*** Apple Event Tuesday 8th March 2022 @ 18:00 UK: 'Peek Performance' ***

Soldato
I'm the same camp as a good few others. I was ideally holding out for a new larger iMac (which I hope is still happening?)

I was really hoping to replace my 2013 27" iMac this year with a new M1 model. The 24" iMac is too small for me to use comfortably. The M1 Mini is under powered for my needs and the new Studio, even with the base spec and the new Studio display is out of my budget.
If a larger screen iMac is now dead, then I'm in the queue for a more powerful Mini with an M1 Pro and Studio Display being my best bet.

This now though I've actually been left feeling slightly disappointed by yesterday's event.

Last edited:
Soldato
So the cheapest way to get the 27'' is £1500 display and a M1 Mac Mini for £700... so £2,200 for the most basic.

The cheapest 27'' iMac was what, £1800?

Ugh, what a joke.

Even if they do consider doing an iMac 27'', is it going to be near the old prices? Surely the display is literally the same 5K as they were using in the iMac.... and they thought it was worth £1500... so all of the components offered were only worth £300? Surely not.

If they made the screen and mac mini combo near £1,800 I'd have said they've just split it and allowed the freedom but damn... dissapointed.

Soldato
Even if they released a refreshed big iMac, I can’t see be being less than £2k.

The other option is that you buy a non Apple screen, webcam and speakers for 1/3 the price of the Apple display.

Or blow the budget and get the upcoming 42” OLED from LG or the new QOLED from Samsung.

Soldato
Certainly is 5G

Yes but the point they were making is that you’ll not be getting 5G for the base price of £569. It’s an extra £150 @ £719.

No one should really be buying that product unless it’s for a very specific use case where the operator does not have a phone they can tether to or WiFi available. I can see it’s appeal to businesses but not really for consumers because of smart phone penetration.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The old LG 5K was an amazing monitor. I had one of them briefly and have used 2 of the 4K ultrafines for the past 4+ years and again, they are lovely panels apart from the issue that they suffered really bad image retention after a while.

Take whatever I say with a pinch of salt however as I was stupid enough to buy one of the 6K XDRs.

From what people are saying, you cannot change the stand on these new ones once they have been built/delivered. The stands are not removable so perhaps best to get the VESA mount one.

Soldato
Any suggestions for a 4k local dimming panel alternative with HDR?

What's your budget?

ASUS ProArt PA329C is HDR600 with 384 dimming zones, about £1000. Other brands must have similar stuff. If you want HDR1000 or more dimming zones you're looking at £2000+.

Back
Top Bottom