*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Is it the case that 2.4GHz IoT devices would need to support MU-MIMO to benefit from the 4x4 on 2.4GHz by using different streams (if 1x1 clients) rather than all using just the first? If that's the case then do many IoT devices support that in practice?

I've read lots of conflicting info so its hard to be sure!
Hi,

It‘s the access point that supports MuMiMo, the clients will all be 1x1 so the AP will run at 4 single channels rather than 2 channels on the Pro. In this case it’s the Mu that is important rather than the MiMo (which would help if the IoT devices were 2x2). OFDMA helps on AX but fundamentally you have double the bandwidth on 2.4GHz on the LR vs. the Pro.

Associate
It‘s the access point that supports MuMiMo, the clients will all be 1x1 so the AP will run at 4 single channels rather than 2 channels on the Pro. In this case it’s the Mu that is important rather than the MiMo (which would help if the IoT devices were 2x2). OFDMA helps on AX but fundamentally you have double the bandwidth on 2.4GHz on the LR vs. the Pro.

Thanks for the info!

One of my AC-Pros is very busy on 2.4GHz with 1x1 devices so I'll switch that for a U6-LR as that will give 4 channels versus 1 on the older AC-Pro as it doesn't support multi user MIMO.

Associate
Good Aternoon

I want to share my Internet with a neighbour, I currently have a Unifi setup with a 4 APs, USG, cloud key and various unifi switches. I've looked at the Nanobeam M5 and the lightbeam M5 but not sure which one would fit better. I'd like to share at least 100mbps of bandwidth, it would be nice if I could manage the devices in my Unifi management but not essential. Both houses are of brick construction and around 70m apart with direct line of sight but no way to cable so wireless is the only option. I would like to provide wireless and wired networking if possible but wireless only if the cost gets too high. I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm just trying to help someone out, so around £200 if possible.

Anyone done this or have ideas on the best solution?

Thanks

Karl

Soldato
Good Aternoon

I want to share my Internet with a neighbour, I currently have a Unifi setup with a 4 APs, USG, cloud key and various unifi switches. I've looked at the Nanobeam M5 and the lightbeam M5 but not sure which one would fit better. I'd like to share at least 100mbps of bandwidth, it would be nice if I could manage the devices in my Unifi management but not essential. Both houses are of brick construction and around 70m apart with direct line of sight but no way to cable so wireless is the only option. I would like to provide wireless and wired networking if possible but wireless only if the cost gets too high. I don't want to spend a fortune, I'm just trying to help someone out, so around £200 if possible.

Anyone done this or have ideas on the best solution?

Thanks

Karl
Maybe think about giving the neighbour their own vlan to keep them seperate.

I’ve used the UniFi UBB kit before and works very well. But I’m sure there is a cheaper option that someone can recommend.

Associate
Maybe think about giving the neighbour their own vlan to keep them seperate.

I’ve used the UniFi UBB kit before and works very well. But I’m sure there is a cheaper option that someone can recommend.
Thanks for the reply lmfy2k, I looked at the UBB kit which would do the job but a bit more than I wanted to spend.

I think a couple of NanoBeam M5 will be my best bet, not sure if they support VLAN tagging but I can tag the switch port on the way in to my network anyway.

Soldato
Morning all - Am I able to port forward via my unifi cloud key? I've logged into my device got to "Routing & Firewall" then "Port Forwarding" tab and see

UniFi Security Gateway Required
Please connect and adopt a UniFi Security Gateway to enable the port forwarding configuration

I've set my Virgin hub to "Modem mode" should I be doing it via there?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Morning all - Am I able to port forward via my unifi cloud key? I've logged into my device got to "Routing & Firewall" then "Port Forwarding" tab and see

UniFi Security Gateway Required
Please connect and adopt a UniFi Security Gateway to enable the port forwarding configuration

I've set my Virgin hub to "Modem mode" should I be doing it via there?

Thanks
What are you using as a router?

Soldato
The Cloud Key isn't a DHCP server or a router. It's just a management device. If you have a UniFi router (such as a USG) then the Cloud Key can configure the DHCP server that's in the USG. If you don't have a UniFi router then changing DHCP settings in the Cloud Key will do absolutely nothing.

If the only router you have is the Virgin Hub, then put the Hub back into router mode and setup your port forwards in the Hub.

Associate
I'm new to the trying to buy Ubiquiti stuff game. How bad is the stock situation? Can get a LR AP that I'd be happy with but fancy one of their 16 port POE Lite switches that are out of stock. Am I chasing the dragon here and should just buy something else? Any other recommendations for a 16 port POE switch I can mount to a wall neatly?

Soldato
You can mount any of the rack-mount switches on a wall, just hang the switch off the rack ears.

Personally, I like the original US-16-150W because it has both 24V and 48V PoE but any of them are good.

What will you be using for a router? You only get the full benefit of the switches when you’re running the full system with router and controller as yiu make the change and it just washes through in one click.

Associate
What will you be using for a router? You only get the full benefit of the switches when you’re running the full system with router and controller as yiu make the change and it just washes through in one click.
Planning on using the bog standard BT/Virgin router. It just looked like a neat switch more than anything so not wedded to Ubiquiti for anything.

Also it was passive cooling. Its going into a 'hotpress' cupboard that sits about 20C ambient and didn't want anything that would get too noisy trying to keep it cool.

Associate
Planning on using the bog standard BT/Virgin router. It just looked like a neat switch more than anything so not wedded to Ubiquiti for anything.

Also it was passive cooling. Its going into a 'hotpress' cupboard that sits about 20C ambient and didn't want anything that would get too noisy trying to keep it cool.
Reckon I was overthinking it. The POE 'dumb' version of the TP-Link switch I have already looks like it will do the job for £60 or so.

Soldato
Reckon I was overthinking it. The POE 'dumb' version of the TP-Link switch I have already looks like it will do the job for £60 or so.
I think that sounds about right. Unless you’re doing VLANs you don’t need anything fancy and while LOTS of people have VLANs at home, I’m unconvinced what that really brings to the table for 99.99% of home users.

Associate
I think that sounds about right. Unless you’re doing VLANs you don’t need anything fancy and while LOTS of people have VLANs at home, I’m unconvinced what that really brings to the table for 99.99% of home users.
Get enough of that ***** at work:) Actually got my hands on a U6-Pro which I think will do my house nicely. Now all I gotta do is start pulling some cables without annoying the wife too much.....

Associate
Had to restore my udmp again this morning after a reboot. First time a few months back was after an update.

Seriously tempted to make my own router and sell the udmp but then I'll lose my pretties...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom