• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD confirms Ryzen 7 5800X3D launches this spring, Zen4 Raphael in 2H 2022

Soldato
18 of us got it right, 31 (the highest vote) plumbed for <$550, to me that's a bit of a cynical suggestion, its was never going to cost the same as a post price reduction 5800X but it was also not going to cost more than its launch price, $450 to me seemed obvious.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...the-amd-5800x3d-will-cost-at-launch.18947241/
With the lack of being able to bump the clocks it probably means it's not going to be as good as as people were thinking, will be interesting to see the reviews but I have a feeling that it will only be on par with ADL seeing the price tag AMD went for, you can be sure if it was quite a bit stronger than ADL then AMD would have charged more.

Nice to see AMD return to the budget segment though, a great time to build a system now.

Associate
Do I get to claim I'm right??
Unfortunately not, next tier up.

18 of us got it right, 31 (the highest vote) plumbed for <$550, to me that's a bit of a cynical suggestion, its was never going to cost the same as a post price reduction 5800X but it was also not going to cost more than its launch price, $450 to me seemed obvious.
Remember the poll was created well before the price cuts which were quite substantial.

Weren't you one of the posters that said AMD didn't need to or wouldn't cut prices?

Caporegime
With the lack of being able to bump the clocks it probably means it's not going to be as good as as people were thinking, will be interesting to see the reviews but I have a feeling that it will only be on par with ADL seeing the price tag AMD went for, you can be sure if it was quite a bit stronger than ADL then AMD would have charged more.

Nice to see AMD return to the budget segment though, a great time to build a system now.

Difficult to know.

12900K + DDR5 best result is +25%
Zen 3 best result is +16%
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1704...ybrid-performance-brings-hybrid-complexity/15
The 12900K + DDR5 wins by 10% more often than Zen 3 wins at all, i think the chart below also confirms that with DDR5 the 12900K is about 10% faster in games.

So yes either way its going to be very tight, but, and there is a but; DDR5 is very expensive. B550 Motherboards are very good and inexpensive, the one i have is really very good, without the Intel Wifi 6 and missing one metal M.2 cooler its £120, its an insanely good board for that money https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...2-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-593-gi.html

And of course DDR4 is very much cheaper.

PE8V4qV.png

Last edited:
Soldato
So many of the doomsayers were out in that thread with daft predictions, "well if it doesn't beat the 12900KS" and all that rubbish. £419 same price as the 5800X was at was launched at, seemed perfectly reasonable given there was actual competition in the market place. I'm just wondering how the discussion will go if it is faster than a 12900K, at £100+ less, somehow people will still say AMD are charging too much for it, will be interesting to see the usual posters who build one system every 8 years spout there usual rubbish.

Caporegime
So many of the doomsayers were out in that thread with daft predictions, "well if it doesn't beat the 12900KS" and all that rubbish. £419 same price as the 5800X was at was launched at, seemed perfectly reasonable given there was actual competition in the market place. I'm just wondering how the discussion will go if it is faster than a 12900K, at £100+ less, somehow people will still say AMD are charging too much for it, will be interesting to see the usual posters who build one system every 8 years spout there usual rubbish.

Yeah, like i said, "a cynical suggestion"

Soldato
Obviously it's only better when the extra cache benefits it, otherwise alderlake is far superior in multithreading/IPC and games that don't love the extra cache. Even AMD admit it's only faster in select games, hell with the reduced clocks it could fall behind the 5800X.

Soldato
Not likely, a slower 5800X with extra cache was never going to demand £500 price tag, I think £400 is steep vs even the 12700k, that will still offer far superior IPC and similar gaming performance.

Associate
Since the 5800X3D is getting 300 series support I guess I am upgrading my 2200G.

Managed to get a 6600XT for MSRP at launch so will grab a 5800X3D at launch too and that should see my system last for another 5 years pretty comfortably.

I am torn on whether I should get a B550 motherboard though. I expect there will be a GPU upgrade in that 5 year time frame and maybe by then PCIe 3.0 x16 will be an issue bandwidth wise for RDNA 3/4 or whatever.

Caporegime
Since the 5800X3D is getting 300 series support I guess I am upgrading my 2200G.

Managed to get a 6600XT for MSRP at launch so will grab a 5800X3D at launch too and that should see my system last for another 5 years pretty comfortably.

I am torn on whether I should get a B550 motherboard though. I expect there will be a GPU upgrade in that 5 year time frame and maybe by then PCIe 3.0 x16 will be an issue bandwidth wise for RDNA 3/4 or whatever.

If you plan on keeping it for 5 years i would, for that length of time i would want a new board, the one i linked on the previous page is a good board.

Soldato

The price is very interesting, it's not like amd to take Punts on pricing - if they are dominating the competition they will price their product like it.

Either someone has elected to lower the price on this thing, thereby breaking trend with AMD pricing methodology or it's just not as good compared to competitors

Soldato
CPU price comparisons ever since ADL launch have been simply daft - go look at mobo prices too! A decent mobo that I'd want would cost me almost double for ADL than Zen3, it's not even close. Whatever £20-30 you might save on CPU (also not likely) means very little by comparison.

Granted, if I wanted Zen 3 I would've bought it at launch so I'm waiting for Zen 4 anyway but I hate these discussions around prices when people don't factor in everything as they should. Last I checked you can't just buy a CPU and use it by itself.

Associate
Says you and Amazon stats lol, official stats say alder lake is out selling Zen 3, hence huge AMD price cut and a feeble zen 2 budget response to alder lakes low end.
Didnt the stats show desktop sales which would include pre builts like dell and hp which are bound to be up as most business will buy what Dell and teh likes push. The Amazon stats are purely CPU specific and for me more indicitive of what the enthusiast buys

Caporegime
The price is very interesting, it's not like amd to take Punts on pricing - if they are dominating the competition they will price their product like it.

Either someone has elected to lower the price on this thing, thereby breaking trend with AMD pricing methodology or it's just not as good compared to competitors

The 5600X was faster in games than the 10700K and 90%+ the performance in any MT productivity workloads, also about half the the power consumption.

The 5600X was $299, the 10700K $374
The 5800X was the same vs the 10900K and again it was cheaper. Infact the 5800X and 10900K were much more even in MT than the 5600X vs 10700K.

Intel didn't have competitors for anything about the 5800X

Back
Top Bottom