*** Apple Event Tuesday 8th March 2022 @ 18:00 UK: 'Peek Performance' ***

Soldato
Yes but the point they were making is that you’ll not be getting 5G for the base price of £569. It’s an extra £150 @ £719.

No one should really be buying that product unless it’s for a very specific use case where the operator does not have a phone they can tether to or WiFi available. I can see it’s appeal to businesses but not really for consumers because of smart phone penetration.

No really, you can use GPS. It’s also handy as a lot of the providers throttle the tethered network. I’m sure I read someplace that you can use unlimited data if you have it tethered too? No good as a lot of us watch netflix/YouTube on the iPad.

Then there is also the issue if you’re using wifi having to connect to a VPN which even on a premium VPN can be quite slow.

Having said all that I got the wifi iPad and I regret not just biting the bullet and getting the 5G pro. Would have certainly been a game changer for me

Commissario
A lot of the 5G models will go to businesses who get them through their mobile phone contract or to people who see the 'fantastic deals' advertised outside phone shops where you get an iPad with xxGb/month for £3 (or whatever it is).

Associate
It’s time to upgrade my ancient iPhone se1. I can’t decide between a 12 mini and the new se3.

I like a small phone, I like to take pictures. I need a day of average use from the battery.

Soldato
It’s time to upgrade my ancient iPhone se1. I can’t decide between a 12 mini and the new se3.

I like a small phone, I like to take pictures. I need a day of average use from the battery.
Do you mean the 13 Mini by any chance? Absolutely no reason to buy a 12 mini in a world where the 13 mini exists for a similar price (new).

Soldato
but are they twice as good as the SE3?
Personally I’d say the 13 Mini is yes. Plus it’s £679 whereas the SE3 is £429 (but £469 if you pick the competitive 128gb storage version) and at that point it just makes so much more sense to pay the extra £200 and get the 13 mini.
The 13 mini is also proven to have decent battery life whereas reviews aren’t out yet for the new SE. IIRC the 2020 SE wasn’t all that good in the battery department?
The 13 mini also has the very latest camera tech as Apple put the same sensors across the entire 13 range this time - save for the telephoto lens.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
The 13 mini also has the very latest camera tech as Apple put the same sensors across the entire 13 range this time - save for the telephoto lens.

Not quite. The wide and ultra wide on the Pro are different. The Pro has a larger aperture on both lens and the ultra wide can do macro on the Pro. The Pro also has larger pixels on the sensor, together with the larger aperture mean better HDR and low light.

Soldato
Not quite. The wide and ultra wide on the Pro are different. The Pro has a larger aperture on both lens and the ultra wide can do macro on the Pro. The Pro also has larger pixels on the sensor, together with the larger aperture mean better HDR and low light.
My bad.
Still a fair step up from the SE system I'd wager.

Commissario
Just looking at the dimensions of the 27" Studio display:

Height: 47.8 cm (18.8 inches)
Width: 62.3 cm (24.5 inches)

A little bit smaller in both dimensions than my 27" iMac which will suit me as it means I'll be able to push it back a little further on my desk because my iMac is just slightly too tall to go under the shelf. I'll order one of these with the Mac Studio and then may get a second one a bit later.

Soldato
Studio display vs Pro Display XDR.

There's no surprise here, there's no local dimming in this and it's not Mini-LED. But still, shows how far off we are from the £5000 screen.

gJ991I0.png

Soldato
Ah the super common use case of sitting in a pitch black room looking at tiny white boxes :cry:

Yeah some people are upset (were they expecting 5K, HDR, 120Hz, 1000nit brightness, MiniLED, etc at £1500?) but to me this always was "iMac without the computer" and iMac screens are high-res, glossy, accurate but otherwise typical without fancy features.

Back
Top Bottom