Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
They are now virtually denying it's happening and claiming issues with individuals setups :rolleyes:

Yeah people are going deadlock letter now and going to ombudsman about it.

BT FTTP isn't far away for me its like a few streets away now and I will be off.
What's funny - this is a Brand New 6 month old FTTP area install In my area with not much uptake and they are struggling already, so I have been slating them on the local facebook pages and people whom was thinking of joining up have not..

Associate
That's good. I pay more for my 200mbit broadband. When I tried to negotiate a renewal I got the equivalent of a middle finger - still out of contract as a result. If I had any choice for a decent connection other than Virgin I'd be off like a shot.
I used the number someone posted in this thread. 0800 952 2277. Didn’t even need to haggle, just asked what best price would be for 500mb as I was out of contract. No waiting for callbacks etc.

Soldato
Got a linky please?

Associate
FTTP is now available for me, phew.

Still some ISPs not registering that it's available yet but will be ordering soon. Should only have a couple of months overlap

Soldato
Can anyone help with some advice on Virgin's 360 TV system? I've not had Virgin TV for over a decade so am a bit out of touch.

I was under the impression that it worked much the same way as Sky Q, with a main box (attached to the incoming coax cable) and then mini-boxes which stream to/from the main box.
Reading into it some more, whilst this does appear to be the case overall, there seem to be some differences with the way the mini-boxes work. I've seen mention that these can't "record" or "pause" live TV for more than a few minutes due to their lack of a hard drive. This makes no sense to me at all. Why don't they work the same way as Sky Q?
Also, do the mini-boxes need to be connected to the main box via Wifi or is Ethernet also supported?

Alternately, it seems you can have multiple main boxes rather than the minis, is this true? So each box could have its own incoming coax connection and be an independent, fully-functional box? In such a configuration, is there the ability to watch recordings from one box on the other and how seamless/easy is this?

Soldato
I have two 360 full size boxes, coax and Ethernet into each one.
Works fine watching recordings from either box regardless of which one it’s on as long as the box is not in the deep sleep eco mode.

Soldato
I have two 360 full size boxes, coax and Ethernet into each one.
Works fine watching recordings from either box regardless of which one it’s on as long as the box is not in the deep sleep eco mode.

Thanks, so basically they function as independent boxes just like if you had two separate TiVos?

I do understand that the new boxes also require a dedicated Internet connection for on-demand content, unlike the old TiVos which accessed this via the coax using an in-built modem. This is a biblical pain in the backside.

Soldato
Yeah exactly and yes dedicated Internet connection to each, no built in modems.

If you’re running coax to a new location, may as well do Ethernet at the same time.

Soldato
Yeah exactly and yes dedicated Internet connection to each, no built in modems.

If you’re running coax to a new location, may as well do Ethernet at the same time.

If only it were that simple.

I'm actually trying to work out an upgrade path for my parents, who currently have two old TiVo boxes, one in the lounge and one in an upstairs room. Coax runs to both locations and the cable modem is in the same upstairs room.

The issue is the house is over 100 years old and largely impervious to Wifi signals. I've had to resort to extenders and powerline adapters to get even patchy Wifi coverage downstairs.
The solution, as you say, is to run Ethernet downstairs somehow but this is also impossible to do internally so I'll likely do it externally. Been planning to sort it for a while so I can solve the Wifi issues but it would be a prerequisite to an upgrade of the TiVo boxes.

Soldato
I had to do the same thing for my parents, their house is probably 400 odd years old in the middle bit!
Ended up running external grade cat5e around the outside and up into the attic and down into wardrobe to get their boxes connected and a couple extra APs about the place.
Was a total faf but with such solid walls everywhere the wifi was bad and with the dodgy old electrical circuits I didn’t even bother trying powerline.
Everything just works now so less calls for me to fix it is a win in the long run!

Soldato
Is anybody else seeing a huge rise in their BBQM graphs, from around 7pm until around 11pm? It doesn't seem to be just me either, as a family member, also on VM, is seeing exactly the same spikes in their BBQM graph too. :(

Soldato
Is anybody else seeing a huge rise in their BBQM graphs, from around 7pm until around 11pm? It doesn't seem to be just me either, as a family member, also on VM, is seeing exactly the same spikes in their BBQM graph too. :(
Yup... Same shizzle again!

TBB have posted another article on it now, trying to blow smoke up VM's behind to sort it out.

9740b7d79d269195fb64f2d985e7ee7cdad95bee-04-05-2022.png

Soldato
I'm not saying the issue is fixed, but last night's graph shows some promise:
Likewise. I went from a week of evenings showing severely high packet loss and latency (even with Cake running on the router), to completely normal for yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Openreach is now live for FTTP literally a single street away in two of three possible directions away from my house. However, the Openreach website still says 'fibre first town - FTTP planned from spring 2022' for my postcode, but 'no plans for FTTP' for my postcode on the BT ultrafast fttp checker site. *shrug*

Back
Top Bottom