• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3050 - starting at $249 (msrp)

Soldato
Same boat here. My kids play Fortnite, Rocket League, Roblox and Minecraft. A 1030 runs all those fine at 1080p.
This is sort of why I'm happy to downgrade to the RTX 3050 (in so far as it is a downgrade, things like latest HDMI are actually quite appealing). Recent upgrade to 2nd hand RTX 2060 just isn't getting pushed.

For the most part the games I was playing ran fine on my GTX 970 and I don't spend that much time playing, but do like turning on all the eye candy and would usually prioritise that over frame rate or even resolution sometimes. I have a 4k TV but I'm slightly short sighted and can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at my typical sitting distance (from the sofa 720p will do TBH). I rarely use the TV for gaming. My monitor is 1920x1200. Both top out at 60hz.

I thought about upgrading my oldest son's gtx 1050 ti but for now he isn't playing demanding games, and shows no sign of wanting to (plus it's an old Dell workstation that I adapted for gaming and the PSU lack graphics card connectors so installing anything with high power demands might be a lot of faff). My younger son is quite happy with the onboard graphics on the family laptop (which aren't too bad, it's a Ryzen 5500u with whatever Radeon thing it has going). In this case I figure it's probably better to wait out the current GPU market nonsense and hopefully upgrade in future if and when they really want it.

Edit: So when I have time my old graphics cards are likely to be given a go on the MM, with the aim of getting back what I paid (happens to be about CEX voucher prices). Not yet though. I'm a bit busy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same boat here. My kids play Fortnite, Rocket League, Roblox and Minecraft. A 1030 runs all those fine at 1080p.

with settings dialled down it wont run Fortnite for instance if you have max settings it will crawl. It just depends what you define as "fine"

Just dont let them watch Youtubers playing Fortnite or before long it will be "Dad I need a better graphics card because XYZDer says its best to run Fortnite with these settings and my graphics card isnt good enough" or "Xbbeeber is recommending this GPU for Fortnite and I need one". :D

I thought about upgrading my oldest son's gtx 1050 ti but for now he isn't playing demanding games, and shows no sign of wanting to (plus it's an old Dell workstation that I adapted for gaming and the PSU lack graphics card connectors so installing anything with high power demands might be a lot of faff). My younger son is quite happy with the onboard graphics on the family laptop (which aren't too bad, it's a Ryzen 5500u with whatever Radeon thing it has going). In this case I figure it's probably better to wait out the current GPU market nonsense and hopefully upgrade in future if and when they really want it.

Believe me it wont last long, my two have already gone from Gaming laptops with GTX 960's and 1050ti when they were 4/5yrs, to 2060/2060 Super to 3060ti and one is 9 and one is 12.;) My youngest has the 2060 Super from my 12 year old and already mentioned a few times he wants a 3xxx series.

Soldato
Believe me it wont last long, my two have already gone from Gaming laptops with GTX 960's and 1050ti when they were 4/5yrs, to 2060/2060 Super to 3060ti and one is 9 and one is 12.;) My youngest has the 2060 Super from my 12 year old and already mentioned a few times he wants a 3xxx series.

Mines 13 and she plays on her Surface 3 which was a hand me down, this will be her second PC though, the first was an old i3 with iGP so to have an actual PC that'll have an NVMe drive in it, it'll feel like her birthday...

Soldato
They did exist, for a short while. A MSRP card that was made available to forum members. Just wish I included an air duster cannister in my order too.

3HcvemF.jpg

Soldato
This is sort of why I'm happy to downgrade to the RTX 3050 (in so far as it is a downgrade, things like latest HDMI are actually quite appealing). Recent upgrade to 2nd hand RTX 2060 just isn't getting pushed.

For the most part the games I was playing ran fine on my GTX 970 and I don't spend that much time playing, but do like turning on all the eye candy and would usually prioritise that over frame rate or even resolution sometimes. I have a 4k TV but I'm slightly short sighted and can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4k at my typical sitting distance (from the sofa 720p will do TBH). I rarely use the TV for gaming. My monitor is 1920x1200. Both top out at 60hz.

Edit: So when I have time my old graphics cards are likely to be given a go on the MM, with the aim of getting back what I paid (happens to be about CEX voucher prices). Not yet though. I'm a bit busy.

I'm downgrading my family system from a 2060 to a 3050 due to AV1 Codec and lower power usage and more vram, it also means someone gets a cheap 2060.

Associate
My card never shipped, probably oversold.

Not sure my weak mind can wait in perpetuity for stock. Probably cancel and play the FE lottery some more :(

Associate
Mine arrived this morning thanks Gibbo & OCuk.

It's not a big upgrade over my current GTX 1060 6GB (+ 10-15fps I think, possibly less in my PCIe- gen 3 slot?) but I need it for a new m-itx build. I wanted a 3060/6600XT but can't justify £500 at the mo.

Associate
My card never shipped, probably oversold.

Not sure my weak mind can wait in perpetuity for stock. Probably cancel and play the FE lottery some more :(

In the same boat it seems although I'm happy get it in the next few weeks :p Finally getting a card close to MSRP means a giant black cloud is gone and I got to find another purpose in life :cry:

Fingers crossed it arrives before the gfs birthday next month:D

Cant say I envy your FE Quest though. Had one in my basket once and every deal feels downhill from there regardless of price:p

Back
Top Bottom