Ukraine Invasion - Please do not post videos showing attacks/similar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'm surprised this has gone on so long now and Russia has not used more stronger weapons

Poor planning and bad assumptions.

There may have been a genuine belief that some areas would have welcomed them.

Allied to that, the Russians may have wrongly estimated both their own strength and that of Ukraine.

The military historians will have a field day with this one.

Soldato
My head hurts, a family member seriously just posted a tucker Carlson & madjid nawaz clip on our wattsapp group. in I guess, an attempt to discredit support for Ukraine.

they both have such punchable faces, this timeline is just weird, I would pay not too listen anything that comes out of tuckers mouth. propaganda is working.

Permabanned
It always pays to listen to what's going on around those one might want to punch. Knowledge is power. The Guardian on line constantly reminds me of how many of its articles I have read and The Telegraph is behind a paywall that I have to circumnavigate, but hearing both presentations of "facts" is important in knowing the bigger picture, and what those I might mock are up to next. Hell I have even listened to Diane Abbott to confirm she has nor degraded even further, oratorically.

Associate
Poor planning and bad assumptions.

There may have been a genuine belief that some areas would have welcomed them.

Allied to that, the Russians may have wrongly estimated both their own strength and that of Ukraine.

The military historians will have a field day with this one.
Their invasion is about 8 years too late. 2014 they would if found a much more divided country.

Caporegime
That's not true, and by a long way.

Germany murdered around 6 million in the death camps. They murdered another 3 million or so Soviet POWs, mostly through a policy of deliberate starvation.

The GULAG death toll under stalin was around 2 million.

If the Soviet famines get thrown into the mix, then it's fair to include all excess deaths in German occupied areas- and their total would morre or less double.
you do realise every country in WW2 committed mass war crimes right? like bombing civilians on purpose....

Fire bombing of Tokyo

every countries soldiers sure took women against their will....

the worst Japanese surgeons did unspeakable acts on people, got pardoned by America and given jobs in the states in return for the medical data, much like the nazi people who bombed England with rockets then got to work for NASA as heroes.

No point pretending we are any better than Germany or Russia during ww2

Didn't churchhill divert food from starving India to British troops too.

Caporegime
It's pathetically empty threat. The level of response has caught Putin by surprise, so they're busy rattling their nuclear compensation in the hope that the collective West will be cowed by their barking.

Yup, it's unlikely but it is still more likely than any time since way back in the cold war... like say the Cuban missile crisis etc.. the risk is therefore worrying.

The other worrying aspect of that is that two of the other people who would be required for use of strategic weapons (the Defence Minister and the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces) haven't been seen for nearly 2 weeks, are they in some bunker somewhere? Or have they been dismissed/locked up/retired etc.. as a result of Putin's anger over the military failures so far? In which case who has replaced them?

Don
The other worrying aspect of that is that two of the other people who would be required for use of strategic weapons (the Defence Minister and the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces) haven't been seen for nearly 2 weeks, are they in some bunker somewhere? Or have they been dismissed/locked up/retired etc.. as a result of Putin's anger over the military failures so far? In which case who has replaced them?

"I'm removing the political officer's missile key, and keeping it myself."

Caporegime
"I'm removing the political officer's missile key, and keeping it myself."

Yup! Yikes if that happened, though that also perhaps increases his chances of getting coup'd... He might have his family safely in a bunker, his inner circle perhaps has them across Europe, various Russian cities etc.. and ditto to various FSB, FPS etc.. types too.

Soldato
Apparently fighting has started in Slavutych. This is the town that serves the workforce of Chernobyl NPP. :(

They were given until yesterday lunchtime (or thereabouts) to surrender and the town rejected. They've not had power/water for a good couple of weeks now. A friend sent pictures of the townspeople coming together to help each other and had made up a bench with generators to charge phones etc.

Not the most significant town in Ukraine but for those regular visitors to Chernobyl and The Zone, Slavutych will hold a special memory for them.

Permabanned
Head of Russian central bank tried to resign and Putin said no.

NATO talking a lot about chemical weapons. Russia also talking again about nukes. Seems like Russia is going to escalate again.

The only reason the Nuke chat has resurfaced is because 2 journalists have pressed Russian diplomats on them in interviews and NATO has viewed it as rhetoric (which it still is). CNN and Sky are terrible for marketing it as fearmongering clickbait. The statements made by the diplomats weren't even that extreme taken in context, they're basically in line with Russia's launch policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom