Poll: *** The official Mac Studio thread (it has Apple Silicon, lots of ports and everything!) ***

Are you going to buy an Apple Studio?

• Total voters
Soldato
Do they? haven't checked myself, although the studio monitor has changed to preparing order.

Yup, they’ve retried the payment now and it’s been taken. I’ve got the Studio Display on a different order but payment hasn’t been taken yet. Both still in the processing stage and not due to be delivered until the end of March.

Associate
I saw this mac studio release and am hyped about it. Totally loved my Mac mini M1, Loved the Pro max MacBook until it wouldn't wake while connected to an external monitor and sorry that screen is terrible. For all it mini led and pro motion and HDR peak brightness quite possible the worst screen I have used for response times.

So with this being released I think I will go with an Ultra. But time will tell. Want to wait on some reviews and user feedback.

Soldato
Yup, they’ve retried the payment now and it’s been taken. I’ve got the Studio Display on a different order but payment hasn’t been taken yet. Both still in the processing stage and not due to be delivered until the end of March.

They've put a charge on my card but they they're only holding it and haven't taken it yet. That's what they've always done before releases, put a charge 5-10 days before and hold it, take it out a couple of days before delivery.

This traditionally has been to give people the chance to sort out their payment method if it fails without losing their change of delivery on release date. Happens all the time with iPhone releases.

Soldato
I would hope the NDA will be lifted and we'll start seeing reviews in the next couple of days.

Surprisingly haven't seen a Tweet about the lifting of the NDAs. Traditionally it happens 1-2 days before release, so it's just a few days from now.

Soldato
Won't have the studio until the 21st-22nd. Sold the M1 Mini already and will have to wait for testing.

Which Studio config did you go for? I’d be interested to see your thoughts compared to the M1 mini. That was the Mac I was going to get before this was announced.

Soldato
Which Studio config did you go for? I’d be interested to see your thoughts compared to the M1 mini. That was the Mac I was going to get before this was announced.

I've used both M1 and M1 Max at work and to be honest the difference isn't noticeable at all, at least not until you've doing compute intensive works (for me it's compiling code, running tests, etc) or heavy multitasking, or just need more than 16GB of ram. In terms of daily usage, snappiness, typical work applications (Zoom, Slack, Chrome, Office, Tex, Teams, etc) you don't notice a difference as M1 can handle them without breaking a sweat.

M1 MM (8-core GPU, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD) is regularly available for £1000.
M1 Max MS (24-core GPU, 32GB ram, 512GB SSD) is £2000.

You need to decide if 2x CPU cores, 3x GPU cores and 2x RAM is worth 2x the money. It is if you need more than 4 performance cores or more than 16GB (or need the GPU for productivity tasks), otherwise it's wasted money.

My Studio should be here on the 18th but my Display isn’t due till between the 23rd and 30th. Bit of a pain but I’ll survive!

My studio is for 21-23 and the display for 23-30. Would be great if I get both of them on 23rd!

Soldato
I reckon the review embargos will lift today and we’ll start seeing them drop on YouTube this afternoon. I’m quite sure iJustine will be creaming herself.

She already has the future Mac Pro (and 2025 Macbooks) on her YouTube page. All you need to do is to watch any video and swap the product names in your head. The videos are identical.

Back
Top Bottom