Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Kudos to Octopus for allowing their staff to relax at week close.
Imagine working on the phones, taking calls from angry ‘customers’ 5 days a week for 8+ hours. Would certainly test my patience.

The Octopus Team have done a great job - they deserve this !!

The Daily Mail should be ashamed of this reporting, trying to stir up conflict.
Looking at the comments on the DM and Twitter it looks like it has backfired for them

Soldato
People get outraged over the weirdest things, as if cooling off a little early on a Friday is going to ultimately matter...

Except to make people want to continue working for a company at a time when their jobs must be ****.

Honestly, the battles i have about the cost to both customer service, because nobody stays long enough to get good at their job, or to the business, through recruitment and training, of paying people nothing and then treating people like ****. Little perks cost nothing in the grand scheme of things, except they're really easy to quantify and the benefits aren't.

Caporegime
Except to make people want to continue working for a company at a time when their jobs must be ****.

Honestly, the battles i have about the cost to both customer service, because nobody stays long enough to get good at their job, or to the business, through recruitment and training, of paying people nothing and then treating people like ****. Little perks cost nothing in the grand scheme of things, except they're really easy to quantify and the benefits aren't.
Except it clearly won't last as this country hates itself and they'll eventually want to strip the company bare once shareholders demand it.

Soldato
Imagine working on the phones, taking calls from angry ‘customers’ 5 days a week for 8+ hours. Would certainly test my patience.

Looking at the comments on the DM and Twitter it looks like it has backfired for them
caviar on the menu.

How dare they!

Soldato
Yep you get a week of answering calls from angrier than usual customers, I'd want a drink or two to unwind as well.

Daily mail just gunning for any angle they can get with energy company stories at the moment, even if it's trivial.

Can't believe someone felt strongly enough to take a pic of the fridge and contact the media!

Soldato
Yep you get a week of answering calls from angrier than usual customers, I'd want a drink or two to unwind as well.

Daily mail just gunning for any angle they can get with energy company stories at the moment, even if it's trivial.

Can't believe someone felt strongly enough to take a pic of the fridge and contact the media!
Going to back fire on the MSM when the horde is smashing the door down

Soldato

I thought good on them. I’m an Octopus customer and I’m glad they treat their staff well.

Soldato
lol I read about that.

1st off whilst I am a customer I have no other link to octopus however whilst I get it, the optics are not good, if the money is from the bosses pockets I am ok with it.

the staff must be having a pretty rough time of it, the last thing octopus will want is people quitting. burnout is a thing (I came close myself in the pandemic) and of this keeps the call centres running properly for the other 39 hrs a week I don't see an issue.

I have used their support a few times (online not over the phone) and every time I have been dealt with better than most other companies i deal with.
just my 2p and i get why some disagree

edit should have.hit refresh before posting ;)

Associate
So i take it the daily mail staff never take advantage of works do's or financial benefits, robbing the paying customers of money that could have been saved?

Soldato
It's not even robbing customers if the CEO is paying for it out of their wage.

Octopus is still a private company, how they spend/invest/pay is up to them. Ultimately they haven't collapsed when a lot of companies have, and the rates they charge at cap are the same as everyone else.

Soldato
It's not even robbing customers if the CEO is paying for it out of their wage.

Octopus is still a private company, how they spend/invest/pay is up to them. Ultimately they haven't collapsed when a lot of companies have, and the rates they charge at cap are the same as everyone else.
Actually Octopus is one of the few if only company that is slightly under the cap if you qualify for the loyalty bonus you get effectively 13.15p per day off the electric standing charge.

Soldato
The government control the building of new power stations, it's a failure of energy security policy for decades that has led us to this.
Yeah because every Government so far has full belief in capitalism and a laissez faire attitude to the market. Just reduce taxes and regulation to the minimum and eventually the market will build all the power stations we need, this time it really will happen after Truss lowers taxes again. I don't even think there is an energy security policy, clearly not as we have no energy security it must be lost down the back of a desk somewhere.

Don
Yeah because every Government so far has full belief in capitalism and a laissez faire attitude to the market. Just reduce taxes and regulation to the minimum and eventually the market will build all the power stations we need, this time it really will happen after Truss lowers taxes again. I don't even think there is an energy security policy, clearly not as we have no energy security it must be lost down the back of a desk somewhere.
You do get that private companies can't just pitch up and build a power plant without government approval right?

Soldato
What are the most energy intensive industries, it will a good idea to watch for possible failures are an early warning
Usually they give the tar supplier near Heathrow a call and tell them to turn off the heaters for a while. Can’t be done for too long. Manufacturing is usually the most energy intensive so likely to suffer the most from energy restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom