*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Had to restore my udmp again this morning after a reboot. First time a few months back was after an update.

Seriously tempted to make my own router and sell the udmp but then I'll lose my pretties...

The ‘pretties’ are generally inaccurate and don‘t really tell you very much.

Compare that with the fully configurable dashboards on Untangle or Grafana dashboards for pfSense and they don‘t really look all that “pretty”.

Soldato
I've recently migrated from my staple recommendation of "Ubiquiti for WiFi" over onto the Zyxel Nebula enabled APs.

Picked up a couple of the bottom end W6 models, NWA50AX. 1 in the attic where my old AC PRO used to be covers just as much and speedtests tend to carry a little more throughout now as well. £68 for an ap brand new with unlimited cloud management?

Routers are a bit more pricey but I've deployed maybe 30+ through work and if I didn't have my own homebrew then I'd likely have invested in one as well.

Caporegime
Eugh I think the PSU on my USG has blown. I've ordered a chinese no name replacement but I'm a few months ahead of where I wanted to replace it.

Still looking at the Qnap guardian, but if I have to replace it today and go Unifi, what are my best options? It's old now and years out of warranty so Ubiquiti will tell me to do one, I suspect.

Basically asking people to stop me dropping £500 notes on a dream machine pro right now and hold my horses and get Qnap up and running properly later in the year :D.

I'm moving (back) to a Gigabit fttp connection next month as well, in case that makes any difference. I think the lack of 2.5GB+ is off putting, but I'm likely to link my switches by fibre and the sfps soon anyway (as I've been given some fibre!).

Last edited:
Soldato
Just a hard no on anything UDx or UXG. If you want to stay UniFi put up a wanted thread on MM. I’m sure there will be someone with a used USG who could help you out for not a lot of money.

QNAP Guardian is due a refresh in the autumn (basically the same but with a Ryzen 3 CPU I believe). If you go Untangle or Mikrotik you can continue to run those on the Guardian when you get it.

For me, £40 for a used USG will see you through to a point where you can upgrade when you’re ready.

Caporegime
Just a hard no on anything UDx or UXG. If you want to stay UniFi put up a wanted thread on MM. I’m sure there will be someone with a used USG who could help you out for not a lot of money.

QNAP Guardian is due a refresh in the autumn (basically the same but with a Ryzen 3 CPU I believe). If you go Untangle or Mikrotik you can continue to run those on the Guardian when you get it.

For me, £40 for a used USG will see you through to a point where you can upgrade when you’re ready.
They're really that bad? I'll have a hunt around then!

If I can find something to limp until later in the year then I'm happy to wait for the Guardian, any idea what the price point is? If the existing one comes down in price it might be more attractive as well.

Soldato
They're really that bad? I'll have a hunt around then!

If I can find something to limp until later in the year then I'm happy to wait for the Guardian, any idea what the price point is? If the existing one comes down in price it might be more attractive as well.

I've actually got a USG boxed up going if you post a wanted thread I can chime in. Unless your replacement PSU sorts it.

Had it along with a UniFi AC Lite and 8 port POE switch that I decommissioned when we moved house, just stuck with VM's stock router for now done us fine... Was gonna post it all in a for sale thread, just not got round to it yet lol.

Caporegime
I've actually got a USG boxed up going if you post a wanted thread I can chime in. Unless your replacement PSU sorts it.

Had it along with a UniFi AC Lite and 8 port POE switch that I decommissioned when we moved house, just stuck with VM's stock router for now done us fine... Was gonna post it all in a for sale thread, just not got round to it yet lol.
I'll let you know once the replacement turns up as to whether it works or not, thanks!

Caporegime
I know you work in the industry so you have more knowledge but do you have any links to that? Any any idea of prices? The current 1602P seems to have shot up in price since I was last looking, or perhaps it was always around the £1,200 mark?

Soldato
Interesting - what power supply do you use to that? Is one of the Unifi PoE switches enough?

I run my controller via PoE, but have never bothered with the USG.

I'm using the PoE splitter that I linked to (with voltage set appropriately). Powering it is my USW-24-250W but any 802.3af switch will do the job.

I seem to remember that the PoE splitter didn't come with a connector that fit the input on the USG but there was a suitable connector in a pack of connectors that I bought for something else, I think that came from Amazon too.

Edit - I found the connectors but they're not stocked any more it seems.

Soldato
I know you work in the industry so you have more knowledge but do you have any links to that? Any any idea of prices? The current 1602P seems to have shot up in price since I was last looking, or perhaps it was always around the £1,200 mark?

QNAP regularly put out upcoming release alerts that pop up on my desktop because I have the QNAP finder app installed. There were always several specifications and the 1602P was always £150 more than the 1600P but if you’re looking at £1200 then I suspect it has a lot of RAM installed or you’re paying some sort of “we have stock” tax.

Our trade-only distributor has the QGD-1600P 4Gb RAM listed for £500+VAT and the QGD-1602P 4Gb RAM listed for £650+VAT and no stock of either.

Back
Top Bottom