Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
With such a huge force waiting to go in though do you think this is going to be an old fashioned surround the city and force a surrender, how they could they ever claim to be "liberating" Kyiv if they just flatten it.
The Ukraine military guy on the live committee conference just a moment ago (Boris speaking now) said words to this effect, that it is their assumption that this is what the Russian army is potentially planning, but that they are more or less ready.

A few key things have come up from all this that are really interesting to think about.

1: Putin has inadvertently bolstered Biden's approval rating. At the State of Union Address on Thursday, Biden has a key opportunity to dramatically increase his rating as current trends suggest if he addresses further and tougher sanctions on Russia.

2: The coming together of many western nations in a form of unity.

3: Warfare at an economic level will devastate a whole country and this is being watched by every country now. Going forwards, nobody in power will want that for their country so as a byproduct, this war will stick in the back of their minds and chances of another country stepping out of line and pulling a future Putin. Also other countries giving armaments to Ukraine has shown that at a global scale, people will come together to fight against the wrongdoers.

4: Propaganda no longer works in the 21st century. With access to the internet and videos of officials on the ground sharing videos of themselves updating the people, as well as citizens sharing videos that o directly against Russian propaganda, the whole world is seeing the Russian government as a laughing stock. No other country would want to fall under the same ridicule in future.

This is a completely new and highly effective form of warfare. Whilst Putin attacks using old school methods that are irrelevant today, Ukraine and others have chosen to stay up to date with the times and we are seeing its effects in real time, usually before even news networks have got hold of footage/photos thanks to social media.

I mean even the Taliban has made a statement basically saying everybody calm down!

Soldato
The US nukes in Europe (and I don't think there are actually that many left any more) are hardly a threat to Russia in reality, they are pretty much limited to defensive use in this day and age.

US could agree, only for the UK and France to install some on land. Including in Cyprus, and for Germany to develop one, and Japan to opt into nuclear weapon sharing.

Caporegime
They are writing the pretext and message to the home audience to fire a small nuclear weapon into Ukraine.

I have no idea how the west respond when that happens, but yes Putin wants the west involved so he can kick off properly and justify what is going on.

Soldato
Of course they're trying to bait NATO/the West. Any minor thing to justify going scorched earth, or a small nuke somewhere as the ultimate warning. Hopefully the cooler heads prevail and know that "just going in and kicking Putin's arse" is never going to be justifiable.

Capodecina
Soldato
I don't know about you guys but I feel we are getting closer to some even more barbaric tactics being used. The slow progress is peeing off putin.

The west meddling is increasing their frustration.

The ridiculous statements coming from the kremlin are escalating.

If anything it feels if they are gearing up for something truly grotesque.

Probably trying to bait nato.

I think they are trying to increase sanctions being put on them. Auto-sanctioning, I will call it. And then they will use that as an excuse for more force towards us.

I think we should be careful about how strong the sanctions are, they should be just strong enough to disable Russia to a large extent, but not enough for them to use them as an excuse for an attack.

Soldato
I don't think you understand the nuke stuff

I don't care about there threats of a nuke we can't sit back and watch, this is exactly what they want to make you feel scared of a nuke threat so you won't do anything.

Ukraine will be taken over and where does it go after that because it won't stop you do know that?

Caporegime
I don't care about there threats of a nuke we can't sit back and watch, this is exactly what they want to make you feel scared of a nuke threat so you won't do anything.

Ukraine will be taken over and where does it go after that because it won't stop you do know that?

You don't care about nuclear war?

I don't know about you guys but I feel we are getting closer to some even more barbaric tactics being used. The slow progress is peeing off putin.

Agreed.

I have a really bad feeling things are about to escalate even more because he is furious it is all not going as planned.

I hope I'm wrong though.

Soldato
They are writing the pretext and message to the home audience to fire a small nuclear weapon into Ukraine.

I have no idea how the west respond when that happens, but yes Putin wants the west involved so he can kick off properly and justify what is going on.
Probably the max of sanctions directly at Russia and any country that is not applying them.

Soldato
I think they are trying to increase sanctions being put on them. Auto-sanctioning, I will call it. And then they will use that as an excuse for more force towards us.

I think we should be careful about how strong the sanctions are, they should be just strong enough to disable Russia to a large extent, but not enough for them to use them as an excuse for an attack.

Or enough push for the people with actual power when it starts coming out of their pocket, then Putin's days are numbered.

Caporegime

If you really dial it back though, all this talk of him wanting NATO to get involved doesn't make any sense.

In a conventional war, he's toast and Russia loses. In a nuclear war, the whole world is gone.

He's committed most of Russia's military to Ukraine. This shows that he doesn't expect NATO to get involved as his army will get wiped out easily.

Therefore, how it starts does not matter at all because in both scenarios Russia loses. If he truly wanted world war 3, he could have easily started it by now.

Soldato
Probably a silly question.

Out of interest, what countries around the world have the incentive or could realistically want to invade another country for land, resources, willy waving etc?
We currently have Russia invading the Ukraine and some stuff going on in the middle east from what I can make out. Would for example, Brazil try to invade a neighbour or Columbia invade Ecuador. Is it a case of only a handful of countries that could do something like this. I would like to think there is zero chance of Spain wanting to invade Portugal or Sweden wanting to take over Denmark for an example.

I am not really that clued up on world politics and what wars are currently going on around the world so please forgive my ignorance.

Soldato
Didn't hit the building - was in the middle of the road - hit cars. Probably missed its intended target - for some reason their Iskanders seem to be out by around 50m - like consistently out by about the same amount it is weird.
They're probably using Bing maps as a guidance system

Caporegime
If you really dial it back though, all this talk of him wanting NATO to get involved doesn't make any sense.

In a conventional war, he's toast and Russia loses. In a nuclear war, the whole world is gone.

Therefore, how it starts does not matter at all because in both scenarios Russia loses. If he truly wanted world war 3, he could have easily started it by now.

This is true. But I feel its more if he does not get anything but humiliation from this it's possible he might bomb Ukraine in such a way as to say... Your turn now nato.

I still think he's completely irrational so not sure applying logic is a good assessment of how this will go.

Soldato
Splitting hairs much. Point being that, unlike many are suggesting, they can operate in impunity from air attack.
No, I'm not splitting hairs, I'm applying correct terminology is all. There's a difference in air supremacy, superiority, parity, denial and incapability. If we're going to use actual military terms, we should use them in the correct sense, particularly with regards to this topic.

If you'd like to learn more check out Joint Publication 3-30, or JDP 0-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom