Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I've got a 'lite' coating that's rated for 1 year. I use pure shampoo and Autofoam only on the paint, no toppers etc etc. The coating is still going strong 16 months on.

Thanks for the feedback, it's given me something to ponder over... BH Autofoam is meant to be more alkaline with a PH of 12, so I agree it should be okay. I just don't want to wear down the coating, but hopefully it's a non-issue.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the feedback, it's given me something to ponder over... BH Autofoam is meant to be more alkaline with a PH of 12, so I agree it should be okay. I just don't want to wear down the coating, but hopefully it's a non-issue.

I didn’t realise the pH was so high. No wonder it cleans so well. I’ve just read quotes of pH 13/14. No way is that going near my car.

Soldato
To quote Bilt-Hamber themselves:

Auto-foam is alkaline, but importantly it is non-caustic and it's the latter that causes the problem in damaging coatings. Caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) can dull and leave finishes matt and lifeless when used long-term, auto-foam will never do this.

The pH preoccupation has arisen due to information propagated by self-professed experts on the internet. Most damage to car finishes is caused by particulate based road films that cause abrasive damage when removed by washing with mitt or sponge- inducing hologram scratching and paint wear. Our auto-foam is designed to remove as much of this a possible before use of sponge or mitt and this massively reduces the chance of mechanical damage.

Even some manufacturers of so called ceramics, last stage products and waxes insist on a pH7 (neutral) shampoo or cleaners and this is astonishing considering the normal range for rain water is pH 5-6. Our double speed wax can be washed around 60 times with auto-foam and still resist removal.

Man of Honour
Those figures are undiluted surely, once its diluted properly the PH is neutral.

That could indeed be the case.

I need to work this out myself since my polar blast needs replacing imminently. Since it’s now available on prime I might give it a whirl, it’ll be an interesting comparison at least.

Last edited:
Associate
With Auto Foam at the right PIR rating, I'm using basically 50/50 mix with water. I just spray it sparingly but it's worth bearing in mind, for the best performance Auto Foam definitely uses a lot of product in the Lance.

Soldato
Thanks for the link, I ordered this for my Nilfisk washer.

I've never used snow foam before, can someone recommend the best solution? I was going to go for Autglym Polar Blast but it seems to have mixed reviews.

I'm hearing good things about Autobrite Magifoam and Bilt Hamber TOUCH-LESS - any others to consider?

Another vote for magifoam. I've not used bilt hamber but tried a number of other products including Autoglym but the magifoam is by far the best I've used.

Soldato
So last rear I purchased a rotary polisher which came with the usual cheap attachments and huge backplate.

What foam pads and backplates do people reccomended? I'm a weekend warrior so really want a one pad for all to use with the G3 polish.

Also is it usual for polish to be splattered EVERYWHERE?!

Caporegime
So last rear I purchased a rotary polisher which came with the usual cheap attachments and huge backplate.

What foam pads and backplates do people reccomended? I'm a weekend warrior so really want a one pad for all to use with the G3 polish.

Also is it usual for polish to be splattered EVERYWHERE?!

Not really, use less and dab some from the pad onto the panel evenly.

Soldato
Anyone care to show pictures of their car clean product shelves? I'm after inspiration as to how to best tidy up my shambles of shelves full of odd products I have tried and in a typical man way don't want to chuck away but I just want to sort it all out and have it all arranged logically through prep, clean and finish.
I swear there was a picture of somebody who had the main product in a pump dispenser in front of a small spray for each..

I've got loads of products, some of which have become favourites now, as well as some "best" products I only use on my own car (also clean two kids cars and a people carrier so not everything gets the top wash stuff!

Soldato
I’ve already got a big bottle of AutoGlym Body Shampoo which is hardly used but bought some AutoGlym Polar Wash as well which I can spray on with the foam cannon.

Soldato
Following the question on what snow foam I washed the car earlier and took some snaps with the magifoam...3 squirts + 1 squirt of the citrus wash:

Before:

pf44jEt.jpeg
BN7lmjV.jpeg

During:

pG9jOFZ.jpeg
pYE9XHR.jpeg
qU3AjiA.jpeg

After a rinse...completely contactless at this point:

MzIk65r.jpeg
ZSrMBTI.jpeg

After a bubble bath and dry down:
sp6VyNM.jpeg

Soldato
nice
is that without a contact wash?

So the very last picture is after a scrub down with a mitt.

The 2 before that is a completely contactless wash.

I could have got away without using the mitt to be honest, and should have really left as that because it'll just get dirty again very quickly!

The magifoam and cirrus wash mix is very very effective. You can see see in the foam pictures the amount of dirt it's pulling off the car.

Soldato
I could have got away without using the mitt to be honest, and should have really left as that because it'll just get dirty again very quickly!

With the AutoGlym Polar series after using Polar Blast you then use Polar Wash and “Spray on the exterior bodywork of your vehicle and agitate the thick foam with a sponge or wash mitt”.

So use of a wash mitt is part of the process.

Man of Honour
I’ve got some bilt hamber auto foam arriving tomorrow. Curious to see how it performs.

I’ve also got some replacement Polar Wash arriving and also some dishwashing pads that I can use with my wheel cleaner to get some more grime off the exhaust. I think I’ve got some of the more acidic wheel cleaners somewhere that I’ll briefly apply to remove the remaining contamination.

Soldato
I bought the Polar Wash on Amazon and in order to qualify for free delivery I purchased 6x XL Kent microfibre drying towels as well. The Polar Wash was £ 9.99 ex VAT and the towels were £ 16.66 ex VAT.

I’ve only got two of those drying towels at the moment and I paid £ 3.89 ex VAT for one and £ 3.28 ex VAT for the other. The pack of 6 comes to £ 2.78 ex VAT each.

I highly recommend them, I used one the other day and it dried the front of my car, you’d probably need 3-4 to dry the whole car. They’re washable so once you’re done stick them in the washing machine and they’re ready to use again.

Man of Honour
I bought the Polar Wash on Amazon and in order to qualify for free delivery I purchased 6x XL Kent microfibre drying towels as well. The Polar Wash was £ 9.99 ex VAT and the towels were £ 16.66 ex VAT.

I’ve only got two of those drying towels at the moment and I paid £ 3.89 ex VAT for one and £ 3.28 ex VAT for the other. The pack of 6 comes to £ 2.78 ex VAT each.

I highly recommend them, I used one the other day and it dried the front of my car, you’d probably need 3-4 to dry the whole car. They’re washable so once you’re done stick them in the washing machine and they’re ready to use again.

The kent drying towels are brilliant. I have two that do my entire car. I’ve had them for years now. A good machine wash and they come up like new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom