Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
My 18 month contract for gig1 broadband and 15gb virgin sim for £66 was ending next month so called them and got gig1 broadband and 10gb O2 sim (volt bundle) for £54 for 18 months. I'll take that.

May I ask how did you get the O2 sim? Did you just ask them for an O2 sim?

E: So VM offered £40 per month for the M500.

And if I do the Volt upgrade does that mean I will get 1gbit at the M500 price? What happens when the times comes to renew?

Last edited:
Associate
May I ask how did you get the O2 sim? Did you just ask them for an O2 sim?

E: So VM offered £40 per month for the M500.

And if I do the Volt upgrade does that mean I will get 1gbit at the M500 price? What happens when the times comes to renew?

They offered me the O2 sim, instead of my existing VM sim and the person on the other end ported my number for me. Not exactly sure how it works but they did say it was the volt doubling up the broadband speed and data allowed on the sim. It's locked in for 18 months so I'll not worry about what happens after until then.

Associate
My most recent renewal a month or so back was m500 for £36. Got a 5gb o2 sim through uswitch for £6 a month.

Took a week or so to activate volt benefits and a new hub being sent, but now on gig1 and a 10gb sim for £42.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My most recent renewal a month or so back was m500 for £36. Got a 5gb o2 sim through uswitch for £6 a month.

Took a week or so to activate volt benefits and a new hub being sent, but now on gig1 and a 10gb sim for £42.
That's a good deal. I have M200 for £25 a month and same sim deal as you so £31 for M350. Could call up and up to to 1 gig line but everything downloads so fast as it is that I don't see the point just yet.

Soldato
Well my SuperHub 3 updated to software version 9.1.2109.200 tonight, hardware version 1.0.

I don't really see what's new, but I suspect it's to due with the phones now having to be connected to the back of the Hub. Probably to save VM a couple of pennies, just so we can't have a phone service when either the internet down and/or during a power cut.

Soldato
So the installers finally came today and get me setup with the 1GB Fibre package. I've gone from a 38Mbps speedtest download score to 950Mbps+. Very happy with that. Not so happy that the Hub 4 has silly limitations - like not being able to set the LAN subnet to anything other than 192.168.0.x and the modem mode not offering an IP to my pfsense box so I've got to re-jig my entire LAN this weekend to accommodate, but I'm sure I'll cope.

Soldato
So the installers finally came today and get me setup with the 1GB Fibre package. I've gone from a 38Mbps speedtest download score to 950Mbps+. Very happy with that. Not so happy that the Hub 4 has silly limitations - like not being able to set the LAN subnet to anything other than 192.168.0.x and the modem mode not offering an IP to my pfsense box so I've got to re-jig my entire LAN this weekend to accommodate, but I'm sure I'll cope.

Modem mode works fine on the SH4 mate, something's up. Do a factory reset then try again. Sometimes the config goes screwy on the SuperHubs which, as with basically all ISP CPE, is cheap tat from the lowest bidder - $15/piece in this case iirc.

I've not run a SH in router mode in $(long_time), and anything is better than that. I'd strongly suggest you look to move away from pfSense though. Look at OPNsense or similar. Also, just fyi (genuinely, not being a git) watch your capitalisation on your units. It's 1Gb, but 1GB would be very nice indeed. :p

Soldato
I've not run a SH in router mode in $(long_time), and anything is better than that. I'd strongly suggest you look to move away from pfSense though. Look at OPNsense or similar. Also, just fyi (genuinely, not being a git) watch your capitalisation on your units. It's 1Gb, but 1GB would be very nice indeed. :p
Yeah I know the difference between Mbps and MBps - 35 years in the IT industry including building the Cisco WAN routing and Switch Fabric for Europes first ASP and you tend to pick up the odd bit of knowledge here and there. Doesn't stop you fat fingering on the odd occasion though. :p

Soldato
Yeah I know the difference between Mbps and MBps - 35 years in the IT industry including building the Cisco WAN routing and Switch Fabric for Europes first ASP and you tend to pick up the odd bit of knowledge here and there. Doesn't stop you fat fingering on the odd occasion though. :p
Fair dos then, but I'm sure you also then know how much confusion that generates in this sub, so it's always best to check. Even stuff like 'I pay for 500 megs but I can only download at 60MB/sec'...

Soldato
I think Openreach have stolen a huge march on VM by ramping up their FTTP programme - VM can't get the skilled manpower required to replace their coax network with fibre in any sort of close timeline, and if they insist on running RFoG and then converting to DOCSIS when the fibre gets to the house then all the problems inherent to the Virgin Media modems (which are probably responsible for half of the issues with the service) are still going to be there.

I am on a new(ish) build estate and VM used the existing Openreach ducting to run their fibre through the area - used a contracting company to do that work and putting the fibre boxes on the outside of the house, then VM employees to do the actual modem installation. We've been waiting a few years, but BT wasn't doing anything to upgrade us from Infinity.

Associate

That's good. I pay more for my 200mbit broadband. When I tried to negotiate a renewal I got the equivalent of a middle finger - still out of contract as a result. If I had any choice for a decent connection other than Virgin I'd be off like a shot.

Back
Top Bottom