What "man jobs" have you done today?

Soldato
I've been clearing out and doing prep in the cupboard under the stairs to decorate. It used to have a floor standing boiler in it so it's a bit of a mess. Even though it's a cupboard which will have coats hanging up in it, I wish I could get it plastered, but it should look ok with a couple of coats of paint which I will do this week. After it's painted I will install some new coat racks and put up my small wall mounted cabinet to hold a patch panel and switch. It will need a shelf as well to store a few bits and bobs.

Today I cut the grass early so I didn't get too hot and cut a branch off our tree overhanging our neighbours garden which was getting a bit too big. For the rest of it I played in the paddling pool with my daughter :D

Soldato
Long and deep watering every few days is better in the long run as it encourages the grass roots to go deeper for water making it more drought tolerant in the future.

If you do frequent short watering (effectively only wetting the top inch or so of soil) then the grass roots will also be shallow as that's where it finds the water.

Also letting it grow longer than normal will shade the soil reducing evaporation of the water in the soil.

Man of Honour
Well, the funny thing was it was done on probably the hottest day of the year so you could see no wet areas within 24 hours. In my defence the priority was my Daughter's bedroom which I did do in a timely manner :)
Ah, I was looking at random houses to see what we can get for our money in other areas of the UK and it saw one similar to yours.

Man of Honour
Tidying the garden for visitors tomorrow - ironically they’re celebrating me, but it’s my job to sort the garden :p. It was a bit warm cutting the grass! Dusty as hell too. We’ve got the only semi green lawn in sight :)

Soldato
Having good ideas in this weather only brings grief.

I have a small 5 bar gate style fence around my trailer and thought it would be a good idea to go and paint it black (its green)

STUPID BOY. It's too bloody hot.:o

Soldato
Was "asked" to take down some saplings and spiky shrubs as they were too high for the border and thus blocking the sun where the Mrs and eldest daughter were sunbathing

Before

IMG-20220716-133832.jpg

After

IMG-20220716-135145.jpg

Dragged them all to the side of the house to scavenge anything worth keeping

IMG-20220716-135641.jpg

Half decent amount which will get burnt at some point when dried out

IMG-20220716-144145.jpg

Soldato
A couple of you may remember the yukka massacre about 5 weeks ago where I cut my 15 year old large plant (it stood 6 feet from floor to tip).

You can see the images in this post earlier in the thread (don't want to have tons of images so didn't quite them):

Cuttings Rooting (initial post quoted there as well)

Well the cuttings seem to be doing well (will leave them for a few more weeks to hopefully build more roots before lifting them out) but I was worried about the stump which started out like this:

PXL-20220612-121622608-2.jpg

Then I noticed this last night on 2 of the stalks:

ITS ALIIIIVE :eek::D

2 new growths (front and left side)with 3rd poking out the back on this branch:

PXL-20220715-191307407.jpg

Bigger single growth on this branch:

PXL-20220715-191244994.jpg

It looks like I haven't killed this off yet, despite my best efforts, and it'll regrow... Resilient little bugger :cry:

Nothing yet out the other 2 branches but who knows...

Soldato
Good work! Done a.few of them and they're a right PITA !
Did the curtains pull OK on the passing brackets/passing hooks? I've got to add another two brackets outside of the centre but the ones they sent weren't fabricated properly (depth adjustment didn't work)

Certainly looks better than those awful bent rails.

Back
Top Bottom