Today's mass shooting in the US

Soldato
How many times does it have to be repeated to those with "thick skulls" that the majority of discussion on here and in America, is talking about increasing gun ownership controls, not banning them entirely, something the majority of Americans themselves agree with. It's only the minority in America that don't want any further restrictions.

“…shall not be infringed.”

Edit - Oh, what’s your source for the claim only the minority don’t want any further restrictions?

Last edited:
Soldato
“…shall not be infringed.”
Yes?

That absolutist stance doesn't really apply though does it, as there are already restrictions in place to gun ownership. What is being discussed is what further restriction should be implemented, something that polling shows the majority of Americans want to happen.

Soldato
Edit - Oh, what’s your source for the claim only the minority don’t want any further restrictions?
You can just google it to find polls over years showing a majority support for tighter gun controls

Here's one from today

Here's one that shows historical trends

Soldato
Amendments are set in US constitution, you can't change them........ apart from the times that they did

I mean the 2nd amendment was in place 2 years after the original document, the first 10 amendments were made almost right away, they're considered sacred rights afforded to US citizens. You're trying to ignore that as if the document doesn't mean anything.

Yep, otherwise it would still be legal to keep slaves and to deny women the right to vote.

Those 2 amendments extend rights to people, they don't remove existing rights.

Soldato
Got to put it in context, a deluded teen kills 21 in Texas. A deluded pensioner kills tens of thousands in Ukraine from his bunker in Russia.
America needs to tighten gun ownership rules, the world needs rid of Putin.

Soldato
But many states already have gun ownership controls, so how do you reconcile that?

Those controls are unconstitutional. They have been challenged in court a few times. However, when the state courts / court of appeals reject the challenges the Supreme Court are not picking them up to make a final judgement. I’m not quite sure why.

Examples of these unconstitutional restrictions are the magazine capacity laws in California and the denial of concealed carry licenses in NYC.

Just to be clear I’m putting forth the argument that pro-gun people in the US would. Not saying if it’s right or wrong.

Soldato
Easy might be somewhat relative but many people have around their household the materials to create a crude but deadly improvised explosive device and the instructions aren't hard to find albeit I'm not going to go into details for obvious reasons. Some of the older generations may even have acquired the knowledge at school either in lessons or from certain "cook books".

I'm not disputing that some people have the skills and that materials exist for constructing simple devices, albeit less effective ones.

I stand by my point that, without access to explosives or firearms, the ability to spree kill is reduced hugely.

Soldato
You can just google it to find polls over years showing a majority support for tighter gun controls

Here's one from today

Here's one that shows historical trends

Cheers. I do think one of the only practical ways to move this forward would be to have a referendum of some kind and if the majority do want restrictions then that gives the House and Senate the mandate to implement change.

Caporegime
Referendums are advisory and can be ignored and while gun manufacturers and the NRA lobby and fund Republican senators and congressmen nothing will change. The only real way to change it is vote for more Democrats.

Soldato
Cheers. I do think one of the only practical ways to move this forward would be to have a referendum of some kind and if the majority do want restrictions then that gives the House and Senate the mandate to implement change.
I think this unfortunately circles back to the money and influence problem again that the lobbyists have over the senators, especially seemingly Republican ones though not exclusively ofc.

Soldato
Referendums are advisory and can be ignored and while gun manufacturers and the NRA lobby and fund Republican senators and congressmen nothing will change. The only real way to change it is vote for more Democrats.

The NRA spent about 50x less money lobbying than the Pharmaceutical industry and wayyy less then Technology companies, they have relatively small amounts of money. I'm sure you did your research on that though before you posted more misinformation.

Back
Top Bottom