What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Just thought I'd be a top bloke and clean the sash windows. Top sash collapsed :(. FML.

Bodged it with 2 screws but now need to source and fit 2 new spiral balancers. Not a problem but I've never done a top only a bottom. Fingers crossed it's easy enough. Annoying as we have sold the place and surveyor was coming last week but I ended up in hospital.

Bit late, but title of your sex tape?

Associate
Latest job was this, opening up some inaccessible loft space, with the added bonus of beefing up the insulation. Just need a structural engineer to say if I can remove a couple of uprights, i want to put a clothes rail and use the area for storage, no big deal if any uprights can't come out. I'll work around them.
11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Soldato
Glass outdoor tables make rubbish workbenches

Dropped a drill bit from about 6" which caused the entire top to shatter :(

7g9LO8o.png
That has to be the Darwin award of the year.

My new 115mm circular saw blade came today that fit's angle grinder - Makes short work of cutting thin bits of scrap wood. (when you put it on the right way) :eek:

Soldato
Latest job was this, opening up some inaccessible loft space, with the added bonus of beefing up the insulation. Just need a structural engineer to say if I can remove a couple of uprights, i want to put a clothes rail and use the area for storage, no big deal if any uprights can't come out. I'll work around them.
11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Funny, we have just started pretty much the exact same thing!

Down to the textured paper on the current plaster board to the same old dingy yellowish insulation.

Only difference being we are not intending on moving any of the supporting wood.

Yours is looking good so far, will be lovely when its all done.

Quick question, did you remove the old insulation? Or just plop the new stuff on top?

Associate
Funny, we have just started pretty much the exact same thing!

Down to the textured paper on the current plaster board to the same old dingy yellowish insulation.

Only difference being we are not intending on moving any of the supporting wood.

Yours is looking good so far, will be lovely when its all done.

Quick question, did you remove the old insulation? Or just plop the new stuff on top?

That 70s/80s style :D

I put 2 layers of new insulation (100mm each) on top of the old itchy and scratchy stuff.

Soldato
I've had a yukka style plant for 15 years. It has been kept in the same pot (circa 20cm width) since I got it but it's grown to the unwieldy size of over 6ft in height with 4 branches from the singular trunk and lost a lot of bottom leaves as they do.

It's been with me for a long time and through house moves...

So with great trepidation, I performed some major surgery on it.

I cut each branch around 5 inches from where the brown trunk ends and the green starts at the top and planted them into pots and then took about 3 feet off the remaining branches to leave them around 6-8 inches from the main trunk.

I am hoping that the tops will re-root and start growing again and, perhaps, I'll get new growth from the stumps on the main trunk

To say I winced a little as I made the first cut is an understatement :o:o

I'll know in around 4 weeks if it's successful or I've just butchered it

Needed before and after pics!

So I didn't have before pics but here is what they looked like after:

PXL-20220629-210621036.jpg

PXL-20220629-210632739.jpg

PXL-20220629-210637385.jpg

If you look at the "stump" in the blue pot, each of the small plants in the brown pots used to be at the top of the 4 branches (1 each) but those branches were about 4 feet taller than they currently are :eek: :o i.e. I cut the tops off each branch and potted them then removed about 3-4 feet off each branch that was left (no leaves on those parts).

So this was about 2½ weeks ago. I kept the soil moist and misted the leaves twice a day to get water into the plants as, with no roots, they had to take water in through the leaves. Some.of the leaves are dying off as was to be expected.

Relieved to say it may have worked as I see what appear to be the start of some white roots appearing in the drain holes and also at the top of the pots.

PXL-20220629-213405269.jpg

PXL-20220629-213417539.jpg

PXL-20220629-213439876.jpg

Another week or 2 should hopefully see more as the roots develop and then I can repot in a couple of months and tidy up the foliage (remove dead leaves).

Not sure if I'll get anything from the stump but it's a little early yet

Potentially a bit premature but I am pretty happy it appears to have worked as it was quite a big hack job on a plant I have had for nearly 2 decades and through house moves.

Soldato
In preparation of a log delivery tomorrow I've tidied up the side of the house. Will allow him to drive the pickup up to the main store and tip it Infront.

Before

IMG-20220701-092834.jpg

So much crud under the store

IMG-20220701-094430.jpg

Luckily the bottom shelf lifts up, so has a good sweep out too

IMG-20220701-095330.jpg

And done, all ready for delivery tomorrow :

IMG-20220701-095649.jpg

Didn't take long but I have COVID at the moment and it wiped me out !

Soldato
I never let mine get empty.

Wife said yesterday shall we get another load of logs -Me -Where will we put it?? -We have 5 log store's full.!

I am tempted though - could stack them up wall under computer room window - our eves overhang a lot and could sheet it up.

What with collecting logs and throwing odd £50 into our account at heating oil company you would think we are in for hard times.

Man job today was going up tip with loads of trugs full of waste garden material that wife has produced.

It never ends does it and to start the day I had a massive nose bleed -last one saw me in A&E for 4 hours. Lucky this one lasted 45 min.

Soldato
So started thinking I'd do a bit of stacking

I usually fill the bottom section of this store with one load (double rows) I started stacking treble rows and going for getting as much in rather than aesthetics

IMG-20220702-162854-01.jpg

Treble rowed the bottom, crammed it on literally every square inch in the top section which is surprising spacious ...

IMG-20220702-165341-01.jpg

Rammed

IMG-20220702-165335-01.jpg

Then also filled almost half the second store

IMG-20220702-164552-01.jpg

And have two sizeable baskets full of odd pieces and nice chunks / slices to make into hardwood kindling

IMG-20220702-164719-01.jpg

Soldato
Taping fillering and sanding an existing bedroom prior to painting.

There was a lot of hairline cracks but rather than skim the ceiling, this seemed pretty good.

Initially I was just going to do the ceiling but thought I'd do the bay too. Previously had no scrim tape in the joints thus the cracks.

eFHHb0E.jpeg

F1aid30.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/KghFiIB.mp4

Last edited:
Soldato
Cut the grass

IMG-20220703-171250.jpg

Weeded the middle patio / terrace area

IMG-20220703-171223.jpg

Then although not ours (it's local authority owned and maintained ....) The grass on the verge as you pull out of our drive onto the road was over head height and badly obscuring the view up the road (traffic coming down the hill). It's not a busy road, but needed sorting

Strimmed about 1/2 of the verge adjoining our house, which made a real difference. But then ended up scaping about 6 barrow loads of weeds and soil from the verge / road kerb line. Tough in this heat (and at the back end of a.week with COVID). The rest will have to wait for another day

IMG-20220703-170546.jpg

IMG-20220703-170555.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom