What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
Put up some lights over our dining table, which involved moving the electric supply over 40cm or so. Was a royal PITA, slap fingers for not using a maintenance free choc block but I'm pleased with the result.

Soldato
En-suite sink wasn't draining so removed the trap I cleaned out last year. Not much in there. Shone the phone flashlight up and had a look at the underside of the sink and this slime and black gunk was clinging to the pipe.

A fairly grim few minutes followed while I used wooden skewers to remove/fling said matter from the fitting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cleaned out the chickens

Cut the grass

IMG-20220612-095156-01.jpg

Off to have a brew then going to fit a set of roof bars to the Mrs' motor

Soldato
We've been painting and decorating the spare bedroom this weekend. The standard of the previous work was, as in the rest of the house, poor.

Obviously some handyman has done the plaster poorly and just painted on top without getting rid of trowel marks or applying a mist coat.

It's not quite as bad as the bedroom I did last year, which we got skimmed in the end, but it's close and this might be a waste of time if it looks as bad as I think it's going to when we finish.

Soldato
I've had a yukka style plant for 15 years. It has been kept in the same pot (circa 20cm width) since I got it but it's grown to the unwieldy size of over 6ft in height with 4 branches from the singular trunk and lost a lot of bottom leaves as they do.

It's been with me for a long time and through house moves...

So with great trepidation, I performed some major surgery on it.

I cut each branch around 5 inches from where the brown trunk ends and the green starts at the top and planted them into pots and then took about 3 feet off the remaining branches to leave them around 6-8 inches from the main trunk.

I am hoping that the tops will re-root and start growing again and, perhaps, I'll get new growth from the stumps on the main trunk

To say I winced a little as I made the first cut is an understatement :o:o

I'll know in around 4 weeks if it's successful or I've just butchered it

Soldato
Just thought I'd be a top bloke and clean the sash windows. Top sash collapsed :(. FML.

Bodged it with 2 screws but now need to source and fit 2 new spiral balancers. Not a problem but I've never done a top only a bottom. Fingers crossed it's easy enough. Annoying as we have sold the place and surveyor was coming last week but I ended up in hospital.

Soldato
My man job today was discussing painting my sons room with the mrs. All we want is 2 colours from dulex, one called salsa red (quite bright) and striking cyan (again quite in your face). I'm struggling to get decent prices for either if them, most places seem to be at least 25 quid for 2.5l, sone charge 30+. Am I just a bit out of touch with paint costs? I did find somewhere cheaper, who I might go with but I've not heard of the website before.

Caporegime
I've had a yukka style plant for 15 years. It has been kept in the same pot (circa 20cm width) since I got it but it's grown to the unwieldy size of over 6ft in height with 4 branches from the singular trunk and lost a lot of bottom leaves as they do.

It's been with me for a long time and through house moves...

So with great trepidation, I performed some major surgery on it.

I cut each branch around 5 inches from where the brown trunk ends and the green starts at the top and planted them into pots and then took about 3 feet off the remaining branches to leave them around 6-8 inches from the main trunk.

I am hoping that the tops will re-root and start growing again and, perhaps, I'll get new growth from the stumps on the main trunk

To say I winced a little as I made the first cut is an understatement :o:o

I'll know in around 4 weeks if it's successful or I've just butchered it

Needed before and after pics!

Back
Top Bottom