BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Would my M Performance exhaust and the M Performance steering wheel be classed as modifications for insurance purposes? They were on the car when I bought it from BMW and I think it was spec'd like that when built, or they were added shortly after it was delivered to the dealership.

It would have almost certainly been fitted by the dealer, so while it’s a proper BMW modification, it deviates from the original spec.

In the event of an accident and a replacement part, they'd probably use the VIN to determine what parts are required, and I suspect that would mean a standard Comp sports exhaust.

Worth some investigation.

No its not!!!
Marina Bay Blue is!!

Guess what colour I have?
:D:cry:

It looks quite similar, be interesting to see them side by side...!

Man of Honour
In which case then you should probably declare it in case someone rear-ends you and it's not covered?
Well that's the whole point of me asking, it's more expensive to declare it so I don't see why I should pay more money if it isn't necessary.

It's not like any sites ask for the value of the part.

Think I'm going to speak to Pace Ward and similar insurers and just get like for like added to the policy.

Soldato
Would my M Performance exhaust and the M Performance steering wheel be classed as modifications for insurance purposes? They were on the car when I bought it from BMW and I think it was spec'd like that when built, or they were added shortly after it was delivered to the dealership.

If it has been added since coming out of the factory, then yes it is a modification. I don't think an MPE is available from factory.

BMW regularly sell modified cars as AUC. Doesn't stop them being mods.

Soldato
Soldato
Most cars turn the ICE off once the engine is shutdown then the door opened. Depending on which idrive version you have there might be a setting within it. Have fun and explore...

Soldato
Thoughts on this please? Prices have dropped since I last looked into them over Christmas but are they still overpriced?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202204074404819?atmobcid=soc3

Cheaper but too modified? No adaptive suspension
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203233859805?atmobcid=soc3

Another cheaper alternative (no adaptive suspension or HK sound)
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203314139656?atmobcid=soc3
They're worth what you're willing to pay. I wouldn't say the first one is too bonkers.

Caporegime
Fitted a Road Angel Halo dash cam, dead easy using the 12V socket under the glove box, some pushing of the cable under the headlining and a couple of sticky pads with cable hooks. Looks very clean and professional even if I do say so myself.

Soldato
M4 prices still not dipping. Bored of waiting now, and as I want a convertible it’s going to be annoying with the summer price hike.

I keep toying with the idea of selling mine as it's only a few grand less than when I bought it several years ago now, car market is mad. They are great though!

Soldato
I'm seriously considering buying an E92 335i and selling my E81 130i. Test drove a 2011 N55 manual last week and am going back to see it again this evening. It was fundamentally a much better car for my predominant use of dual carriageway and motorway driving.

That being said my 130i was fantastic going cross country with the windows open in the warm weather last weekend!

Soldato
I'm seriously considering buying an E92 335i and selling my E81 130i. Test drove a 2011 N55 manual last week and am going back to see it again this evening. It was fundamentally a much better car for my predominant use of dual carriageway and motorway driving.

That being said my 130i was fantastic going cross country with the windows open in the warm weather last weekend!

6 months of living with a 130i and it's been pretty good. I think it could do with a suspension refresh, but aside from that it's been (touch wood) reliable and not even that bad on fuel. Seeing that I WFH and basically use it as a weekend/long trip car, anything bigger is a bit pointless. Swapped from the MX5 in an effort to save a bit of equity, and whilst I miss the MX5 and will likely get another, I think it will be in MK1(NA), or maybe MK3(NC) guise.

2ZT0Kvu.jpg

Soldato
Nice looking 130i! I've done a complete suspension refresh in mine so let me know if you need any tips or advice and I will break out the spreadsheet!

Here's mine for reference:

vq3qPQP.jpg

Associate
I did the whole thing on my old 130i LE

Price wise can't remember as they could be anything now lol

Suspension overhaul:
- Bilstein B12 Sportline Suspension Kit
- Powerflex Rear Subframe Rear Mounting Insert - PFR5-421
- Powerflex Rear Subframe Front Mount Insert - PFR5-419
- Powerflex Front Radius Arm To Chassis Bush - PFF5-401
- M3 Front Lower Control Arms (LCAs)
- Xenon Regulating Rod: Part number 37142283867
- Camber Pin Mod

Soldato
I’d be curious to know what your suspension refresh involved and cost please!
No problem! Here are the parts I had fitted. Through the M3 front arms, the camber plates and the removal of the camber pins on the top mounts the car runs 2 degrees of negative camber at the front, which really helps with tyre wear. I would highly recommend the Whiteline bush inserts as the rear feels a lot more stable now.

With hindsight I wouldn't bother with the M3 rear arms and I would probably use M3 front track control arms. Cost was faily significant! Probably around £1k in parts and nearly £400 to fit, plus alignment.

I bought from a combination of eBay and Autodoc. The Autodoc prices change daily; I'd advise using the app and keeping a wishlist to easily see which day of the week is cheapest.

hr359ly.png

Back
Top Bottom