This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Permabanned
That doesn't really have anything to do with the unit price though. Yes, you are quite right to complain about the standing charge, but ultimately that is just a very small fraction of most people's bills.
Yes you are right but that’s not the point. It’s still my money I have no problem helping out the needy, I have no problem excepting we have issues in Ukraine which has brought about certain phenomena. Those that are ultimately responsible be it, the top brass at the failed businesses or ofgem have they been financially penalised for this? I want all of their dividends and bonuses recouped and put towards the bill. I want those that already have more than enough to suffer like the rest of us are going to be.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't quite understand why we had to foot the bill for it.

They were private business's, if a shop goes out of business, it doesn't cost us anything, if a bus station went out of business, it wouldn't cost us anything. Why should these privately run energy business's cost us.

The customers with those bust companies had credit balances, to the tune of £1.8bn. So it’s completely different to your examples.
should we be paying - probably not, but it needs to come from somewhere.

Basically, Ofgem messed up by giving Supplier Licenses to anyone, not ensuring they enough financial backing and allowing them to use next day prices to operate their business.

Soldato
Yes you are right but that’s not the point. It’s still my money I have no problem helping out the needy, I have no problem excepting we have issues in Ukraine which has brought about certain phenomena. Those that are ultimately responsible be it, the top brass at the failed businesses or ofgem have been financially penalised for this? I want all of their dividends and bonuses recouped and put towards the bill. I want those that already have more than enough to suffer like the rest of us are going to be.

Well, technically we are all (well, above a certain age) responsible for it for repeatedly voting in governments who haven't put the necessary policies in place. ;)

Permabanned
Well, technically we are all (well, above a certain age) responsible for it for repeatedly voting in governments who haven't put the necessary policies in place. ;)
If you voted you mean :p. Do you not think this is wrong. Those that get paid enormous sums at the top of these institutions never face any kind of financial penalties like we repeatedly have to accept.

Soldato
If you voted you mean :p. Do you not think this is wrong. Those that get paid enormous sums at the top of these institutions never face any kind of financial penalties like we repeatedly have to accept.

If you could have voted and didn't then that's just as bad to be honest!

Yes it is wrong, but sadly that is the capitalist society we live in, and it's going to take a huge population wide attitude shift to change that - I'm not sure something as "trivial" as high energy prices are enough to trigger it.

Permabanned
If you could have voted and didn't then that's just as bad to be honest!
It’s not but that’s a different conversation.

It’s part of the reason I don’t vote none of them offer anything I like. None of them deliver upon what they say. None of them have any substance. But again that’s a different conversation.

Soldato
There is no accountability. The people in charge of these things earn their couple hundred k a year, take their golden handshake pension having never really achieved anything.

Soldato
The customers with those bust companies had credit balances, to the tune of £1.8bn. So it’s completely different to your examples.
should we be paying - probably not, but it needs to come from somewhere.

Basically, Ofgem messed up by giving Supplier Licenses to anyone, not ensuring they enough financial backing and allowing them to use next day prices to operate their business.

It wasn't lost credit balances we are financing ... at root, they couldn't afford the energy, supposedly some lack of hedging ...
as to why the last men standing have survived, this can still be through better relationships with their parent companies to provide the energy, even at a loss compared to wholesale rates, if shell energy uk says we can't afford 30pKw/h, shell PLC can say OK we'll sell it to you at 20pKW/h and just put the price up for the other customers on this limited resource,
a short term 'loss' on the shell trading organisation, to keep shell energy at the table, for future profit. - machiavellian.

and Octopus is bidding on bulb to re-enforce it's position at the table.

eg. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...ponsible-bulb-left-taxpayers-2bn-energy-bill/

Caporegime
It doesn't have to be. Ive used water as the example before so I'll do it again.

We extract our own water and we supply it to our own people at regulated prices.

Why cant we make our own energy and sell it to our own people at regulated prices?

Yes but if water cost 10x as much to extract, then treat and distribute, that's what it would cost. And we'd have to pay it.

The water companies still make profit

Soldato
Yes but if water cost 10x as much to extract, then treat and distribute, that's what it would cost. And we'd have to pay it.

The water companies still make profit
It's not a traded product subject to the whims of global speculators.

Energy is traded. But doesnt have to be. We could just look after our own people with our own energy, couldn't we?

Costs wouldn't go through wild swings if we had our own stable supply for our own people. And companies can still make a reasonable profit on that.

Last edited:
Soldato
It’s challenging to keep up with the price cap update in October - Ofgem have tweaked the calculation, which makes it more expensive !!

The latest is :
- Gas prices to rise 94%
- Electricity prices to rise 71%

Meaning the average bill is expected to be £3,687 in October, £4,400 from January and £4,700 from April :eek:

Source :

52266926058_89258000d1_c.jpg

Do you have a direct link for this please out of interest? Seeing loads of people quote them on twitter or in news articles but no-one directly linking them

Soldato

Energy is traded. But doesnt have to be. We could just look after our own people with our own energy, couldn't we?

Costs wouldn't go through wild swings if we had our own stable supply for our own people. And companies can still make a reasonable profit on that.

Except we dont produce enough gas or elec to isolate ourselves and we cant rely on wind for electric because the generation varies so much.

Soldato
Except we dont produce enough gas or elec to isolate ourselves and we cant rely on wind for electric because the generation varies so much.
Nuclear would have been the answer.

Yeah I know it's all hindsight but the point is that well paid people were meant to be in charge of this stuff. What have they done other than create this mess?

Soldato

It's a political choice. It's worked for decades but it's coming home to roost now.

So we use our own gas/wind/nuclear and buy the remainder on the market instead of paying gas prices for everything.

Soldato
It’s challenging to keep up with the price cap update in October - Ofgem have tweaked the calculation, which makes it more expensive !!

The latest is :
- Gas prices to rise 94%
- Electricity prices to rise 71%

Meaning the average bill is expected to be £3,687 in October, £4,400 from January and £4,700 from April :eek:

Source :

52266926058_89258000d1_c.jpg
Forecasts through to the end of next year show the numbers will continue to be high

Soldato
Yeah I've seen those forcasts, and they are basically suggesting energy prices won't be back around the 1000-1200 mark until well beyond 2023, possibly even 2025 if at all. That would be catastrophic without intervention for a bulk of society.

At that rate and with inflation potentially hitting 15% this year, you'd need £25k just to afford the basic necessities, let alone have any form of comfort. Full time at the current NMW doesn't even come close to being enough.

Soldato
So we use our own gas/wind/nuclear and buy the remainder on the market instead of paying gas prices for everything.
this is exactly right. even if we pay a relative fortune for the extra, it is bonkers that the renewables we cover ourselves cost is dictated by what we need to import. this way also would encourage everyone to build infrastructure to generate their own

Back
Top Bottom