World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Soldato
My new one seems fine but fan noise seems more audible than my last one, which I couldn't really hear on previous one. Can't always hear on new one.

My options are basically to keep old one with dead pixel in middle of the screen, or keep the new one which doesn't have any dead pixels but has a more audible fan.

Given my cost to buy the screen was reasonable, and I don't think I would get a chance to get another replacement (may also have same issue) I'm probably going to just keep the one with the noisier fan and no dead pixels.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Yea my new one seems fine pixel wise, but the fan does seem more audible than the previous. Given it's still not more audible than my desktop next (only under load whilst I have headphones on playing a game) to it I'm happy to keep it over getting a refund or a massive dead pixel area!

Soldato
Need to test with the fan noise some more, recent hotter weather probably feeds into it a bit, PC isn't silent so I can't usually hear it over that.

Could be more down to how long it's been on for as well.

I only paid £650~ I think so refunding isn't a great plan, as I'd have to buy something else and spend a load more.

Think I can live with the fan noise given price paid and alternative options.

Associate
Weirdly enough, I just got my Dell QD OLED monitors, only opened one so far and am not totally blown away by them. Colours feel a little bit muted which is odd... Only using HDMI ( 8 bit / 3440 x 1440 @ 100hz ). Got a USB C to displayport cable coming tomorrow so hopefully that will be a little better...

Soldato
Need to test with the fan noise some more, recent hotter weather probably feeds into it a bit, PC isn't silent so I can't usually hear it over that.

Could be more down to how long it's been on for as well.

I only paid £650~ I think so refunding isn't a great plan, as I'd have to buy something else and spend a load more.

Think I can live with the fan noise given price paid and alternative options.

Yeah, that's about what I paid for mine, so as you say any replacement is going to be significantly more :(

Caporegime
Weirdly enough, I just got my Dell QD OLED monitors, only opened one so far and am not totally blown away by them. Colours feel a little bit muted which is odd... Only using HDMI ( 8 bit / 3440 x 1440 @ 100hz ). Got a USB C to displayport cable coming tomorrow so hopefully that will be a little better...
I felt the same tbh, I like my colours punchy so I used the 'RTS' setting and increased the saturation a little through drivers and found it great :cool: (DP cable connected)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
2nd Panel Refresh prompt since ownership now. Effectively every 2 months or so if used daily for WFH and normal use.

20220807_212051.jpg

Caporegime
2nd Panel Refresh prompt since ownership now. Effectively every 2 months or so if used daily for WFH and normal use.

20220807_212051.jpg
Guessing I should run my first one now then! Have been putting it of since obviously the timer was counting when the monitor was in standby with eco off.....

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Run it when the auto prompt comes up. It will come up after 1500 hours. I am not doing mine now, will do it before I go to bed. Doesn't need to be done immediately when prompted of course. The message goes away after about 20 seconds and will run when you go to standby/power button.

Caporegime
Run it when the auto prompt comes up. It will come up after 1500 hours. I am not doing mine now, will do it before I go to bed. Doesn't need to be done immediately when prompted of course. The message goes away after about 20 seconds and will run when you go to standby/power button.
That's what I've been doing for the past 2 months since the first prompt, will be nice not to have it popping up anymore! :p

Associate
Not run mine yet, keeps popping up message to do panel refresh.

The fan noise on my monitor is very quiet can't see why it would bother anybody the air cooled 3080Ti makes a lot more noise while gaming, but even when not gaming monitor is very quiet.

Very happy with this monitor glad I didn't buy a LG 42 inch C2, would have been too big and probably given me eye strain.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've swapped back to my old one temporarily so I can directly see how bad the fan noise is by real-life comparison.

On the replacement, I could hear the fan from the monitor over my fairly noisy PC, at least when I'm on the desktop mode just browsing and things.

My PC sat to the right is definitely not whisper quiet, but the pitch/volume of the fans was off-putting on the new screen as it kept changing. The fans from the PC are more like white noise.

Best way I can describe the fan noise from the new screen, it is as if someone is hoovering a car or something outside, so it sounds kind of muffled, but the pitch changes much like a vacuum cleaner does when it's on different surfaces. Higher => Lower => Higher => Lower etc.

I'm not sure if the fan noise is different on this one because of a better fan, or maybe the firmware fan control curve is different, which means this one just idles lower and is therefore less audible.

Possibly ambient temp feeds into it as well, but I'm sure I was using this older screen in the recent heat wave and it didn't seem to have issues.

Soldato
OP
Not run mine yet, keeps popping up message to do panel refresh.

The fan noise on my monitor is very quiet can't see why it would bother anybody the air cooled 3080Ti makes a lot more noise while gaming, but even when not gaming monitor is very quiet.

Very happy with this monitor glad I didn't buy a LG 42 inch C2, would have been too big and probably given me eye strain.

Some people are more sensitive to fan noise than others and even the fans themselves can emit a different noise - I remember when the ps5 launched there were all sorts of responses because many PS5's sounded different and Sony even used different fans

Associate
What a fun month. Alienware OLED started with half screen green tint and Dell offered a replacement which then turned into a November delivery date. Requested a refund. They arranged 6 dates for DPD to pickup the old monitor and it never got collected on any occasion. All Dell would do is book another date ended up going to Paypal dispute got my money back and a dud unit which Dell have now stated I can keep

Soldato
oh dear, seems like they are really struggling with the logistics around these at the moment! Waiting for them to collect my replacement now, have been told "You will be contacted by our collection team once they are ready to collect the monitor". It's not exactly a small box and is basically sitting in the middle of our hallway at the moment (nowhere else to realistically put it), so I hope they don't take too long! At what point can I start charging them for storage? :p

You could probably sell your dead one for a few £ to be honest if you have it in writing that you can keep it. I'm sure there would be someone out there who is handy with a soldering iron that would be willing to take a punt on repairing it.

Soldato
OP
yay mine has shipped, says its arriving tomorrow, this is nearly two months ahead of the initial delivery date they provided

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
You lot have the patience of a saint I swear. When I decide I want something my brain goes in to overdrive to get it as quick as possible even if it means driving 100+ miles to pick one up somewhere. Hopefully see some more happy stories rather than issues!

Also can someone confirm if I'm being autistic here. Title says "from Dell and Samsung" does that mean collaboration or are Samsung going to release a monitor with the same panel as well? That would explain why I couldn't find anything about a Samsung QD-OLED. @mrk confused me with the warranty comment.

Back
Top Bottom