• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Caporegime
Stumbled on this thread looking for info on my 3050 OCUK order - had a confirmation email but it didn't ship? Guessing it's not good news but wondered if it's worth calling tomorrow to check

At my wit's end trying to replace my R9 290 I've had since launch

Was it one of the RRP ones?

Soldato
Scalpers seem to be struggling. Only one card has sold at £399 before fees. Auctions without fake bids aren't going very high.

I'm predicting quite a few cancelled orders.

Without miners to scoop these up, the price is gonna drop quickly.

Associate
Man it'll really burn if the only time I actually managed to put a pre-order in (whether or not it actually does go through) that the price actually ends up dropping :(

Associate
I wish. 330 was the lowest I found when the site finally loaded

Paying more for the low-end card today than the top tier 8 years ago...

Something something "back in my day"...

It's crazy. This was my second GPU bought from Overclockers and my last one , a 7950 in 2013 was close to the same price as the 3050 today.

At least the gf will hopefully have a new GPU for the birthday next month

Associate
It's crazy. This was my second GPU bought from over lockers and my last one , a 7950 in 2013 was close to the same price as the 3050 today.

At least the gf will hopefully have a new GPU for the birthday next month

I guess it's all about attitude. If you can afford it and it brings you joy, we're all lucky to have those options available in the first place when others aren't so fortunate.

Caporegime
Scalpers seem to be struggling. Only one card has sold at £399 before fees. Auctions without fake bids aren't going very high.

I'm predicting quite a few cancelled orders.

Without miners to scoop these up, the price is gonna drop quickly.

It was stupid of them to believe that anyone was going to be paying north of £400 for one of these (at least at any sort of volume). They are in stock for less than that from reputable retailers right now.

Really fail to see the scalping potential with these, unless you picked one up at RRP.

Even then though, it really doesn't seem worth it. Why do people bother?

Soldato
It was stupid of them to believe that anyone was going to be paying north of £400 for one of these (at least at any sort of volume). They are in stock for less than that from reputable retailers right now.

Really fail to see the scalping potential with these, unless you picked one up at RRP.

Even then though, it really doesn't seem worth it. Why do people bother?
People at this end of the market are far less likely to overpay or they would already have a better GPU.

Caporegime
People at this end of the market are far less likely to overpay or they would already have a better GPU.

Indeed. This end of the market will be likely budget restricted anyway, and as miners wont be interested...well. Also, 3060's have been available for a while at ~£550 everywhere (ie proper retailers), so why people think they can get north of £500 on ebay for one of these is bizarre.

I think it will likely stay fairly tricky to get at RRP for a little while, but these scalpers are setting them at fantasy prices right now.

Caporegime
One nice thing about this card is the DLSS support, so whilst it's a bit weak for 1440p you can potentially use that to boost performance a bit.

Yes, that is certainly a massive plus. Makes it a much more desirable card for gaming than the 1660ti's/1660 supers because of that.

8gb ram is a nice to have too.

Soldato
8Gb of RAM gives it legs over the 6500XT, I'll stick with my 3080FE and the offspring will just use her machine to play Minecraft and Roblox, given her screen is my old Dell 1080 60Hz I think she'll be fine...

Associate
I’d love to flex. Own something new. Shiny.

The reality, for my families sake, I need to count the pennies. The games I play could chug along with integrated graphics. My family, Fortnite, etc. There is little justification to flex.

Soldato
Treated myself last year to a new 5800x based build, but I've had to stick with my old low profile 1050ti. Not been great with a 144p 34in widescreen. Had to play Control on lowest graphic settings. :o

So a 3050 should be a decent improvement. Its not the 3080/6800 I was hoping to throw in once prices came back nearer msrp - but it'll tide me over for a few more years.

Associate
I’d love to flex. Own something new. Shiny.

The reality, for my families sake, I need to count the pennies. The games I play could chug along with integrated graphics. My family, Fortnite, etc. There is little justification to flex.

Same boat here. My kids play Fortnite, Rocket League, Roblox and Minecraft. A 1030 runs all those fine at 1080p.

Back
Top Bottom