World first QD-OLED monitor from Dell and Samsung (34 inch Ultrawide 175hz)

Associate
Yeah it took about 5 minutes.

Does anyone know if the standard warranty covers burn-in? My understanding is that it does so I didn't go for premium warranty (since I've never needed it in the past with Dell monitors).

Also, should you always leave the monitor 'on' (i.e never turn off the power button in the corner) so that it can do its refresh thing? It can't do it if the monitor is off - am I right in thinking this?
Pixel refresh works when the monitor is turned off from my experience. You get a prompt to do it and the monitor turns off. Standard warranty covers burn in so it’s not something you should worry about for the warranty period anyway.

Soldato
So my Monitor did arrive today and it's great so colourful and bright compared to my trusty Acer X34 I've been using for years. No BLB or IPS glow of course and great blacks. No issue with text or colour fringing on the desktop. The X34 is slightly sharper I'm sure but my eyes are weakening with age so meh. The monitor curves slightly more than my X34 and the benefit is the window behind me on the left is not actually reflected which was one worry.

I quickly loaded up Shadow of the Tomb Raider to test the HDR and that does exactly what I want. Point lights pop nicely actually too much for my crappy phone to capture properly in the dark room.

kxuh7ff.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Bah, UPS have shifted my delivery to tomorrow when I won't be in, so rescheduled to next Monday now. Don't really mind as obviously I already have one which is use able, but it's a bit of a pain being messed around (again...)

...wonder if I can blag another 5% off? :cry:

*sigh* replacement has just turned up, luckily literally 2 minutes after we got home. Full sealed retail box in good condition, so no idea what needs sending back with the old one. Hopefully I can just swap the panels, as the box is in the attic and it's too hot to be going up there to dig it out!

Associate
Has anyone got scuffed marks on their screen? I have a few that I can't seem to get rid off despite using a slightly damp microfibre cloth.

This thread seems to indicate this is a wider QC issue? https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...aw3423dw_potential_scratchesabrasions_on_the/

I don't think I'll return mine since it's only visible from a low angle and not during normal use.

IMG]

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Man the graphical fidelity when HDR and RTX are both on in Res Evil Village is just so photo realistic many times:

QD-OLED_20220802_194209.jpg

QD-OLED_20220802_195713.jpg

I didn't actually realise just how much of a performance hit RTX plays since with RTX on it's still over 130fps, but with it off it was over 240fps lol. This is with HDR1000 mode and the levels adjusted in the game's HDR brightness screens.

Soldato
Fuuuuu! Replacement also has a dead red subpixel, and even though it's in a less obvious position (about an inch from the right), it's a lot more visible than the one near the middle of my original screen for some reason :(

Interestingly it's on MOB102 firmware, not much info around about what has changed other than possibly some tweaks to how the refresh works, but at this point I'd rather keep the original than this one.

I wonder what it is about the red layer which is causing them to fail more than green and blue?

Soldato
a friend my selling his pc setup and has offered me his ergotron HX 45-647 arm that he used with his samsung g9, that should be ok for this screen shouldn't it?

Man of Honour
HX supports screens weighing 12.7–19.1KG - The QD-OLED without stand weighs 6.92KG so you may find that the screen weighs too little to articulate itself effectively on the pressure hinge as the spring tension is too strong so it goes to its maximum arm height all the time.

If you can try it first....

I have the Ergotron MX which supports a capacity of 6.4–13.6KG and is perfect on this monitor.

Man of Honour
Oh I've also found that there are two strong magnets on the underside of the monitor. not sure what use they serve but my magnetic tail-capped torch has a convenient place to keep itself stored now and the USB port on the monitor makes for easy charging too lol:

hdKKePn.jpg

Both magnets are in the same position on the left and right of the monitor's underside. Def magnets not pieces of metal chassis because the torch repels on one end of each magnet.

Associate
Fuuuuu! Replacement also has a dead red subpixel, and even though it's in a less obvious position (about an inch from the right), it's a lot more visible than the one near the middle of my original screen for some reason :(

Interestingly it's on MOB102 firmware, not much info around about what has changed other than possibly some tweaks to how the refresh works, but at this point I'd rather keep the original than this one.

I wonder what it is about the red layer which is causing them to fail more than green and blue?
Think you just got especially unlucky. I've got a dead green sub-pixel, and seen others say they've had dead green sub-pixels too. Just luck of the draw. In my case I'm just glad it's not centre.

Soldato
a friend my selling his pc setup and has offered me his ergotron HX 45-647 arm that he used with his samsung g9, that should be ok for this screen shouldn't it?
I have a similar wall mounted version and that was able to lift the 34" X34 Predator which is a heavier display but probably not as heavy as the G9. Ergotron arms are good quality and there's a clip on VESA bracket adapter supplied with the monitor.

Soldato
Has anyone got scuffed marks on their screen? I have a few that I can't seem to get rid off despite using a slightly damp microfibre cloth.

This thread seems to indicate this is a wider QC issue? https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem...aw3423dw_potential_scratchesabrasions_on_the/

I don't think I'll return mine since it's only visible from a low angle and not during normal use.

Not scuff marks but residue stains across the bottom of the screen maybe left over from a quick wipe over. I used a glass/mirror cleaning spray to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom