Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
I can see the argument for pistols for self defence and bolt action rifles for hunting.
What do they need semi auto, high capacity, rifles for?

Yeah it's mental,

I know a guy from Florida, who wouldn't move to California because of the rules around pistol grip stocks having to have a little gadget on them, which prevents you from gripping a rifle like a pistol, (it makes them horrible to shoot)

TAf75h4.jpg

I mean, you have to wrap your head around it - the guy wouldn't move house, because of how he has to hold his gun in California!

Caporegime
They successfully fought for their land against the British, that's the basis for the Second Amendment.

I said 'their own government.' Moreover, you're referring to a conflict in which the Americans enjoyed a home ground advantage, the military support of major European powers, and an adversary trying to fight a war thousands of kilometres away in the era before mechanised transport. It's not even vaguely comparable.

Most of the military are themselves pro-gun, they are less likely to shoot their own people, so no they wouldn't get obliterated in minutes.

Absolute nonsense. Soldiers do what they're told. History has consistently shown that American soldiers and police will employ lethal force against American civilians when ordered to do so.

Soldato
Simple, add another "amendment"

As Jim Jeffries said..

I understand that to Americans, your constitution is very important. I respect it, but please understand that every country has one as well. It’s no more special than any other constitution. We have one in Australia. I don’t know what it says. I’ve never seen it. If there’s a problem, we’ll check it, but everything’s going fine. And don’t get me wrong. I get that the constitution is important to you. I have had… *******, I get it, right? I’ve had people come up to me in my face and scream at me in car parks as I’m leaving the theater, going, [In American accent] “You cannot change the Second Amendment!” And I’m like, “Yes, you can. It’s called an ‘amendment.'” If you can’t change something that’s called an “amendment”, see, many of you need a thesaurus more than you need a constitution. And if you don’t know what a thesaurus is, get a dictionary and work your way forward. Don’t think your constitution is set in stone. You’ve changed things before. You used to have prohibition in there, right? And then people were like, “Hey, who likes getting ****ed up? Yeah, I like getting ****ed up, too. Let’s get that one out. Let’s get that one out.”

You used to have this other thing in America called, uh… slavery! And then Lincoln came along and went, “That’s it. No more slaves!” And 50% of you went, “**** you! Don’t take my slaves!” And the same bull**** arguments came out that you have with guns. “Why should I have my slaves taken off me? I’m a responsible slave owner. I’m trained in how to use my slaves safely. Just because that guy mistreated his slaves doesn’t mean that my rights should be taken away from me. I… I use my slaves to protect my family! I keep my slaves locked in a safe!”

Soldato
Yeah it's mental,

I know a guy from Florida, who wouldn't move to California because of the rules around pistol grip stocks having to have a little gadget on them, which prevents you from gripping a rifle like a pistol, (it makes them horrible to shoot)

I mean, you have to wrap your head around it - the guy wouldn't move house, because of how he has to hold his gun in California!
Ruger Mini-14, same rifle really but not black with a pistol grip. Banning pistol grips is rather pointless.

CglRKbB.jpg

Soldato
I can see the argument for pistols for self defence and bolt action rifles for hunting.
What do they need semi auto, high capacity, rifles for?

I mean, people hunt with AR-15's, why would you think they don't? For example wild pigs in America are a huge problem, people shoot them with AR-15's from helicopters because of the damage they do to farmland. America isn't just a big version of the UK.

Soldato
Ruger Mini-14, same rifle really but not black with a pistol grip. Banning pistol grips is rather pointless.

FYI - my post wasn't about whether or not banning pistol grips is useful or not, it was highlighting the mindset of the person who wouldn't move house to CA, because if he did he'd have to have fin-grips on his ARs. For me it highlights the frankly weird state of mind of Americans, in terms of where their priorities are.

Soldato
See this is why its BS, if there were not any semi auto high capacity types on the streets and only sold to people with a good reason such as mentioned above, we wouldn't keep getting people say " for self defence"
But they are on the streets...

