This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
If these prices (and they easily could) hit 4k+ and continue.. Bleak times ahead.
It will send Europe back in time.

People will die in droves as job losses mount as no one has any money. You can't just magic that amount of money up.

Could be biggest change in standard of living in modern times

We should have been building nuclear for years. Many have said it. We can't use the 'in hindsight now we know" card on this one. We didn't do it as we are all short sighted and only think of what's cheap now.

I still pedal it. But if they had given that 100bln for hs2 as energy saving grants pushed across all UK housing things wouldn't be half as bad now.

Crank that to 200bln and everyone could have an 8k grant

Soldato
HS2 was yet another London centric nonsense waste of money, saving 30 mins or what ever on a trip to London when that money could have improved the infrastructure country wide. I don't think it would ever have been used for energy saving grants (tho it would have been great if they did) but our entire rail network could do with improving.... not just a jaunt to London

Soldato
HS2 was yet another London centric nonsense waste of money, saving 30 mins or what ever on a trip to London when that money could have improved the infrastructure country wide. I don't think it would ever have been used for energy saving grants (tho it would have been great if they did) but our entire rail network could do with improving.... not just a jaunt to London
Who even likes going to London?!?

Soldato
Well then what's the point in even discussing battery systems? Its only worth it if we get the 7.5p overnight rate.
Agile was the type of tariff for this stuff, but Agile isnt subsidised by car manufacturers (and maybe also government) like GO is so its fallen victim to the crazy market and now is basically an alternative capped tariff (which on occasion, usually Sundays might have slightly lower prices).

Economy 7 is still a thing but i think the off peak rates are a joke, its barely worth using.

If you know a friend with an EV, you might be able to use their documentation to get on GO?

Soldato
It’s challenging to keep up with the price cap update in October - Ofgem have tweaked the calculation, which makes it more expensive !!

The latest is :
- Gas prices to rise 94%
- Electricity prices to rise 71%

Meaning the average bill is expected to be £3,687 in October, £4,400 from January and £4,700 from April :eek:

Source :

52266926058_89258000d1_c.jpg
Thats mental, seems Ofgem really have little concern for consumers right now and just prioritising on recovering money and keeping the suppliers happy, I expect their mandate remains to keep as many suppliers in the market as possible.

This recent announcement suggests the SC is going up at least for either Gas or Electric (possibly both), the quicker costs recovery indicates that, previous Cornwall predictions assumed the SC was staying the same with all the rises on unit prices.

This means the new nerfed Octopus gas tracker is possibly now an ok'ish deal for light gas users, it keeps the current SC and the 16p cap should be not far off the SVR. Although I would wait until the full details are announced, Octopus are unlikely to expire it so soon after its been introduced.

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Agile was the type of tariff for this stuff, but Agile isnt subsidised by car manufacturers (and maybe also government) like GO is so its fallen victim to the crazy market and now is basically an alternative capped tariff (which on occasion, usually Sundays might have slightly lower prices).

Economy 7 is still a thing but i think the off peak rates are a joke, its barely worth using.

Correct. This is what I found before these recent hikes. I was on a two rate meter then the supplier at the time offered a flat single rate at 14p which at the time was reasonable. Since then I have had four price hikes and when looking at two rate tariffs the cheapest one is double what the ones before it used to offer. Throw in the standing charge hikes and the other stealth fees its (at least where I am) not really worth considering the cheap rate unless something is changed about it.

Soldato
I don't quite understand why we had to foot the bill for it.

They were private business's, if a shop goes out of business, it doesn't cost us anything, if a bus station went out of business, it wouldn't cost us anything. Why should these privately run energy business's cost us.
People in credit would have lost their credit balances, this would have led to everyone hogging the big name companies for safety which goes against the ideology of having more supplier competition.

However Ofgem have now claimed they are going to insure credit balances to prevent the same thing happening in future.

Soldato

It's even worse now that post-covid there's a lot more WFH and video meetings etc. I would imagine the "need"/demand for something like HS2 has probably plummeted. I dread to think how many decades (if ever) it will take to pay for itself :(

Soldato
We should have had govt owned wind farms and sold the energy cheaply back to us. Instead we pay gas prices for wind power.
Yep the government needs to move on from paying private companies to build infrastructure and instead build it themselves owned by the government.

Caporegime
It's even worse now that post-covid there's a lot more WFH and video meetings etc. I would imagine the "need"/demand for something like HS2 has probably plummeted. I dread to think how many decades (if ever) it will take to pay for itself :(

Doubt it ever will. Criminal waste of money.

That's what I blame the government most for. Money wastage. Think how much better life could be if only half money wasted was put to good use.

Soldato
Yep the government needs to move on from paying private companies to build infrastructure and instead build it themselves owned by the government.
People often compare this to the nationalised 70s but things were vastly different then, computers, internet, technology etc. Back then governments were held to ransom by people and labour but that wouldn't be the case now.

I don't think a government run organisation is best but regulated private companies like the water sector.

That would be a much easier transition from where we are now. Nationalising things is hard but regulating existing private companies should be much easier.

Soldato
Well, looks like Truss won't be giving any more help if she gets the job. It's going to be very grim for a lot of people.
It would be much better if they raised minimum wage and increased benefits as that would help those most at need but it's the Tory way to help those least at need

Soldato
It would be much better if they raised minimum wage and increased benefits as that would help those most at need but it's the Tory way to help those least at need
But that puts the emphasis on the employer to get the government out of the mess they've created.

They need to get hold of the standing charge of they really want to help the people.

Soldato
The standing charge isn't going to make much difference, its 50p a day where I am, that's 15 quid a month, insignificant in comparison to the cost of energy, specially over the winter months.

Roughly 23% of my current monthly bill, but come october/january where the unit rate will more than double and heating will be in use, it'll be 5% or so if that. Probably an even greater saving to be made if they just scrapped VAT on electricity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom