA message :D Oh,and learning the sounds of guns is a must - as you will be able to pinpoint where enemies are - the MG42 is the easiest for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, the Gewehr 43 sounds a lot like the M1 Garand, so that one is harder to pick out; I think the PC has recently had an upgrade to sound effects, so maybe it’ll be more distinct in future. The Thompson is another dead easy one to pick out.

I believe the HUD is dynamic - at least, I don't recall changing any settings on mine, and it will disappear after ~10 seconds or so, but can be brought up temporarily by holding right on the D-pad; lets you quick check clips/mags remaining, the match timer, and a quick glimpse at the capping status of objectives. But the map is always better for a real-time view of the battle.

Soldato
Yeah, it is pretty cool how on one mode (I forget which) you can be in the red areas without the dreaded "return to combat" countdown - it allows you to sweep the areas and take out enemy Garrys etc. That gives scope to pop out on enemies and keep a stead push on objectives, you also need to keep an eye on the sky too - it's a great way to spot where enemies might be; supply drops from the enemy commander will often mean that there will be an enemy SL waiting to place a Garry - so go get them lol. Also, the enemy airhead, those things need to be taken out pronto, as a well-placed one unnoticed by your team, could easily turn the tide of a round!

Moving around, it is always best to hug the hedgerows, and never leg it over an open field - I have lost count of the number of times I had to do this, only for a 'ping' followed by the KIA message :D Oh,and learning the sounds of guns is a must - as you will be able to pinpoint where enemies are - the MG42 is the easiest for obvious reasons. Unfortunately, the Gewehr 43 sounds a lot like the M1 Garand, so that one is harder to pick out; I think the PC has recently had an upgrade to sound effects, so maybe it’ll be more distinct in future. The Thompson is another dead easy one to pick out.

I believe the HUD is dynamic - at least, I don't recall changing any settings on mine, and it will disappear after ~10 seconds or so, but can be brought up temporarily by holding right on the D-pad; lets you quick check clips/mags remaining, the match timer, and a quick glimpse at the capping status of objectives. But the map is always better for a real-time view of the battle.

I wondered what airhead was, I kept hearing someone on comms using that word, and just assumed they were calling someone an "airhead" :D. Will have to check some guides.

I will check the guns, Im just playing infantry at the moment to learn the maps and game modes, Is it even possible to change weapons and get attachments unlocked for say an infantry soldier?

Back
Top Bottom