FYI - my post wasn't about whether or not banning pistol grips is useful or not, it was highlighting the mindset of the person who wouldn't move house to CA, because if he did he'd have to have fin-grips on his ARs. For me it highlights the frankly weird state of mind of Americans, in terms of where their priorities are.
Yeah fair enough, although I suspect if he's pro Second Amendment there will no doubt be other laws (and high taxes and regs) in California that he wouldn't like.

Soldato
On the face of it, this post sounds a little crazy. But there has been some reasonable speculation that one of the reasons we (US in particular) had so many serial killers in the 70s is to do with the quantity of lead in the water and how this has the potential to inhibit normal reactions to impulses.

Let's be fair, it wouldn't be the first post of mine that's a little crazy..

Soldato
Self defence, even the Department of Homeland Security has agreed on this point.
Self defence from other people with semi autos?
I mean, people hunt with AR-15's, why would you think they don't? For example wild pigs in America are a huge problem, people shoot them with AR-15's from helicopters because of the damage they do to farmland. America isn't just a big version of the UK.
Wild boars are a problem in the forest of dean in the UK. You can hunt them with a bolt action.

Soldato
I said 'their own government.' Moreover, you're referring to a conflict in which the Americans enjoyed a home ground advantage, the military support of major European powers, and an adversary trying to fight a war thousands of kilometres away in the era before mechanised transport. It's not even vaguely comparable.

Absolute nonsense. Soldiers do what they're told. History has consistently shown that American soldiers and police will employ lethal force against American civilians when ordered to do so.

The British Government was the government of the 13 North American colonies when they declared independence and the War of Independence kicked off.

Soldato
Anyone that thinks firearms in the hands of anyone that wants one is some kind of 'check and balance' on the government is utterly deranged.

The constitution needs defending from the sorts of yee-haw gun-toting gravy seal chumps that Trump recruited to try and overthrow the democratic process.

Soldato
Self defence from other people with semi autos?

Wild boars are a problem in the forest of dean in the UK. You can hunt them with a bolt action.
Self defence from anyone, and a lot of firearms in the US are semi auto. If 4 people turn up for a home invasion with semi autos and you've got a bolt action, you're in trouble.

As for the forest, last time I was there I saw about 7 of them, would have been a lot easier to kill them with a semi auto rather than bolt action. Year after year the population explodes, the conclusion some in the US have made is that semi-autos are better for boar.

I know, but they could at least change the laws so future generations of nut cases could not purchase a certain type of weapon such as semi autos.

Seriously these sort of things should not need to be debated.
Everything is open to debate.

Deleted member 236143

D

Deleted member 236143

Fatal shooting by Albuquerque Police Department -- Aug. 22, 2019
Albuquerque Journal on Youtube

Instead of posting the video as it shows a man basically being executed.
That vid for me sums up America and its guns. The country is gripped in a culture of fear so much so the cops themselves are terrified of being shot so are exceptionally aggressive.
I would not even visit America as a tourist.

Soldato
Self defence from anyone, and a lot of firearms in the US are semi auto. If 4 people turn up for a home invasion with semi autos and you've got a bolt action, you're in trouble.

To be honest, if you're alone and you're not somebody highly trained like a solider or somebody with significant, recent, armed forces experience and 4x people turn up armed with semi-automatic rifles to do you over, you're utterly screwed - no gun is going to save you - you'll most likely freeze up on the spot and wet your pants.

Soldato
Last report I saw says 18 kids dead, 1 teacher. Someone said he shot his grand mother after argument about failing to graduate and drove off, crashed his car. Then starting trying to get into the elementary school and killing little kids.

Even the reporter said "I have covered way too many of these things" [school shootings].

My perspective. Being from the UK. I have no issue with guns except they make it too easy for people to do fast harm. I actually believe that America should keep and defend the right to bear arms, however, this has got insane. Something has to change. It won't be quick as so many guns out there, but good lord. So many deaths now.

Soldato
Fatal shooting by Albuquerque Police Department -- Aug. 22, 2019
Albuquerque Journal on Youtube

Instead of posting the video as it shows a man basically being executed.
That vid for me sums up America and its guns. The country is gripped in a culture of fear so much so the cops themselves are terrified of being shot so are exceptionally aggressive.
I would not even visit America as a tourist.

You are missing out.

Back
Top Bottom