This is getting ridiculous (energy prices - Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Out of what total capacity? Is it really not windy enough even out at sea. I know its a nice sunny day but surely these things can still operate at smaller speeds?
I'm not sure what the total capacity is at the moment. The 0.7GW I quoted was the total power generation from wind turbines at the time. I can't tell how much is down to low wind speeds and how much might be from turbines offline for maintenance, etc.
You can see live data here: https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Also why don't we have deals with countries we can actually trust? If we have less wind in the summer, well lets work with Spain and France and use their solar. In return, when they get less sun in winter and we get more wind, we can share our wind power. A European renewables network would work brilliantly and doesn't need to be at much if any risk. I know Im advocating self reliance, and I do believe in that, but we could also work with close trusted neighbours too that is just sensible.
We do exactly that.

Soldato
To be fair this is absolutely correct as well - it was unfair of me to lay the blame entirely on the green lobby nonethless I still believe they have played a significant part. As for the future - I have no idea, you could well be right however I bet those power plants don't look so expensive now.
You know what else is inexpensive? Onshore wind.... but the Tories are outright refusing to re-allow it. Cheapest power around.

From the leadership hustings, it sounds like solar might be next on the chopping block.

Refocus your anger on the maniacs in charge.

(Fwiw, I agree on nuclear being part of the mix, though it's more of a baseload source than a top-up to wind/solar as you can't switch it on and off easily)

Soldato
A useful source, thank you. The dashboard itself could be improved though. Solar is pulling 8GW, more than nuclear, but the dial is small and tucked away to the side. Also its not clear what gas use is and what total import/export is. Plus all the figures added together don't add to total consumption. 5/10.

Caporegime
A useful source, thank you. The dashboard itself could be improved though. Solar is pulling 8GW, more than nuclear, but the dial is small and tucked away to the side. Also its not clear what gas use is and what total import/export is. Plus all the figures added together don't add to total consumption. 5/10.

Soldato

Didn't know that. Another **** up to add to the list.
I bet you we sell it somehow instead of use it for our own needs considering the quantity.

I wouldn’t even surprised with this **** hole of a country anymore.

Soldato
I assume the "demand" figure on the left includes the power export interconnects.
So basically if you add up all the positive values, that equals the demand figure and shows how it's being met.
The source of the demand is all the negative values plus the demand from all the users - which isn't shown.

Soldato
Same with Trawsfynydd, they would have one instantly, all the infrastructure is there already like the one on Anglesey. so short sighted not to use it.
all I know is the warm water there made for some nice trout fishing ..... the fish didn't glow in the dark however which was dissapointibg ;)

Soldato
So we basically make almost enough to support ourselves already or am I reading that wrong?

It surprised me too. Very little imported. Of course the raw gas producing 47% of demand is probably imported.

I am surprised how little wind is producing. It is a nice day but surely still windy out at sea, since when is it ever not windy in this country. Would be good to know overall wind capacity.

Nuclear is a joke compared to France which was producing over 20 GW that way compared to our 4.7 GW.

Soldato
It surprised me too. Very little imported. Of course the raw gas producing 47% of demand is probably imported.

I am surprised how little wind is producing. It is a nice day but surely still windy out at sea, since when is it ever not windy in this country. Would be good to know overall wind capacity.

Nuclear is a joke compared to France which was producing over 20 GW that way compared to our 4.7 GW.
Wind power peaks and troughs all the time, when it happens in winter we will be in trouble.

Soldato
The governments of the last 40 years have been stuck in dark ages & incompetent basically.

I still can't get over how an island has a hosepipe ban(yes I know you can't use sea water but desalination isn't a new age technology)

Associate

This has for decades been the main disadvantage to being reliant wind/solar that for some reason seems to get completely forgotten when it suits an argument. Without energy storage, renewable generation is basically half a solution to a problem.

I can only see one way out of the current mess and it's basically to throw everything at extracting maximum domestic gas as fast as possible to feed the existing generation infastructure. Everything else will either take too long or only be a half solution.

Back
Top Bottom