*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Associate
What exactly are you planning on using the controller software to do beyond the initial config and periodic update of AP firmware?
I thought I had read somewhere that you needed it running all the time, so if it was on a pc, the pc would need to be on all the time. I think I must have got confused by someone saying that if you want to be able to constantly manage them via the controller software, then you’ll need it on all the time.

This afternoon I quickly set up my 2 access points, via the netgear poe switch and isp router. I downloaded the controller software to my pc for the setup and can now see that I won’t really need it running all the time and from the pc will be fine for my needs.

So to answer your question - it seems like there’s nothing I’ll need to do and so I don’t need it at all. Saved some money and hassle!

Man of Honour
Will have a look at that
Choose the arm Ubuntu image and either install the controller in a docker and also run Adguard Home as an example or run it native. There is a two command Controller installation script which makes things super easy. Buy the guy a coffee if you use it as he is constantly updating it etc.

Code:
wget https://get.glennr.nl/unifi/install/unifi-7.0.25.sh
bash unifi-7.0.25.sh

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone had any internet connection issues since updating to the latest UDM firmware?
I updated a day or so ago with no issues at the time yet at 4 this morning my UDM decided that there was no internet connection available. I have FTTP through Sky and the ONS box is all green so it appear to be the UDM where the problem lies.

Soldato
I can confirm the price on the website is the price you pay in total. I had an order delivered last week.

The rules are:
Below £135 it’s mandatory to charge VAT and pay to HMRC in advance.

Above £135 is optional.

There difference is because of the import duty threshold of £135 (there isn’t any duty on IT kit so don’t worry about that). Above £135 it’s optional to pay it in advance or at the boarder. The EU have / are in the process of implementing the same rules going in the other direction, we had to go early because of Brexit.

Soldato
Anyone know what is going on with the Unifi Switch stock? I placed an order for a 16 port ages ago. I haven't seen them come in stock anywhere and used prices are crazy.

They have deliveries coming into Rotterdam every week and the biggest UK distributor gets a shipping container delivered monthly into Felixstowe. The challenge for them, as I understand it, is irrespective of what they ordered, they literally don‘t know what is in that container until they get the Manifest from HMRC at the container terminal. If that’s true it seems ludicrous but that’s how it seems to be.

And everyone is operating through middle-men so you never actually know who is delivering what. I ordered a case of switches from Latvia three weeks ago and they turned up on Friday from a Polish distributor who I previously believed to be a competitor. And Ubiquiti don’t help themselves by also selling direct from the Czech Republic.

Soldato
In theory, I have two US-16-150W switches and a USW-24-PoE Pro Gen2 but they are in Edinburgh and Lowestoft and I'm in Flint in North Wales. So not this week at the earliest.

Plenty of places have the USW-16-Lite in stock if you need one quickly.

Soldato
In theory, I have two US-16-150W switches and a USW-24-PoE Pro Gen2 but they are in Edinburgh and Lowestoft and I'm in Flint in North Wales. So not this week at the earliest.

Plenty of places have the USW-16-Lite in stock if you need one quickly.

I'm not in a rush, had a USW-16-POE on order for 6 months now.

Please give me a heads up if you do have one available.

Caporegime
Anyone using wifi 6 APs? Are they worth the extra expense?

Looking for something to provide good juice through thick walls, and whilst some of it will be cabled a couple of access points will be used. I need to cover a large house with ~100cm walls, ideally one AP upstairs and one downstairs in addition to ethernet.

Back
Top Bottom