• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Soldato
It's all to do with the bus width, the 3060 being 192 bit bus only had the option of 6 or 12gb, IMO nvidia should have just used a 256bit bus like the 3060ti and went with 8gb as that is fine for 1080p and the extra bandwith would have gave it some extra fps.

The 3080 gets 10 and 12gb now, nvidia probably went with 10gb intitially to give it some product segmentation from the impending ti which is already very close in terms of performance.
Makes sense except why can they go from 10 to 12 for the 3080 and not have to double it like the 3060?

Soldato
So do they double down and try to get back that lost revenue with higher prices? Wouldn't surprise me.

Associate
So do they double down and try to get back that lost revenue with higher prices? Wouldn't surprise me.
The more they raise prices of new cards the more tempted people will be to buy 2nd hand ex mining cards. They have to find a balance, but new cards will go up in price with inflation anyway. You cannot blame TSMC for holding firm as they are already building new production capacity to cover the orders that they received. Nvidia and AMD knew that gpu sales would slow down when mining crashed again. Wonder if Nvidia can sell any of its excess capacity to Intel for their Battlemage gpu lol

Soldato
Makes sense except why can they go from 10 to 12 for the 3080 and not have to double it like the 3060?
Because they just changed the bus speed on the 12gb version to the the same 384 bit that was already in use for the 3080ti/3090.

They could have and probably should have just used a 256 on the 3060 and then went with 8gb.

Soldato
Because they just changed the bus speed on the 12gb version to the the same 384 bit that was already in use for the 3080ti/3090.

They could have and probably should have just used a 256 on the 3060 and then went with 8gb.
Ah ok, I was assuming they were the same, makes total sense now cheers.

Soldato

For something like this volume beats trying to eek out margin. They genuinely must think they can't sell as many even at low margins. Given how big these hards are going to be, not surprised.

koh

koh

Associate
On reading I began to flood crocodile tears. They shafted gamers to feed a mining frenzy so let them suffer the consequences if we will not open our wallets to overpay for GPUs when they need gamers again.

Soldato
^ we are still waiting for this flood. So far all I would describe it as is a small stream at best! Crypto has been in decline since December.
Most of the large corporate farms are in the Far East where energy is still cheap, the cards going now are the small time uk based hobbyist miners unloading.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Most of the large corporate farms are in the Far East where energy is still cheap, the cards going now are the small time uk based hobbyist miners unloading.

When I refer to crypto miners and UK gpu sales/availability it means the local region. Same goes for posting on OcUK. Its a UK based thing. So nobody cares if loads of cards are on sale in Indonesia as you wont be buying them. I am talking about UK cards selling to UK people. I see no evidence of a flood. It was all overhyped, not as many UK miners as people thought there were.

Soldato
When I refer to crypto miners and UK gpu sales/availability it means the local region. Same goes for posting on OcUK. Its a UK based thing. So nobody cares if loads of cards are on sale in Indonesia as you wont be buying them. I am talking about UK cards selling to UK people. I see no evidence of a flood. It was all overhyped, not as many UK miners as people thought there were.
These companies won't be directly selling a few here and there on auction sites they will be selling them by the pallet load to people who will ship them to the west to resell on auction sites for a profit.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Whatever you think that's fine, but UK people complaining of miners or the folk that drummed the beat about a massive flood will hit the market has not prevailed. Yeah people are selling cards and you do get a guy here and there selling multiple blatant mining cards but depends on what you determine as a flood. The way it was lambasted you would think there were hundreds of miners all selling their 50+ cards and the bay couldnt cope with the listings! :cry:

In Asia, probably different story.

Associate
These 3060Ti's that are coming and going (new) at MSRP are getting a bit tempting what with my 290x having conked out back in December, but it still feels odd spending near enough £400 on a mid range (or is that low end?) card which is about to be "last generation" and only has 8gb VRAM for 1440p. I'd be more tempted on a 6700xt at that price, new, with the extra RAM given it has the same performance, but that's utterly not happening.

Used cards are becoming more available but it's hardly a flood at bargain basement pricing for warranty-less cards.

Back
Top Bottom