• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD to unveil Zen 4 CPUs at CES 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
You can see why the casual buyer gets bamboozled. It's tricky to tease out the "truth" for people who follow it. I just advise people to decide on their usage first then buy what fits that best, applies to lots of other things too, helps narrow it all down a bit. I knew gaming was the most strenuous thing I would do, had AM4 already so went for the 5800X3D. People with mixed workloads or already on Intel would need to decide differently. It's great to have choices :)

Soldato
Linus says the 12900K beats the 5950X by a very small margin in short Blender tests like the one shown in AMD's demo (even though the 5950X wins in longer tests):

That 31% Zen 4 performance increase over the 12900K is hugely impressive then.

12900K has been availble since November 2021. It's soon to be replaced by 13900k, which may launch before Zen 4 does. Zen4 not even matching ST speeds of 12900k is disappointing, considering how much newer it is. It has little hope in ST or MT vs the 13900k.

Caporegime
12900K has been availble since November 2021. It's soon to be replaced by 13900k, which may launch before Zen 4 does. Zen4 not even matching ST speeds of 12900k is disappointing, considering how much newer it is. It has little hope in ST or MT vs the 13900k.

Your platform cost about £1500 and you can't even beat @Troezar platform in gaming costing half that....

Also, you're contributing more to global warming than a small country.

Soldato
Yes because the 12900K can't sustain the higher boost clocks for long, this is like a positive way of saying it draws too much power and gets too hot once the cooler is heat soaked, its Ryan Shrout level framing, Linus.
Yes, but it's impressive that Zen 4 is beating the 12900K by a massive 31% in the best case scenario for the 12900K.

Associate
Also we need benchmarks, because the 5800X3D has proved that single thread means nothing in the real world which is where it matters unless all you play is cinebench. 15% better IPC plus all the other architectural improvements may yet mean huge increases in performance.

Associate
I think this sums it up from MLID

https://youtu.be/xu6s1JWPdp0
some good points from comments to that video

1. Blender render time being 31% better means the CPU is actually 45% faster.
2. It doesn't add up that Zen4 that boosts to 5.5GHz in single core (eg 10% higher than 5950X) is only 15% faster. Whatever the IPC gain, could it be as low as 3-5%? So it had to be a differently clocked CPU in cinebench.

and from myself
Not a single gaming benchmark.
Either Zen4 is bad and doesn't even beat Alder Lake (unlikely, clock speed increase alone should do it) ... or it is too good and would kill potential 5800X3D sales.

Soldato
some good points from comments to that video

1. Blender render time being 31% better means the CPU is actually 45% faster.
2. It doesn't add up that Zen4 that boosts to 5.5GHz in single core (eg 10% higher than 5950X) is only 15% faster. Whatever the IPC gain, could it be as low as 3-5%? So it had to be a differently clocked CPU in cinebench.

and from myself
Not a single gaming benchmark.
Either Zen4 is bad and doesn't even beat Alder Lake (unlikely, clock speed increase alone should do it) ... or it is too good and would kill potential 5800X3D sales.
Yes, there are definitely some good business reasons not to show their hand too early. I'm just happy we have some good competition, after the 10 years of four core stagnation it is quite refreshing.

Soldato
Where are those RTX 3070TI equivalent Intel GPU's that you said would launch months ago?
Stuck in driver development hell, like he also said months ago. He's never changed his stance: Intel will release Alchemist when they feel the drivers are bang on, and every time a launch window is missed his sources have said it's because of the drivers.

Soldato
Oh come on this is straw clutching, he made some fairly wild predictions and he was wrong, so now AMD are sandbagging...

Where are those RTX 3070TI equivalent Intel GPU's that you said would launch months ago?
If they aren't sandbagging it will be popcorn time :D I'll be interested to see how he can spin his way out of that. Though as much as he can be a bit annoying I think he may be right, I just can't see Zen4 being as weak as some are expecting. I may also be wrong of course but it's not my job to be right ;)

Caporegime
If they aren't sandbagging it will be popcorn time :D I'll be interested to see how he can spin his way out of that. Though as much as he can be a bit annoying I think he may be right, I just can't see Zen4 being as weak as some are expecting. I may also be wrong of course but it's not my job to be right ;)

I think they are fine just as they are, a bit slower than RTL in Cinebench is not such a bad thing IMO, Intel are brute forcing it with cores 4X the size of Zen 3 and power levels 2X as high as Bulldozer, i would like to see Zen 4 beat RTL in every metric just to take pleasure from seeing Intel banging their heads against a wall but in reality it doesn't matter enough for AMD to go down the same road.

Caporegime
How long before we see gaming benchmarks?

Id like to know how much extra this would give me over my 3900X on MFS at 3440X1440. That’s literally my main interest

The best CPU right now for MFS is the 5800X3D, if you're heavily bottlenecked by your CPU now the gain you should see with the 5800X3D would be massive.

As for Zen 4, probably not until they get reviewed.

Soldato
The best CPU right now for MFS is the 5800X3D, if you're heavily bottlenecked by your CPU now the gain you should see with the 5800X3D would be massive.

As for Zen 4, probably not until they get reviewed.
It may turn out that the 5800X3D is better for gaming than Zen 4.

Caporegime
It may turn out that the 5800X3D is better for gaming than Zen 4.

It might, all round its very good with a few outliers like MFS and Star Citizen where it blows everything out of the water, that CPU is going to be a tough one to bring down.

On the other hand you would assume AMD aren't going to release such a thing not too long before a new generation if they thought that generation couldn't crack it.

Time will tell.

Caporegime
That looks an interesting option, particularly as it’s just a straight CPU swap. Doesn’t look like it matters that much for higher res though. I might be better off binning the new CPU idea and going for a 4000 series graphics card.

Caporegime
That was underwhelming isn't raptor lake releasing around the same time ? Feel it will be behind that

Platform looks good for like long term will probably wait what second release of zen4 CPU is

Then buy raptor lake if it is, you're not bound to one cpu or the other. :)

Soldato
That looks an interesting option, particularly as it’s just a straight CPU swap. Doesn’t look like it matters that much for higher res though. I might be better off binning the new CPU idea and going for a 4000 series graphics card.
Of course if the new GPUs are really that much faster the CPU will become more important again.

Associate
Oh come on this is straw clutching, he made some fairly wild predictions and he was wrong, so now AMD are sandbagging...

WHat exactly did i say about GPU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom