Guy asks girl out at work, twitter kicks off...

Man of Honour
Twitter is free entertainment, take it too seriously and you come out with crap takes like a young relatively attractive junior doctor struggling to find a partner because of a twitter post.
Don't be surprised if it backfires however, I think she's going to end up living a very lonely life, as I dare say she's going find it very difficult to find a guy who will risk getting anywhere near her following this.

Whats the risk? Women talk about this kinda stuff a lot more than men, watch some trashy reality dating show like love island and look at the difference between how the men and women talk about each other. Your wife/girlfriend/partner's closest friends know a lot more about you than you think.

Soldato
Whats the risk? Women talk about this kinda stuff a lot more than men, watch some trashy reality dating show like love island and look at the difference between how the men and women talk about each other. Your wife/girlfriend/partner's closest friends know a lot more about you than you think.

What's the risk? So you'd be perfectly fine with it if you were the guy who sent the email? If this is her reaction to a completely innocent asking out for a date then imagine the potential fallout if she ever has an argument with a hypothetical boyfriend? She's got "false rape accusation" written all over her and that's certainly not something I'd go anywhere near.

It's quite concerning that you can't see there's a huge difference between sharing something in confidence with your friends vs posting it on the internet for the world to see...

Man of Honour
Twitter is free entertainment, take it too seriously and you come out with crap takes like a young relatively attractive junior doctor struggling to find a partner because of a twitter post.

I'm never entirely sure with some of these Twitter threads how many of the people replying are serious and how many are bored and parodying the SJW or whatever type response for the inflammatory entertainment. Can't say either is commendable - social wrongs, prejudices/bigotry, misogyny etc. are enabled by lies and distortion of the truth you don't correct that by employing lies and distortion of the truth and those who are doing it just for entertainment are only making things worse and usually a pitiful waste of oxygen as a person.

Soldato
It’s more a case that this woman has been leered at, cat called, objectified, dismissed because she’s a woman, treated differently because she’s a woman and sexualised numerous times in the day and this was the final straw. He’s coming across as creepy and I can see how she may think he’s dangerous as she’s clearly tried to distance herself from him. It’s clear she wasn’t interested in working with him let alone a relationship. Anyone can see that due to her not telling him her job and her not wanting to work with him. For him to then suggest a date is creepy and alarming. She clearly doesn’t want to be involved with him and he shouldn’t then suggest a date. He’s probably the kind of guy who will turn up outside her house and won’t take no for an answer.

As usual, this forum has no understanding of women and the struggles they face in society day to day from creepy men.

If a woman wanted to go on a date, if they were interested, you’d know -
(much like in the other thread). This one clearly wasn’t interested.

I think he's just clueless with women, you calling him dangerous is just completely lacking empathy, he probably needs some support and help with his social skills. It isn't a crime to be bad with women. He wasn't threatening or abusive. Why do men completely lack any sort of compassion for each other in the face of this rabid feminism that demonises men?

Man of Honour

This one made me chuckle. I honestly don't see the issue. I felt the email was somewhat cute if anything.

There is a genuine issue there with professional boundaries - people generally have an expectation of not being approached/advances made of this nature through professional channels at work and in that respect she probably should have reported it so he could be made aware it isn't appropriate if he didn't already realise.

Beyond that though, those banging on about sexual harassment, etc. need to get a grip and so many wild assumptions. The context makes a huge difference here and is mostly lacking.

Soldato
Binary world though, so context is often overlooked.

In alternative universe, she replies saying yes/no, but remind him it's not at all appropriate in work context, and could live happily ever after. In this universe though, doesn't seem any doubt at all the guy is a predator and shouldn't even be dignified with a chance for redemption or to be corrected. Twitter says so. Twitter validates my feelings. Long live Twitter.

Man of Honour
What's the risk? So you'd be perfectly fine with it if you were the guy who sent the email? If this is her reaction to a completely innocent asking out for a date then imagine the potential fallout if she ever has an argument with a hypothetical boyfriend? She's got "false rape accusation" written all over her and that's certainly not something I'd go anywhere near.

It's quite concerning that you can't see there's a huge difference between sharing something in confidence with your friends vs posting it on the internet for the world to see...

Well I wouldn’t be that guy in the first place but sure I’d have no issues. Only the two of us know it’s me, she’s at least removed their name. What’s the issue, public or not she can do what she likes with that email.

There’s thousands of screenshots of weird attempts to pick someone up on the internet. It’s quite a leap to associate that with fake rape accusations.

Soldato
There is a genuine issue there with professional boundaries - people generally have an expectation of not being approached/advances made of this nature through professional channels at work and in that respect she probably should have reported it so he could be made aware it isn't appropriate if he didn't already realise.

Beyond that though, those banging on about sexual harassment, etc. need to get a grip and so many wild assumptions. The context makes a huge difference here and is mostly lacking.
What boundary has been broken? She literally could have replied "No sorry I don't date anyone I work with" and then got on with her day. He's not forced himself on her...

Man of Honour
What boundary has been broken? She literally could have replied "No sorry I don't date anyone I work with" and then got on with her day. He's not forced himself on her...

People generally don't want to be dealing with that kind of stuff, especially unsolicited, through work/professional systems/channels and most work places have policies about it.

Man of Honour
People generally don't want to be dealing with that kind of stuff, especially unsolicited, through work/professional systems/channels and most work places have policies about it.
I'm pretty sure they also have policies in place about not cutting and pasting work emails on public social media. But she chose to ignore that one.

Caporegime

Isn't asking any girl on a date, talking to a girl at a bar, etc unsolicited? Unless the girl asks you, then it'd be unsolicited from the other way?

Soldato
As is quite apparent in the Depp vs Heard trial, women can be extremely manipulative and toxic, most men don't like confrontation, but those that do, are physical and that always comes out far worse for their partners in the long term, but the manipulative nature of some women can be equally as devestating, they may not be attacking you directly, but they will make your life almost impossible to continue as they talk their way into destroying your career/relationships and anything/everything else.

Soldato
Well I wouldn’t be that guy in the first place but sure I’d have no issues. Only the two of us know it’s me, she’s at least removed their name. What’s the issue, public or not she can do what she likes with that email.

There’s thousands of screenshots of weird attempts to pick someone up on the internet. It’s quite a leap to associate that with fake rape accusations.

Ah, the classic "it could never happen to me".

If you've ever (or will ever) expressed an interest in someone over a written medium then that potential is there - so unless you've only ever (and only ever will) asked someone out verbally, then you could be that person, even something as innocent as "hey, fancy grabbing a coffee sometime?" could potentially be manipulated into sounding predatory by someone with an agenda.

Any normal person, when receiving an email like the above, would respond with a simple "no thanks", and if they were feeling particularly vindictive, perhaps mention it to their (or the sender's) line manager as being inappropriate in work time/via work email.

Man of Honour
I'm pretty sure they also have policies in place about not cutting and pasting work emails on public social media. But she chose to ignore that one.

I was thinking of mentioning something to that effect - we had a reminder at work recently due to someone sharing confidential information to social media.

Back
Top Bottom